Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Ask your PT to show you how to do steps. Almost all of us need some support and you should be able to get that support from a walker or a cane. It's too late now, but yo should have been shown before coming out of hospital, whether or not you have steps at home - simply because of the situation you found yourself in with the kerb. You could also have asked your mother to give you some support.

Even though it's 14 months since my latest TKR, I still hold on to the rail when I go up or down stairs - it's more a question of confidence now, rather than needing support.
 
My Mom wasn't with me I was out by myself or I'm sure she would have. I'll have to talk to pt about showing me how to do stairs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
"Russian setting"? I've never heard of that. Was it a typo?
If not, please can you explain, because I'd like to learn.

no it's actual name on the machine is Russian inferential or something to that side. they put for electrodes on your quad across from each other and when it's time it send a charge strong enough to cause a muscular contraction and you squeeze with it then it lets you rest for a few minutes then repeat for however long they set it.


---------------------------------
RTKR
08 Dec 15
|| 25 Years Young :) ||
 
My night was good I got a full 8 hours of sleep. Or went good today she took off the steri strips. I was hooked up to the burrito muscular machine it felt weird but no pain. How was your night and hope your day goes good to b


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beginning my recovery.
so the steri strips were taken off. The incision looks good. I have some scar tissue under neath the knee cap area but none above. Did some new exercises today. Practiced on the Cane but I'm not quiet ready to use full time so she wants me using it around the house. Their is still no improvement with my flexion the extension was a little better. And my muscle still has a hard time contracting. My swelling is down a lot in the lower portion of my leg and some in my knee. I actually had extra room in my shoes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your knee is looking good. Glad the swelling has gone down, mine has too! The walking & stairs/steps will come in time, I am having problems with extension & flexion too & had my op a few days before you. I went to physio yesterday & they stretched the muscles & they do feel better today, just got a numb feeling on outside of knee cap, have you?
 
Yeah I'm numb feeling on the outside also. I definitely feel better after pt. the numbness will go away eventually it just feels really weird. We will both get our flexion and extension in time our knees aren't ready to do that yet. I'm guessing within the month I will have gained quite a bit more rom and hopefully you do to.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your incision looks great. You are going to have a nice, thin scar! It might be a bit early to work on strengthening, but you'll be ready soon.
 
Yeah I'm happy about the incision he did an amazing job with that. So hopefully in a year I will barely be able to see it. I like when they use steri strips it seems to heal better. And it's a pretty straight line.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your incision looks good!!! I know you are happy about that. Add me to the "numb club"! It is so funny when it itches and you scratch it and cannot feel it. Hahaha! Eight hours of sleep??? I am very happy for you. Do you take anything to help you sleep? At first, I was sleeping really well, now, not so much. Hope you have a good day!
 
I'm not taking anything. I'm just trying to go to bed between 10-11 and that has seemed to help. And I wake up at about 6am like normal. I'm sure I will still have the sleepless nights. And don't allow myself to sleep to much during the day. It does feel weird touching or itching the numb area. Hopefully you start getting more sleep soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
no it's actual name on the machine is Russian inferential or something to that side. they put for electrodes on your quad across from each other and when it's time it send a charge strong enough to cause a muscular contraction and you squeeze with it then it lets you rest for a few minutes then repeat for however long they set it.
That sounds like the regular TENS (or E-Stim) machine that is used quite often in PT.
TENS machines for pain management
 
Interesting, I am quite good at stairs (if I do say so myself!). I have stairs to get into the house, and with hip surgery three years ago, and ankle surgery last year ( including 6 weeks totally non weight-bearing), I got a lot of practice. I've always been on crutches, though, not a walker. I would be clueless how to do it with a walker.

As everyone has said a banister is quite important, since you will use it for support. A curb is a bit different, since there is no banister. So make sure you specifically address curbs with the PT. good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It looked just like a tens unit. Except it had a label nmes also on it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think the contraction stimulator is different than tens unit. It's been 11 years since I had to use it. Seems like it was a different electrical frequency. I know it helped me a lot as my quads were immobilized for 7 weeks.

@Vangheluwec great to see you progressing.
 
Whatever it is, I hope it helps you. I was hooked up to the TENS the first day of PT and it was so strange having the pad over the numb area. They kept turning it up and then ....BAM!....I had feeling there and it was not pleasant! hahahaha! I had them turn it down.
 
Back
Top Bottom