Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Good morning, I hope you finally got some sleep! I agree, those naps during the day are heaven!
 
My daughter took care of all my decorations. See what your daughter can start doing once she gets older? I finally fell asleep around 2 or so. I hope you are able to get some naps in today.
 
Had a good day today very little pain in my knee itself but the tibia (leg bone in front of leg) and my ankle are sore. I start outpatient pt tomorrow I have been their before and she is always gentle. Kind of excited I will probably do 2x a week to start she probably won't have me do to much tomorrow I think that's more of an evaluation. Hoping I can get some sleep tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok got about 3 hours sleep. Can't wait to get to regular pt today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah my script says 3x but I'm going to do 2x for a few weeks. I'm just dreading the walk outside. I have no stairs but their is a long hallway and a long entrance way outside. I'm happy to get out I'm so bored just being at home.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was so happy to get out of the house (basically 2 months of hospital/rehab/Drs/) that when I went to pt I made friends with all the PTs, PAs and other patients who were on my schedule. I still go in and visit when I'm seeing my OS (they are in my Drs offices). Have fun, but don't let anyone push your leg.
 
I won't let them push it. When I was doing home pt I would let her hold it after I bent it. And she was great about not pushing on it and letting me be the one to bend it. I've had Mary before and she is gentle so hopefully she will be this time. I'm not sure how long I'll have her for though she has a baby due any day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Pt went great I don't have my normal therapist. But the new one is great she's not going to do any forcing of my knee. She will start massages and start me on the newstep machine. She doesn't want me doing the bike because I will have a hard time getting on it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How exhausted are you after getting ready, getting there, pt and home again?
 
I just took a 3 hour nap. It took a bit out of me. But I'm happy to start it. Over the last week I have done a lot better at getting around walking. So I can go farther without breaks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Kind of excited I will probably do 2x a week to start

Yeah my script says 3x but I'm going to do 2x for a few weeks.
Trust me---2 X's a week is enough. I had a BTKR, and the most I ever went to PT in a week was twice---I did go to the gym on Saturdays and stretched with exer-bands, rode the stationary bike, and sat in the sauna and stretched some more---I took it gently.

I think twice a week is enough---and it gives you something to look forward t---getting out of the house and such, but it allows you to rest and to not overdo things.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another point to consider about 3 X's a week---nothing you can do will speed up your recovery---but going to PT too often can tax not only your new knee, but also your body, as well---remember---when you get the urge to work harder----do the opposite. This really can help you in recovery---fight the urge to work harder---work smarter, instead.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking 2x is plenty this month. December is a busy month for me. Tomorrow and the 11th I have a 40 min car ride one way to dr office. Then the 16th my daughter has appointments in Detroit that can't be rescheduled. ( she has nf1 and scoliosis with a prior spinal fusion) it her 6 month check up. And that is almost 2 hours one way. I have to do the drive to Detroit I'm just hoping I'm ready to drive. If not my mom will do it. But it's an all day thing first apt at 10am then next is at 12:30 so I'm looking at about 8 hours till I'm back home. Then the 18th we have dance recital. Ugh no rest this month. So 2x pt should be great. And the 5th I have to go grocery shopping about 30 min away the last time I've done any regular shopping was beginning of November so we're low on food. And can't due till Saturday because need his check to buy food.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow you do have a lot of things to do. I found that when I had to be in the car for more than an hour or so my knee would get very sore and stiff. I always had a cane with me even after I stopped using it most of the time. I also had my ice packs with me that I put around my knee as much as possible. I packed a cooler to keep them cold. I also used the motorized cart when I had a big shopping order to get.
 
I will be using the cart I'm not ready to shop that far. I haven't switched to a cane yet still using the walker. But that is a great idea about the ice. I'm just worried about the Detroit trip because if I can drive I'll take my car. It's a Lexus IS so it sits closer to the ground. I'm afraid I won't be able to get out. I'll bring my ice pack along and we can stop off and get ice from the pop machines.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It was tough for me to get into and out of regular cars. I have a crossover so it wasn't a problem. Maybe when it gets close to going you can try it out. Or bring the cane so you can push up with it and then get your walker out. You have a few days to try it out when your husband is around. I had to always put my seat back to get in and out of my car too.
 
Yeah I'll have to practice it. I have no problem with my moms truck which has made it nice. I plan on getting a cane Saturday while shopping. It will just be weird getting in the driver seat. Hopefully my seat goes back far enough.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So dr visit wore me out. Had the Doppler came back good no blood clots. I forgot while I was their to ask for something to help with the swelling. Last night my leg kept waking me up my shin felt like it was on fire. I'm guessing it was nerve pain. The car ride felt like it gave me motion sickness ( never had that before ). My knee is a bit swollen from today so icing it. But it's not to painful.
I can't wait till I can actually get out of the house with everything and not feel exhausted. I'm not use to this I'm usually a busy person.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom