Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Yeah it was. Now I don't have to worry about taking the Coumadin I wasn't taking anyway. I'm really bad about remembering to take meds daily.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you don't have to take the Coumadin anymore!

The exhaustion was difficult for me also. But you are just under a month out of surgery. I'd think in a few weeks you could start out slow. After my 2nd surgery we would go out for lunch after a dr. appointment (I saw my OS twice a week for a month), but this was about 8-9 weeks after the original TKR. I made sure the leg was elevated by sitting in a booth with my right side up on the seat. Once a week my friend would drive me a few blocks to her house where we'd watch a movie, but it was nice just to have a change of scenery. Good news is that by Christmas you should be able to enjoy things, but not over do it.
 
You'll get your stamina back. It does take time. You're not even a month since your surgery and you're doing so well. I'm glad the Doppler was negative. I'm sitting here with my knee elevated with ice on it because my knee still swells after a day of work.
 
At least I'm getting close to being able to do things.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You really are. 2016 will be a great year for all our new knees. You'll have a pain free future with your husband and little girl!
 
I can already walk a lot better and farther. Walked into and out of the dr office without hurting is a huge improvement. Then stopped at a small restaurant and managed that. I'm very happy with the distance that I can walk within the last week. I still get stiff but other then that no problem.
Now to find a cane so I can get using that. I still lean a lot on my walker so trying to not really lean on it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Most pharmacies sell canes. They even have fancy ones too! Your therapist can adjust it for you and show you how to use it if you're not sure. My home PT adjusted mine and showed me how to use it.
 
Yeah I plan on getting one this weekend. I'll be happy to be done with the walker. I got some strange looks when I'm using it. Same as when I use a scooter thing at a store.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I kept crashing into things with the scooter so I grabbed a cart and used it as a walker. Needless to say I wasn't able to grab too many things because I got very tired.
 
Yeah I hate the scooter. But I don't do shopping by myself so that helps. I'm just waiting until it's better another month or so and I should be pretty good. Small trip I'll walk but with having to re stock everything and get some Christmas dinner stuff. It will be at least an hour in the store


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed using the electric shopping cart! Once, early on, the store let me ride it all the way out to the car and my teenage son drove it back, lol. I used a walker for about a month after both surgeries, but I didn't care for the "looks", either. I was glad to graduate to the cane, and then to nothing. The walking aides, annoying as they are, are sure better than risking a fall.
 
I agree with you their they are better then falling. I don't want to do anything to mess up the knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Having been on crutches for the last 3 months I think I prefer the walker....at least for shorter distances. Got these great callouses on my hands:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't like crutches I have a pair but I won't use them. It's hard to walk with those using both legs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went from a walker to crutches to (briefly) a cane after my BTKR.

If you are still leaning on the walker, I would not think about moving to a cane at this time----it is better to use a walker a day or two longer than to hurry and go to another walking aid too soon. Use what you need---not what you want to need.

Use that walker until you are absolutely sure---and that the PT's let you know that you are ready----to change to the cane. Your strength, your gait, and your safety are what is important.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom