Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Thank you you make good points. I will have my pt let me know for sure that I am ready.

I can actually get in and out of my car very easily my seat goes back far enough. I drove to the gas station just a few blocks away. Driving was not to hard to do. I have to get some practice in over the next few weeks I have a 2 hour drive on the 16th.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had a good day today. I took 1 ibuprofen 800mg in the morning and another around dinner my pain has been about a 2. I am able to walk much farther than I was a week ago I'm still slow at it but am putting much more weight on the knee just wish I could get rid of the stiffnes the swelling is down quite a bit but it still their. It's amazing what a week can do I'm sure that I will still have some bad days. Now just to figure out this burning in my leg. My ankle is sore after walking but I think that's due to my gait. Hopefully soon my sleep will get back to normal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also had that burning and pain in lower leg and ankle, PT said it was related to how your leg is restraint during surgery. Mine is beginning to become less painful. I agree this inability to sleep is not a good thing. The sun is out here in NC lets hope for a better day. Sounds like you are doing well.
 
Great news that you are seeing improvement! You are a few days ahead of me, so I am heartened to follow your knee!
 
Hopefully soon my sleep will get back to normal.

I agree this inability to sleep is not a good thing
The sleep issues are, fortunately normal---and will subside in time. Next to the length of my BTKR recovery, this had to be next in line for being the most frustrating aspect.I was like a modern-day Diogenes, but instead of looking for one honest man, I was looking for one good night's sleep.

I would wander around the house---I would start in my bed, sleep for about an hour, and then wake up---I was not in pain, but I could not get comfortable. I would then migrate to the bed in the guest bedroom, the couch in the living room, the futon in the computer room, and I would finally crash (with my yellow lab beside me the whole time) when I threw the futon mattress onto the floor.

I actually found this forum on one of my late-night forays onto the internet, and I watched about all of the Law and Order series until about 3:00AM every night, and I played countless games of pinball on my computer, too.

sleep when and where you can and just take all the naps that you need. It is indeed frustrating, but it will subside in time.
 
It's not that I can't get comfortable at night I just can't seem to go to sleep.

The sun is shining her in mi but it is freezing. Really wish I could move to Texas for the winter but I don't think that will happen till next year.

My pt wants me to work on the thigh muscle it's not working right if it doesn't start by Monday they will hook it up to electrodes and make it work. She said mine may be nerve pain in the front of my leg. She did very gentle manipulation and massage on the knee. Working on getting my walking right my gaite is off. Gave me new exercise to do at home. My flexion was 58 today so it is not good but I know it will get better. The exercises she gave me are mainly stretches and leg lifts. Shes working on my extension more then the flexion just placing something under the ankle and let gravity work for me. I did not leave in any pain and the pain caused by pt was very little more of a pulling but nothing major.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations! I know how great it feels to be able to drive again. The two hour trip could get a little uncomfortable- isn't there anyone else to take the wheel?

I had an ankle issue that was probably caused by changing my foot strike. During my first hospital post op walk PT pointed out that I was "trying" to land on the outside of my foot, an accomodation I had developed to compensate for my increasingly valgus knee. I didn't need to step that way after surgery, and as I re-learned a normal footstrike my ankle took notice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Being able to drive again was just like getting my license at 16. I was so excited:)
I am also having pain in my ankle and just like Clipless stated, accommodation. I have orthotics that were made with an extra wedge on the outside of the heel to help with the patella tracking. I no longer need that part so until my new ones are done I am walking without and that ankle is letting me know.
I finally broke down and got some Tylenol PM last night. Like everyone else I can not get comfortable, the knee tweaks when I roll over or shift position. Best night sleep I've had in a while.
 
No I don't know if my insurance will let someone else drive. I drive to town (40 min one way) today and on the way back I had to brake with my left foot.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm flat footed really bad so it's making it worse my leg still wants to tilt in. I had orthotics in the past but I no longer wear tennis shoes they got to be to uncomfortable. I usually wear uggs or toms not the greatest support but they don't bother me. Maybe I should try something more supportive and that might help. I just don't want to buy a pair till after I'm walking right


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If there's room in your Ugg's you could try a store-bought arch support like Dr. Scholl's. I am totally onboard with slip-on shoes during early recovery. So easy.
 
I added my 18 y.o. son to my insurance so he could drive me around in my car after surgery. Guess how expensive that is? He has his own car but it's a low-slung coupe. Forget it, ha ha.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea about the insole in the boots. I don't think I can add my mom to my insurance because it's registered and insured thru Texas and she is a mi resident. I'll have to check into that. It's just so much cheaper to take my car then her truck. Don't blame you for adding him to yours. I remember when I was younger having the older sporty car. Now I get to have more of a family car. I had to give up the convertible last year. 2 door cars don't work good with kids


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think your mother may be OK with you in the car. Be very careful if you drive with crazy weather lately.
 
Many times I grabbed an ice pack on my way out the door and stuffed it up my pant leg to my knee, even while I was driving. It didn't impede my driving and helped keep the swelling down a bit.
 
I'll try that with a gel ice pack thank you.

I'm dreading the snow and ice this year it's my first time with a rear wheel drive so I don't know how to drive it in the snow. As long as the horrible weather holds off till after then.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Have Santa take you to a running store and get you a very well fitting pair of sneakers for your new gait. It's expensive but once you know what works best for you then you can always reorder from the Internet. It helped my lower leg and ankle and also helped IT band problems.
 
I'll probably end up at the Nike store. They have always been the most comfortable. I think Santa's broke till mid January lol. She has a birthday on Jan 13th also.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh my sleep schedule is so off. I fall asleep by 8pm and up around 12am. Now back to sleep for a nap. Pain is down today. Just wish I could get this thigh muscle working but that will come in time and need to work on this stiffness. Their doesn't seem to be any noticeable swelling today. My knee doesn't seem to be as tender to touch anymore. A lot of numbness on the outside part of my knee and upper calf.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom