Guest viewing is limited

TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was very restful (translation:mildly dull :) ) but probably just what I needed. No PT today, a couple of short walks outside, and my stretches. Plenty of time to elevate and ice and have also taken my pain meds.

Of course, I have a question for the :SUNsmile: wonderful people on this forum. I noticed that when I went outside for my little walk (flat terrain, concrete sidewalk) I could feel the leg/knee swelling, probably within 5 minutes of going outside. Is that normal? You would think after such gentle treatment I could have the luxury of 5 minutes outside and upright before the swelling returns and the vise gets a grip across my knee. :sigh:

Thank you for your input!
 
Hi Becca,
You and I had our surgeries one day apart even on the same knee :dancy: and my personal experience is that swelling can indeed happen that quickly! I also have found that on some days, I will feel pretty good throughout the day...walking, doing something's around the house...with what feels to be minimal swelling...but then around 8 pm...I'll get what I call "rebound aches and swelling"...that definitely needs elevation and ice...seems to happen almost every evening... :gaah: hang in there...we can do this!
Harplayer
 
harplayer

I hate to say I am glad you have experienced the same thing :gaah: but I am glad to hear I am not alone.

I am going to see my OS on Monday for my 6 week check up. I have been compiling a list of questions for him. I will just add this one.:snork:

Yes, we can do this...it can be done!:wink:
Becca
 
Yep, I get that, too. Lousy gravity! It is especially noticeable when I don't wear the light compression sleeve I got after surgery. Maybe try a little wrap. Mildly dull is a good thing when you are only a month out of TKR.:)
 
Ready

Ready, are you talking about the compression hose or something different? Do you find it works with the swelling?

Thank you!
 
No, it is just a white cottony/elastic "sleeve" they cut from a huge roll at the hospital. He cut another one for me at the clinic. It gives just a bit of compression, not enough to even leave a mark. It is not as thick as those neoprene ones, no sweat! Maybe it's purely psychological, but I miss it when I don't have it on. If my ankles have gotten swollen, I will throw on my TED socks for a spell, too, but mostly just wear this sleeve.
 
Since I am always worrying and complaining on this board, I have to say I have had a good day today.:) My spirits are better and I felt almost normal :spin:. I had a leisurely morning and met my mother for a nice light lunch at Panera. It was wonderful to be out of the house! After lunch, we spent a few minutes browsing in the bookstore a few storefronts down from the restaurant. Then, I went to PT which wasn't too bad. I did some new exercises and the PT did some new treatments. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

My hat is off to all the BTKR folks. :sick: I just cannot imagine having what I have gone through X2! Yikes!

Have a nice evening!
Becca
 
[Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
This was a really nice post, Becca. I'm so happy that you've had a nice day and can see that things do get better. Be prepared for more bumps in the road---but also notice that there will be more smooth days than bumpy ones.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
 
Hello! I believe you are at about the 6 week mark from your comments above. I have mentioned to several folks that my experience at 6-8 weeks post op was like a transformation. The swelling eased considerably as did the pain; sleeping at night improved immensely. Many have encouraged you here....remember patience.....something I had to remind myself many, many times. You are doing great!

Uh....one question....."Roll Tide" or "War Eagle"?........,, :tada:
 
Hello becca,
Great post :) you always feel better when you get out of the house :yes!: I'm in my 5 week after
Surgery & it is confusing :umm: sometimes the knee feels good & other times :groan: you don't want
To be in the odic( over did it club ) so go slow....
Wishing you the best....
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Glad to hear you had a good day, Becca. That is a light you see at the end of the tunnel. Some days it's just a little dimmer than others. As I posted some place else, knee #1 is right there reminding me of what my future holds, and it is pretty bright. I got out twice this week to a local coffee shop to visit with some friends, one a former colleague who moved to Florida and was back to visit. I got to meet her precious new baby. Oh, how good to feel like a participant in life! Have another wonderful day, don't overdo.
 
amab

:giggle:I graduated from the University of Arizona, so I don't have to pick sides! It is much safer
that way!:rofsign:
.
[Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
 
new knee in June

Oh, yeah!:angel: It is like stolen heaven to leave the house for a little while. I am planning another short excursion today. As much as I love to read, I have to say I am tired of it, for a while at least!

Thanks, Diana, for the reminder about ODIC. I will avoid that at all costs!:iagree:

Have a great day!
 
Hi Becca,
Boo...you live in one of the most volatile states for football. I guess you don't have much fun during football season. I'm glad to hear that you got out of the house. Getting out is awesome. Makes you feel more normal. I have been going for short trips out since week 2 and it is wonderful. I am glad to hear you had a good day.

Take care! Roll Tide Roll!!! :yahoo:

Maria
 
daughter stalker
Hi Becca,
Boo...you live in one of the most volatile states for football. I guess you don't have much fun during football season. Roll Tide Roll!!! :yahoo:

Maria

Ha ha! I don't want to make any Auburn fans out there in Bonesmartlandia mad but, you do pretty much have to be an Alabama fan here. It's almost mandatory!:flwrysmile: My hubby is now a big Alabama fan and he is an import model from Georgia. :rofsign: Are you originally from Orlando?

Well, I enjoyed getting out again today but I could tell I wasn't going to last long. I don't know if the change in weather can cause swelling or maybe it is just bad luck or just my time but I was a little swollen when I got up this morning. Oh, well. :) Now I am stretched out and iced and elevated wondering how I am ever going to make it back to work and teach all day.:scare: Patience, I know!

Have a great day, everyone!
 
amab

Well, they are my adopted team although I do love the AZ Wildcats!

Bear down, Arizona! Go 'Cats! They always lose! :snork:

Roll Tide!
 
Becca,

I was born and raised in Alabama. Paid 3 years tuition for my husband at Alabama. We lived in Birmingham then Tuscaloosa. Moved to O-Town 25 years ago. I have the best OS in Orlando!!! If I still lived in Birmingham I would have Dr. Andrews work on me, but I am here in Orlando and Dr. Rosen is absolutely awesome! :yes!:

I hear you on being able to go back to work. I am wondering the same. I may not be teaching in a classroom, but am a certified teacher. I work in special education. :yikes:

Have a great evening and take care, everyone! :flwrysmile:

Maria
 
Good luck with your continued recovery. It will improve; along with some ups and downs along the way.....but you'll get better.

Nice Move in adopting the Tide!! Life long Tide fan here. In fact my knees were so bad last year when we attended the Auburn game in Tuscaloosa, I decided then to schedule the LTKR. It has been a good decision.

Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom