Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

It won't work transferring. When I filled my daughters hydrocodon even down here it had to be written on a green prescription pad I believe. My dr is mailing a script to my house in Michigan for 120 more norcos my husband will fill and mail them to me. But that will be the last of the meds my os will give he only covers pain meds for 90 days after the op. It is a long ways to go till the 30th but I will survive. I will try and test tomorrow her friend is taking her to chemo and they will be gone most of the day.

What have people found that works for pain that you can get otc. I am willing to try almost anything to help with it.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
At this stage, Tylenol/Acetaminophen could work well for you, if you take it regularly.

It's OTC and the effective dose is 1,000 mg (1G) 4-6 hourly, to a maximum of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours.
Check all the other meds you're taking, to make sure none of them contain Tylenol. If they do, add their content to your daily calculation of the maximum dose, so that you don't exceed 4,000 mg in any 24 hours.
 
I'm not taking any other Tylenol meds. I am taking 1 tylenol ex and 1 Motrin every 6 hrs or so. I will try just going with 2 Tylenol ex every 6 hrs. Thank you celle. I believe the Tylenol are 500 mg a pill.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
I will when I get up in the morning. Online it said 500mg. I will double check with the bottle tomorrow.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
So I went and signed up for a gym down here. I need to get this quad working again. I'm worried it was injured in the surgery more then normal. It will occasionally work but when it does it caused extremely burning or stabbing pain. And will take a few minutes to go away. I have been taking 2 Tylenol 500 mg every 6 hrs. It is helping with the pain some. I have gotten really bad about icing and elevating I maybe have an. Hour a day that I put the leg up. I was able to sleep on my right side for a few hours last night that was nice for a change. Hope everyone has a good night.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
I can but it's painful. I'm wondering if it's the lack of pain meds I'm not sure. It kills me to lift it up on the bed.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
I hope you can get some relief. Make time for yourself. You will not be any good to anyone if that knee gets worse. At least the weekend is getting close and your husband can overnight your meds to you.
 
Yes in about 2 weeks. I don't see the point in paying all the extra to do 2 overnights because Peyton's have to be because one is a refrigerated med. I'm counting down the days. Weekends don't help them I have pey here all day. And the next 2 weekends are 3 day. It seems I get less down time when she is home all day. I mainly just do a lot of cleaning (I enjoy it somewhat) and take her to her appointments about once a week. I'm hoping to get past this stage soon.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
After my first TKR I had the non-functional quad. Leg lifts were extremely painful, and I couldn't keep my leg perfectly straight when I raised it. I called my OS because I was worried that something was terribly wrong. He reassured me that everything was okay, and that I should just keep trying to tighten my quad and lift my leg. My quad woke up eventually and is nice and strong now. You'll get there, too!
 
Thank you clip less. I'm just ready for it to be normal. With out it working properly my gait is off also because of lack of support.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
I was frustrated with my quad, I cried over not doing straight leg raises. Then when I could I kept them up because I felt it getting easier every day.
 
I can't wait till it gets easier and the pain is gone.

One good thing it's not as stiff today I ended up kicking my leg pillows off the bed while sleeping. When I woke I was laying comfortably without them. Pain is about a 3 today so that is an improvement. Hopefully everyone is doing good today.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
Thank you clip less. I'm just ready for it to be normal.
After my BTKR, I felt the same way. I would wake up in the AM and wonder, "Is this going to be the day?"---meaning that is this going to be the day that all of the pieces to the puzzle fall into place? I truly understand how frustrated you are.

It took quite some time. I know we preach patience here---I had to learn to reach deep inside me for patience that I did not know that I had. I had my BTKR in early November, and I still had a very slight limp the first week of April the following year. It took me about 6 months to reach 80%-85%, and it was not until I was at the eight month mark that I was at 90%-95% and getting close to 100%.

I would go to PT twice a week, and countless times I would ask my PT, "When am I going to get there?" They would smile and say, "You will get there---trust me. I just don't know when, but you will get there."

They were right. It took longer than I was prepared for, and longer than I would have liked, but I got there, and it was very much worth it.

You will get there, too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have got to start having more patients. Which is very hard for me. I know I don't rest it enough or take proper care all the time. I keep going even when the knee is done. I'm down here trying to do everything even when mil tells me to slow down. I was just hopping to be farther along by this time but it will get their when it's ready. Thank you for reminding me to have patients.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
I know I don't rest it enough or take proper care all the time. I keep going even when the knee is done.
Some how, some way, you need to have some "down time" for your knee.

I returned to the classroom at eight weeks post-BTKR, and, in looking back, by doing that, I slowed down my recovery even more.

Try to make sure that you are icing, elevating, and resting. Listen to the knee and give it some time to calm down.
 
I will try to get that back in my routine. Especially the icing and elevating. It's just hard to slow down I'm someone who likes to keep busy.


Rtkr November 5, 2015
Mua December 21, 2015
 
Try not to think of it as slowing down. Instead, think of rest time as a time when you're working hard at healing your knee.

Since you can do straight leg raises now, even with a bit of difficulty, I don't think you need to keep doing them. Your quads are going to keep on recovering and I think they'd appreciate a rest from that exercise.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom