Guest viewing is limited

TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
daughter stalker

Hi Maria!

:thankyou: for the link! I just checked it out and will definitely be going back to read more in a few minutes.

I have been reading your thread and see you have been doing well. We are both having a little trouble sleeping and I am completely exhausted today; you would think that would guarantee me a good night's rest:zzz: but I don't dare think about it.

Happy to announce we have had a couple of rain-free days here with sun and lower humidity. That has been a real treat! What is going on in your neck of the woods? Are you ready to go back to work yet?

Take care!
Becca
 
Hi Becca,

I am glad that the website is helpful for you. It was for my cousin. She loved her pug dearly. I know if this site helped her it might help you too. I am glad you finally had some rain-free days! It is nice to have the sun back.

I am anxiously anticipating my OS visit tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm guessing the anxiety of the visit will not allow me to get much sleep tonight. I am ready to go back to work in my head but I am not sure my knee is ready to go back. It all depends on whether or not my OS agrees or disagrees on me going back to work. My OS has the say here. If he feels I am ready then I go. I can't make him write an extension of leave if he feels I am ready to go back at least part time. It all depends on what happens tomorrow. :sigh:

Take care and I hope you get some sleep! :flwrysmile:
 
daughter stalker

Maria,

I just can't imagine going back to work yet and you had surgery 17 days after I did! :yikes: ! I went in today to my classroom and it wiped me out completely! It doesn't help that my school is one of the largest in the state. My leg didn't balloon or really hurt but it did get stiff with all the walking around. I was contemplating how much I can possibly improve in 12 days. I am trying to get my endurance up and plan my movements carefully.

Yes, that website was very sweet and I enjoyed reading what others had posted as well. It was just what I needed this evening!

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. My 6 week check up with my OS was anti-climatic. He only asked how my ROM was doing, took a quick look and it and said, "No more pain meds for you. You shouldn't be feeling pain now." Hmmmmm. My knee didn't know that it wasn't supposed to still be hurting so it was good that he let "us" know. :gaah:

I know we are both :zzz: :yawn: :mcoffee: feeling worn out, so here is to both of us getting a good night's sleep. :sleep: Good luck tomorrow!
Becca
 
I have had a big day today in terms of improvement. I finally am able to walk up and down stairs. I can take the up stairs without the handrails :yahoo: and the down ones with a little help from them. :spin: Wow! I thought I would be walking up and down one step at a time for the rest of my life.:yay:

Now for conquering the no sleep problem. Had my yearly physical and my doc gave me a Rx to help me sleep. I am prepared for a blissful and peaceful night.:sleep:

Becca
 
Congrats on the stairs! That is a great milestone. Going down is still tough for me, too, especially if I am a bit swollen. By the time school starts, you will be doing great. So, Mr. Sandman will be coming your way tonight!:sleep: You need that sleep cycle back on track for the start of the year. I have been sleeping so well lately. Not straight through, but falling asleep when I wake. Have you been walking in the park?

Sleep tight, Becca!
 
Can I say this?:what: :blush: It is so nice to be able to sit down on and get up from the toilet again! :spin:

Good night, all! Sweet dreams!:sleep:
Becca
 
Awesome on the stairs! They are the most difficult thing I've encountered yet, especially going downstairs. Glad you are having great progress and will get a little sleep!
 
Anxious to hear if you slept last night? :bicycle1: Went for another bike ride today--almost 30 minutes. It was so much fun and the morning so beautiful, but I over did it and will be resting a bit more today. Have a good weekend.
 
Ready
:sleep:Went to be at 9 p.m., had one potty break, slept soundly until 6 a.m. I am so refreshed and for the first time in a long while, I don't feel like a sleep-deprived zombie. :yay:

:bicycle1:This is you on your bike! I can't believe you went for 30 minutes! That is wonderful! I am working up the courage to try mine, so keep telling me how wonderful it was and is! I am afraid this will be me :bicycle2: .:yikes: . Maybe I'll stick to the Spinner bike for a while. It is very safe.:heehee:

Have a nice weekend, Ready! If I don't wimp out, I plan to go to the pool this evening!

Becca
 
:yay: Hooray for Sleep! I am so happy for you! Even to get a few nights like that a week would be great. I hardly think you would :bicycle2:As long as you have flexion around 120, give or take, you should be able to peddle. It was only scary the first minute or so, then it was fine. Who would think such a small thing could mean so much.
 
Ready
Yes, sleep :sleep: should be great tonight after a big day, PT and an hour workout in the pool!:flwrysmile: I can't believe how much better I feel after the pool than before, even though I was already sore from PT this morning. I suppose I will see in the morning if I have gained temporary membership in the ODIC!:headbang: I am hopeful that I am not in the club.

I am doing standing revolutions on my Spinner bike, though not enough for me to feel comfortable taking my bike out. We live on a mountain and not surprisingly, it is very hilly in our neighborhood. There is nowhere flat here, so we would have to load up and go somewhere. :yes: I think I will stick to PT and the gym for now.:angel:

Hope you sleep with the angels and have a great weekend! One more week to go and I am scared.:shocked:

Becca
 
Okay! NOT a member of the ODIC! :flwrysmile: I am headed to the gym/pool right now. I can't believe what a difference it made in my leg after one hydrotherapy (my own exercises...if you want to call it hydrotherapy:yes:) last night.

Have a nice day, y'all!:SUNsmile: Happy Saturday!
Becca
 
I guess I am glad your membership to the club has been denied, but that means I am here alone. Perhaps my bike ride was a bit long yesterday:shrug: . I had some swelling last night and ended up icing in the middle of the night, not to mention poor sleep. I feel OK today, but I limited myself to some time on my exercise bike this morning, but with no resistance, and some time in my ill-fated-deer-eaten-vegetable garden. They have managed to nibble beans, peas, green peppers, summer squash to where they get 90% of the and I get 10%--if there is even that much of the plant left. Why can't they eat weeds? Flower garden are overgrown and crowded, but sure are bursting with color!

You're on a roll...better sleep, a new therapy with :yes!: results, spinning. It is so good to hear how positive your outlook is. You will be ready for school! Do you have a fun Saturday planned? My daughter still has a friend over so we are going to take advantage of boating on a lovely summer day. My son plays in the pit orchestra (French horn) for the community theater production of Oliver, so I am hoping to see that tonight. Enjoy your day!
 
Ready

I might make it (ODIC) yet after my pool workout today but hopefully not! I am officially tired but will not be taking a nap. Today is an easy day. We have a family reunion next weekend, so we are preparing this weekend. My dad will be flying out from AZ to stay with us and attend, so we are looking forward to that. :) I am also doing a little work towards the new school year and things I will need so I am not overwhelmed in the next few weeks.

Sorry to hear about your veggie garden! The deer just don't care how much work and effort you have put into the garden, do they? They could have least left you 50%!:snork: We only planted tomatoes this year and have gotten quite a lot but because it has been raining all summer:doh: , they haven't gotten as big as they usually do.

Sounds like your babies keep you busy and on the go! That is a good thing! :thumb: You will have fun going to a play AND getting to see your son in the orchestra! I hope it goes well for him! Enjoy and have a great rest of the day!

You, my friend, are the one with a positive outlook who has inspired me! Two new knees (one brand new and one almost brand new) and upbeat all summer! :thankyou:

Becca
 
I have joined the ODIC for today! The club no one wants to be in! :headbang: I started "swimming" at our gym on Friday. I used a routine and exercises I found in the TKR Handbook discussed on this forum. I could tell a difference, stretching was easier, I felt so great in the water. It was so wonderful I went again on Saturday and Sunday. So my PT could tell a difference on Monday...which motivated me further. So I went last night and after warming up and stretching, I got the bright idea :scratch: to put the fins/flippers (whatever they are called) on and use the little floating board, thinking what a great leg workout I would get. I would hold on to the board and only use my legs to kick and propel me forward. I got it alright. BOTH of my legs are SO sore:yikes:: shins, calves, hamstrings and quads. I suppose it was a great workout, just too much of one. That is the hard thing about water, it feels so good, it is difficult to know when you are overdoing it. I believe I will be able to anticipate this in the future as I want to avoid this extreme sore muscle pain. I really love working in the pools and they have helped me to increase my rom and get a good workout in and I can tell I am walking better. :SUNsmile: So, I won't complain too much and will take it easy today. :angel:

I am counting down, 5 days until I go back to work. :shocked: I am excited because I want to be normal again but I am also afraid.:skep:

Have a great day, everyone.
Becca
 
Oh, Becca......I haven't been on for a while, but just read your last post. I had to tell you how well I understand your last sentence! I have such mixed feelings about going back to school.....I'm excited to see my friends and feel normal, but, Oh, I am so nervous about it! I don't feel like my stamina is there yet, let alone all of the stairs that we have in our building! I keep telling myself that it will take a couple of weeks to get used to the new routine (gosh, I haven't even HAD a routine for months!!!), but I'll get there! Anticipating a few exhausting nights on the couch with ice again, though!

Just wanted to say hi, and wish you the best! I work TODAY for 4 hours, tomorrow and Thursday for 4, and then we officially start on the 19th! I'll have kids all day starting on the 22nd! Of course, sometime between now and then, I have to get my room decorated and in order! I will just keep telling myself what I teach my kiddos......I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN..............................

:cheers: Here's to a great start for all of us!
 
Dewey

It makes me feel better to know there are others in the boat with me!:SUNsmile: I have gone in a couple of times for a few hours, most recently yesterday (in addition to PT and the pool) :headbang: . My endurance has improved but I guess it takes a while to get back into things after sitting on your behind (so to speak) for 2 months. Your room must also be upstairs! We have the longest staircases and I climbed them yesterday without the handrail, and don't think I looked too bad doing it. Going down is much harder and I can feel my knee tighten (swell?) immediately after descending. Glad I am on the second and not the third floor. For a while, I may resort to using the elevator to leave (going down) even though it is out of the way.

Yes, I am in anticipation of being exhausted also. My room is now 100% ready, Dewey, and I am really eager to get back into a routine and I bet you are, too. You do have a week more than I before you go back but I see you have had BOTH knees replaced this year. :shocked: :yikes: I am impressed!

Hope you enjoy your day! I am going to check your thread.
Becca
 
Morning Becca Hey, sore muscles but not sore knees! Although it's not comfortable, at least you know your knee can handle it, and if you are consistent, those muscles that you feel hurting now are going to be so STRONG! Swimming is such a great low (no) impact exercise.

Wow, your room is all ready. I am hoping to be ready soon, too, so I don't feel that stress. Dewey, hope you're managing these first few days back and finding that balance. Good luck getting that room ready. Class rosters here are changing daily as we gain and lose students. Got an email that the school board approved adding another 1st grade section. That means I might need to teach that class during my prep :yikes: . Not sure I am up to 11 sections with only a 30 minute lunch and a 10 minute potty break, even with 2 new knees.

I hope you squeeze every minute out of these next few days before you officially begin. I keep saying, "routine is good," but secretly, I have liked pretending I am retired.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom