TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sleep:Amazingly, I have been going to bed about 11 p.m. and waking up about 6:30 a.m., without moving or waking up in between. I ordered a cyro cuff and ever since I got it, I put it on as I go to bed and I sleep like a baby. :flwrysmile:(I stopped napping also).

Hope the sleep angel will visit you tonight! Any plans for you today? I am about to leave for PT.:sigh:
 
How was PT today? I have been going 2x a week, so I will go tomorrow. Still can't get my leg straight.

I am glad you have found the ice cuffs! Whatever works. I have had a few rough nights, so maybe I need some of those. It's been pretty hot and humid here the last few days. No one wants to step outside. It's probably good, otherwise I would be in a garden yanking weeks. The heat should break after tomorrow, then watch out weeds, here I come!

Sleep tight!
 
Ready

Didn't really like the "substitute" PT. Thankfully, my regular PT will be back on Monday! :yay:

Generally, we have very hot and humid weather all the time. This summer, however, we have had cloudy and rainy days that have been cooler than normal (still humid). Yuk!

I am still doing a little more every day and my leg seems okay with it. It is still swollen, of course, around the knee but isn't as likely to "balloon" after a little activity.

My regular PT gave me a great stretch to do at home and it really helps when my leg is tight. I haven't seen it on here so I will share it; if it is on here somewhere, I apologize.:)

Great leg stretch: Face down on your bed, loop the handle of a dog leash on your foot. Pull (gently) the leash over your shoulder and feel the stretch, little at a time as your leg comes up and up and toward the back of your head. This is awkward but it really works. I wouldn't try this if you are not at least several weeks into your healing because it does put some pressure on your incision. I am 6 and 1/2 weeks out and I feel it but it doesn't hurt.

Have a great Friday! It is a beautiful sunny day here! :flwrysmile:

Becca
 
Hey Becca,

I have been doing the stretch you described for a couple of weeks now. I am 4 weeks out. My home health PT started me on it 2 weeks after surgery. I thought it was kind of early to do this, so I waited until last week to start doing it. These kind of stretches do work.

I am glad that you are having a sunny day there in the great state of Alabama. I do remember the summers when I lived there. They were quite rainy and it was a blessing when the sun actually came out.

Have a wonderful Friday!

Take care :flwrysmile:
Maria
 
OOOH, that sounds lovely for the quadriceps. Mine are screaming to be stretched. As a former gymnast, I grew up stretching and miss how tight I feel. Glad your knee isn't ballooning. Surely a sign of progress. Getting out is so good for the attitude. Unfortunately, getting out usually isn't so great for my budget. My therapist and I decided to end PT as I got to 0 and very close to 120. I am good about working out on my own. I am hoping to get into the lake next week. I would like the OK from my doc first. We have had a week of 90-95 degrees, so the water is just right for me. Our lake stays pretty clear all of the summer. It is a blessing to walk out my back door or look out my window to that.

Any fun plans for the weekend. My son is having a bunch of people over tomorrow, plus we have 2 funerals to go to (details on my thread), so not much time for me to get into trouble. That's OK, though. I just spend 2 hours in the garden and am planning a shopping trip this afternoon and to visitation tonight.

Enjoy your weekend with your new mobility!
 
Ready

It is amazing what that stretch will do!:) I have had a better day every day this week and I am so excited about it! I have been off the prescription pain meds for almost 4 days now. I am taking a few Tylenol Extra Strength and I have to admit, I was scared at first but I feel much better, mentally and physically and can leave off the Miralax, at long last.:cheers: Yea!

The lake sounds like a great place to recuperate and swim as well an an incredible place to live. I love to go to the lake but I haven't been able to bring myself to get in one since the last time we went to our friends' lake house. The fish were trying to nibble on me and it creeped me out.:shocked:

That is wonderful about your PT and your 120! I am soooo envious but I am slowly improving. I still have about 20 sessions of PT left, so no relief for me anytime in the near future.:sigh:

Wow! Two hours in the garden is a feat! Sounds very relaxing and something to help distract from the knee business. We/I don't have big plans this weekend, just church Sunday morning. I have to admit I have been helping myself most generously this week to extreme retail therapy, both in person and online. I think it is about time to slow down on the shopping (except grocery store tomorrow) and do some more reading!

Hope you have fun shopping! Have a great evening!
Becca
 
daughter stalker

Maria! Yikes!:shocked: I can't imagine doing that exercise at two weeks! I try not to think about it when I am doing it because it still scares me! :umm: My husband took a photo of me in that position (thanks, honey:thumb: ) and it looked like some torture device someone had rigged up.:snork:
Hey Becca,



I have been doing the stretch you described for a couple of weeks now. I am 4 weeks out. My home health PT started me on it 2 weeks after surgery. I thought it was kind of early to do this, so I waited until last week to start doing it.




Maria


Did you suffer any effects from your trip to the graduation? I hope not! I am so glad you were able to go! Doesn't it make you feel better to get out? Maybe you can do something fun this weekend! You live in the land of fun outdoor things to do! Of course, it is supposed to rain here. We have had 2 really nice sunny days here, so I can't complain too much and, of course, it doesn't do any good anyway! :giggle:

Have a great Friday evening!
Becca
 
Hey Becca,

I had no horrible effects from going to graduation. I only had some minor additional swelling. It was refreshing to get out and see if I would be able to handle working in a few weeks. I did better than I expected. :egypdance:

I ended up taking a pain med to sleep. :groan: I was excited about getting out for the day and the little extra swelling was worrying me some, also. I wanted to make sure I got some sleep. :sleep: Boy did I sleep. I fell asleep at about 11 pm and woke a couple of times but went back to sleep. Finally got up at 9 am. That is quite a bit of sleep for me since having surgery. :happydance: I don't want to rely on a pain med to get sleep. I don't like taking pain meds and the effects they have on my potty habits.

We have had rain every day recently here in the afternoon during the summer cooling things off and making everything wet. I will try to find something to do. Orlando may be the land of fun, but it costs quite a bit of $$$ to do all that fun especially with me not being able to last all day long walking everywhere. :sad: I would like it to stay sunny all day so that my swimming pool would warm up to the temperature I like so I can get in it to enjoy. :) The rain keeps the temperature in the pool down. I hate getting into a cold swimming pool. :hissy:

Have an awesome weekend!

Take care!
 
Sorry for posting so much but I just have to share a positive thought! I finally feel like myself again!!:happydance:

I went on a nice walk for 20 minutes, it's a beautiful evening, my knee doesn't hurt anymore...I was so happy I almost cried! But I have already done enough of that these past 6 weeks and I am through!:flwrysmile:

Nite!
Becca
 
my knee doesn't hurt anymore...

I couldn't be happier for you! It is so good to hear that and hope it continues. You have been so positive and uplifting to everyone. Such an encouragement. I, too, have really cut back on pain meds. I just take one dilaudid at bedtime in hopes of sleep. Thankfully, Tylenol works with my body. You will reach your PT goals soon, just hang in and pretend you are going to the gym.

The garden did me in for a few hours, but I recovered well and was able to get to all of my other stops. Home late last night and had a great sleep. Been a few nights since I had one. I feel refreshed. I was up early this morning tackling a new project. I picked up some old school lockers (craig's list) and have been sanding and prepping to paint. They will be great for guests that come and use the lake. I am inexperienced with spray paint, so wish me well.
 
Ready

Yea for you getting a good night's sleep! I am glad you had some nice time outdoors working in your garden! I wish you well with your new project!

I have to admit I was quite sore (not my knee, just everything else) from my walk the other evening. I normally just go around the park several times (and several times a day) and it is mostly flat. Well, I was listening to some very motivating music and somehow I thought it would be a wonderful idea to tackle the BIG hill. Maybe the combination of speed (induced by music) and slope got me. I will be easing into that one next time, maybe only half the hill.:)

In other areas of mutual interest :SUNsmile: , are you still sleeping on your back? For the first time since surgery, I slept on my sides. It worked and I slept quite well using a knee pillow.

Hope you have a nice Sunday. We are off to church now. Bye!
 
Becca
Glad you had a good walk around the park. I haven't tackled a true walk yet. It used to be my favorite thing to do, but it has been such a long time. I used to have a great road that had lots of hills, but then started seeking the flats.

I have been so busy with different things that I haven't been squeezing in my knee exercises. Hopefully things will slow down and/or normal life will be my therapy. I am now down to so little prescription medicine that I wonder if it matters. I am just using it now to finish the weaning process.

Sleep has been pretty good. I don't have the cuff you have, but since you posted that, I started using more ice at night and I do sleep better. Wrapped with an ace bandage, I can change positions. One side is OK, the other still not good.

We just had a few friends over. She said she had been praying for me after she saw me back in April. I must have looked pretty bad. At that time, I had lost quite a bit of weight and was not sleeping, and she said she was very worried. She was not the first to mention something along those lines. Anyway, now I am feeling pretty normal and must look like myself again.

One more game of Catan tonight with the family, then to bed. OS appt. in the AM. Sleep tight
 
Ready
daughter stalker

Hi guys!

I have been reading your threads this week and sharing in your joys! :SUNsmile: I haven't forgotten about the forum, I have just had a really bad week and didn't feel like sharing.

We had a 13 year old American Cocker Spaniel, Beanie, who I loved dearly. :boohoo: She passed away Monday evening and I have been devastated ever since. :sigh: It was not unexpected but I just wasn't prepared to let her go yet. :cry: We have three other Cockers who still require my love but it still doesn't make this horrible time any better.

I have managed to do my exercises this week and go to PT on M, W and later today. I am happy to report that ROM is improving, just like everyone said. My leg doesn't seem to "balloon" as easily and hasn't done so in a while.

I do, however, have two concerns and wondered what the BoneSmarties think about this situation. 1. In general, my leg isn't very swollen, especially compared with early days. It doesn't really balloon up or I have learned how to avoid that unpleasantness. What I am concerned about is that I do still have consistent swelling around the knee (it is looking more like a real knee, though) which doesn't seem to subside no matter how much I elevate and ice. :what: The swelling isn't much and probably wouldn't be obvious to a casual observer. :skep: I understand that swelling is normal but was wondering if consistent swelling is normal. ?

2. I also have some swelling up my thigh to my hip. It isn't much but I can definitely tell and I am sure when I put on a pair of pants. Is this normal?

I am taking mobic/meloxicam 7.5 mg/1x day and 2 extra-strength Tylenol about every 8 hours.

Teachers!! I have to go back to work on August 12 (week of prep and training, no students). I can't imagine getting through the day :scratch: right now. I know it is still a couple of weeks out but still... I had been bragging about sleeping but now sleep is evading me. I am sure this has something to do with my mood right now :doh: but I am wiped out completely.

I appreciate any input and expertise you BoneSmarties would be kind enough to share with me.

Thank you!
Becca
 
Good morning Becca,

I'm so sorry for your loss. :sad: It is hard to lose a pet! They are a part of our family and it is difficult to deal with their loss even when it is expected. I know it probably is especially difficult when you are going through a TKR. Keep the good thoughts with you as she is with you in spirit. :angel: Love on the other Cockers who are still with you. I read an article yesterday in our newspaper that was on animals grieving losses whether it was their human or another animal. They need your love to get them through it too. :puppysmooze: I will say a prayer for you and Beanie! <3

I feel your apprehension about going back to work. I have many of the same feelings. :sigh: I anticipate going back to work August 5th part time. I am glad that you have been feeling better otherwise. I was told that the knee swelling would take a few months to subside and that it would flare up with over use from time to time. Sorry to hear that you have some thigh swelling. Maybe some of the others on this site can give you guidance about your thigh.

I'm glad to hear from you! Please take care and continue to update us. :flwrysmile:
 
Becca I am sorry to hear about your Beanie. I couldn't imagine losing our Tripod. They are truly a member of the family.

Your swelling is probably normal, I certainly have it in my first knee and that's 4 1/2 months. Somewhere in the library it talks about the inner spots of the knee and how fluid accumulates there. Someone will know. I haven't experienced thigh swelling, though. Hope it subsides for you.

So, have you been into school to do any work? Do you have bulletin boards to prep? I left my office and equipment room in a disastrous state last spring. I plan to go in all next week while my daughter takes her driver's training class just to clean and feel like I know where everything is. I am nervous already, and I have 2 additional weeks after you start. You must be getting apprehensive! daughter stalker , you start even sooner! Just plan a little, like where, when and how you can elevate and ice, pain meds schedule, shorter routes and consolidating trips to the workroom, streamlining your morning routine, parking, no extras errands after school, who to ask for help, etc....Be honest with people when they ask how you're doing instead of saying "great." They need to know you are NOT fully recovered. Then just accept that you will be tired and need to rest when you get home. You'll get through it and by Christmas so much of this will be a distant memory.

Enjoy your upcoming weekend.
 
Becca How are you and how was your weekend? I gave my dog some extra love lately as I have been thinking of your loss. I hope your heart is mending. Let us know how you are doing.
 
Ready

Thank you for checking on me. It has been a hard week with my broken, heavy heart.

I haven't been posting much but have been lurking a good bit and keeping up with you on your thread. You sound like you are ready to get back to life, full time! That is great! Yes, do give your doggie some extra loving. Our other 3 have been extremely affectionate lately and that has helped me through losing Beanie. Hubby also gets a shout-out here for being a rock for me. As much as it hurts to lose a dog :boohoo: you have loved for so many years, I couldn't imagine my life without them because they bring us so much joy!

Have you pulled out all the weeds in your gardens yet? I have these visions of you enjoying a cool Minnesota morning, working outside, enjoying your new pain-free life! Have you gone to the pool yet?

My PT resolved the hip issue with some great massage and I felt like a new woman. Since I have complained about him at times, I figure it is only fair to give him some love! He also gave me some stretches to do to keep those muscles from getting so tight and it has really helped! I have been doing a little more activity every day. Wow! I never expected that I would be so tired after doing so little. Muscles I didn't know I had are sore! I am taking Extra Strength Tylenol 2 times a day and 1 mobic 7.5 mg. No pain, just the normal swelling around the knee. Oh, and I am getting a little feeling back in the numb spots on the right of my knee and that feels weird! I am sleeping okay...some nights well and other nights not so well. From what I see on the forum, that is normal. :sad: . I'd love to sleep about 10 hours straight, no wake-ups, no potty trips. Wouldn't that be sweet? Are you sleeping normally? I don't have pain; I just can't get comfortable. I have tried every position and nothing works! Are you still sleeping on your back?

I can't wait to go back to school! (Just kidding!) I go back on the 12th, no students until the 19th. Yikes. I am concerned I will be wiped out by mid-morning (or earlier :shocked: )! Hope to get some more endurance before then. :gaah: I really do love the job and my students! :flwrysmile: My husband and I went to my classroom today to get a little setup done which makes me feel better. We took all the recommended knee recovery supplies also. (ice packs, couple of pillows, etc.) I walked up 2 flights of stairs (normally) without using the handrail! It surprised us both! :cheers: I did not, however, try to walk down the steps. It just doesn't feel right yet. So, I took the elevator but naturally, it is a long way from my room. That will be a real incentive to get going down the stairs! :flwrysmile:

Okay, here goes: Today is the first day I can say I am glad I had this surgery. :SUNsmile: Ready, I am envious that you already have a new matching set!

Are you ready for school to start? What are you doing now that you don't have PT?

Enjoy your day!
Becca
 
Hey, Becca. So good to hear from you. Day by day, with both the knees and the broken heart. Glad you got your hip issue worked out.

I went to my office for the first time today and did a little planning and clean up. With new security measures in place, they needed to key a door right to the gym! Much closer walk for me and I have no steps to take. Our custodian is limping around so badly with his knee. He says I am his inspiration and is done with all the injections. Poor guy is miserable, so I hope he and his OS can come up with a plan.

My sleep pattern is returning slowly. I have become so accustom to sleeping on my back, but will slip onto my right side comfortably. Sleeping on the left side still gives me trouble. No complaints--I get about 4 straight hours, wake up, then get 3-4 more. I don't wake for pain, just bathroom. As far as no PT: my routine is that I hop on my exercise bike first thing in the a.m. and ride about 20-30 minutes. It is feeling really good and I have been adding resistance. Then I do all my PT exercises and some strength exercises and stretching. Some days I walk--now up to 15 minutes. Then it's shower, ice, coffee/breakfast. I try to stretch again in the evening. I haven't hit the water yet. Also haven't been very active in my garden as of late. Too much taxi service for my daughter--each day to driver's training class, wait for 3 hours, then home (30 minute drive each way). That shoots an afternoon! We've also had a wedding, breakfasts out, guests, playing games...No time for work!

Yes, I am quite pleased that I have 2 matching knees that have both behaved and recovered well. I think #2 did even better than the first. I will join you in saying I am glad I had the surgeries :cheers:. Cheers!
 
Hi Becca,

My cousin lost her pug recently and posted this site on Facebook to help her grieve. I though I would share. broken link removed: https://prayersforpets.org/index.htm

You sound like you have been quite busy. I am glad that you are doing better! :puppysmooze:

Take care!:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom