Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

[Bonesmart.org] Beginning my recovery.
she sits by me almost all day. Since the surgery. Gotta love my fur baby always somewhere near my knee. It comforting she doesn't let me be alone be alone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been laying here for hours and can't sleep my pain is minimal it's just a dull ache nothing like it has been. It's 4am my time. I think when I see my dr next week I may ask about something to help me sleep. I have even cut down on coffee I don't drink it past 5pm. After that I switch to water. So I don't know what is keeping me up almost every night. I usually can fall asleep around 1am and sleep till around 6am.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it's because we can't get comfortable in our old sleeping positions & also even a dull ache can wake us up & it's on our mind about meds. Last night was the first time I have felt that I could try to sleep on my side & the scar was not pulling as it has been.
@Vangheluwec we had our surgery a few days apart so we seem to be having the same sort of sleeping patterns. I have cat naps through the day & begin to feel so tired around 5pm so I thought maybe I would have just one sleep around 3pm then I could hopefully go to bed a bit later than I have been. I think it's all trial & error on all we are going through no real answers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum[/QUOTE]
 
I don't know what causes it but sleep is still a problem. Sometimes you just cannot get sleepy.

I wake up 2-3 times during the night & have not slept more than 6 hour since the end of September.
Not a pain issue either because I have not had to take Tylenol at 2am the last few nights.

Just something we must endure during recovery.
 
@Vangheluwec may be on the right track. After a few weeks to a month without sleeping in the nights you may need to take something to jump start your sleep pattern. Tylenol PM helped me. I'd take one an hour before sleep and keep one by my bed for when I woke up in the night. Taking two before bed may be good, it is trial and error until your body gets it sleep cycle back.
 
I just can't wait for this part to be normal again. It's making me irritable when I don't get a full nights rest. Maybe ill try something like the Tylenol pm. The hard part is I hear everything and usually get woken up easy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am a light sleeper also. I tried to not nap during the day, but like you, I just got irritable and gave up. The pain and lack of sleep gets overwhelming. Try to rest when you can. When I wake up, I (of course) go to the bathroom, then take a walk around the house (I am afraid I am going to wear a path through the rooms!) and it seems to relax the knee and I can then lay back down and rest. I take a diphenhydramine before bedtime with my morphine - it helps until about 3 a.m. I am careful about taking Tylenol, so I just use the generic Benedaryl - diphenhydramine.
 
I have to try something. Some nights I do great others it rough.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For being 5 my daughter was a big help( my mom went to the store to get some thanksgiving things for pie) she helped with my pt and even did some with me lol. Now if only she could reach the ice cubes but mom will be back soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Daughters are precious! My daughter is 33 and has been invaluable. Oh...she can reach the ice cubes!:loll:cherish these years because before you know it, she will be grown and on her own. ❤️
 
Definitely cherish every moment with her. Ok so I have lost 16 lbs since surgery. Went from 244 to 228 so I'm happy about that. For some reason the app keeps crashing so using it on safari which is weird. Pain is still doing great I'm getting ready to take my next dose and lay down for a nap.
 
Congrats on the weight loss. However, I was just lectured by a friend who is taking nutrition classes that I will need to eat a little more after surgery to help my body heal. Just thought I'd pass that thought along. And, I would not mind losing a few pounds after my surgery.:tada:
 
You do need to eat a good diet, with plenty of protein.
However, if you're like me, your appetite may not be very good at first.
Just do the best you can.
 
I'm eating good food. It's just that after a few bites I can't eat anymore. The only thing that I can eat a full portion of seems to be cheerios
 
That is so funny! My Darling husband does not cook. Soooo...when it came time for him to fix dinner one night and dear daughter was not coming over to make dinner, he made me a nice bowl of Cheerios! Best tasting dinner yet. The next day, he went out to the grocery store, came home, and was so proud of himself - he said "I know you need to eat lots of protein to heal your knee, so I bought you this!" Guess what it was??? Protein CHEERIOS!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
 
My pants seem looser now and I don't know if I've lost weight, but I've lost some inches. That butt (glute) clench is definitely contouring my derriere! Still have to remind myself to eat though.
 
I have 2 five year old grand daughters and they are soooo sweet but growing up way to fast.
Congrats on the weight loss!! I haven't weighed since surgery. Appetite was great at first but not so much now.. stomach stays queasy, I'm thinking it might be the daily aspirin and meloxican. Only take one pain pill at night.
I can relate to the duller pain, it is deep and gnawing and is worse at night. I try to remind myself that is the feeling of healing.
You are making good progress and envy you having the loving company of your little girl.
 
Hmm maybe I should do the protein Cheerios I usually go for original or multigrain. Got to love the cereal for some reason it's one of the few things I have an appetite for. My husband is actually a really good cook he cooks at a restaurant. My mom makes a balanced meal but I can't seem to eat meat. I usually love meat. Oh and the broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts are a few of what I'm eating a lot of.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom