Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

Our Xmas tree will go up at the end of next week & hopefully I will be able to do it with the help of my daughter. The family are going to let me sit back this Christmas & do nothing....I am going to make the most of sitting enjoying time with my Grandson. Don't over do it @Vangheluwec
 
I'll do my best to not over do it. I'm not going to decorate like I usually do. Just the tree and a few small things. I already have to go to town Tuesday so I'll get my bow then. I live in a small town and it is almost 40 minutes to get to Walmart and others.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Please don't overdo things on your trip to town. It should be only a very short trip, as it's still early days and you're going to tire easily.
 
I have to go to my os office for a Doppler on my leg or else I wouldn't even be going. I will do my best not to overdo it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Question. Is it normal that my op leg feels longer than my other leg? I don't notice it when I'm walking it just feels like that when I am standing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My leg feels a different length when standing - but I am sure mine is due to all the swelling. There is no way for me to tell what it really feels like!:thud:

Good luck on the doppler. Please ask the technician to tell you when she is going to mash on your poor, swollen leg. I was lying on the bed and the first tech warned me each time. Then a second tech had to come recheck and she just jumps right in and starts mashing - not a good thing without warning. :bawl:
 
I will be sure to ask that. It makes it sound like it will be an uncomfortable procedure. Thank you for the warning.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am sure it will be ok for you. My leg is just very bruised and swollen from the Xarelto mishap. You are lying there, looking up, and then all of a sudden there is a squeeze-surprise! Hahaha! Wear your going to the doctor panties. They will expose your leg and then tuck a washcloth in the edge to protect your underwear from the gel. Such fun....
 
I'm not taking my pants off. Nope not happening they will have to work around it. I'm one of those stubborn patients. I remember at the hospital they changed my gown and took off my underwear and when I woke up and found out I went off on whoever it was. I don't remember if I was in recovery or my room.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you are having a Doppler like I did for a blood clot, you will have to take your pants off, leaving your underwear on. You are covered with a sheet, they then uncover your leg to work on it. It is like an ultrasound when you are pregnant- squirt gel then move the wand checking for blood flow. If they suspect a clot, please have it done. Someone else may have had a different experience, but I have had it twice and it was the same both times.
 
Question. Is it normal that my op leg feels longer than my other leg? I don't notice it when I'm walking it just feels like that when I am standing. How bad is your non-operative leg? Have you lost cartilage in that?

My right leg is now definitely longer than the left, but my PT says that after the left knee is done, they should be even. In my case, both knees are/were bone on bone and the loss of cartilage and meniscus is probably part of the reason I've lost an inch in height. (I'm sure my spine & hip arthritis has contributed however.) They say the amount of bone removed is equal to the prosthesis but I believe that spacer adds back the height that the cartilage formerly took. Will be interesting to see!
 
Wow I guess that makes sense about the op leg. Good luck on getting the other side done.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a bit unusual to routinely do a Doppler (ultrasound) test after a TKR. Your surgeon probably has his reasons, but I haven't heard of it being done routinely before.
 
Hmm i don't know why he does it then. I figured it was standard to have it done.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
LOL! Yes, I too believe the leg with the new knee is longer! Like Kayak 59, I think that inch of height I lost back when was due to the cartilage disappearing from the joints. Whether it is or isn't longer, I am used to the way it feels now.

To those trying to sleep with new knees, it really helps to put a "small" soft pillow between your knees when trying to sleep on your side. The sooner you can roll to your side the happier your back will be and you should be able to sleep a little better..
 
I will try my side again soon it was just so uncomfortable the last time I did. Makes sense that it's all the Break down my knee has had over the years.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had an ultrasound done also. It was done exactly as Timetolive described it. It did hurt me a bit when they pressed hard into my leg. ( there pretty big). It didn't take that long at all. My leg also seems a little longer than before. My leg used to go out at an angle from my knee so even when I had my knees together my feet were pretty far apart. I'm not sure if the difference in length is just my perception ar it is actually true.
 
We're supposed to both be sleeping!! I hope you can fall asleep soon. I'm in my recliner since I still am not comfortable in my bed.
 
I'm no where near ready to fall asleep. Oh well I can sleep during the day tomorrow. Hope you get some tonight.
Your tree looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom