Guest viewing is limited

TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news Becca. Slow and steady wins this race. Well done. :puppysmooze:
 
I am curious as to what kinds of shoes women wear post op. :what: Could you share your experiences or do's and don'ts? Of course, I am not going out that much yet but when I do, I have had difficulties determining what type shoe feels best. Running shoes (Mizuno Waverunners are my favorite) always feel great but are not always appropriate. I went to a funeral this week and had a heck of a time with footwear. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
 
Way to go becca,
Every day brings a new surprise in our journey. Your dog is beautiful...what,s his name. I had a
Springer spaniel named patches..great dog, very active.
Keep up the good work & have a wonderful week end,
Diana
Thank you! He is my baby and his name is Whitman. Spaniels are the best, in my opinion! He has done a great job of keeping me company without complaining a bit! My husband has also done an excellent job of taking care of me but not without complaining just a little! :gaah:

Have a great weekend yourself, Diana.
 
My surgeon and PT are both obsessed with my ROM which, despite my hard work and best efforts, is only 93 degrees.:gaah:
Welcome to the forum family! We are certainly glad that you found us!

As others have said, it is not all about hard work---in fact, the harder you work, the more your knee will get "angry" and stiffen up and swell.

the key is to work your knee gently and to stay within the envelope! I know that this is a difficult thing to do, as we all want to recover quickly, but the harder you wrok, the slower your recovery will be.

It is, as others have said, not, "No pain, no gain," but it is, "no pain, more gain."
Those types of folks are obsessed with numbers---they are very quantitative folks...you just concentrate on letting your knee heal and recover---you are dong fine and you will recover fine!

Happy to report that during PT today, I was measured at 100. I did two full rotations on the stationary bicycle when I was stretching - that was a surprise! It is nice to finally have something positive to share with everyone.
Congratulations! that is awesome!
 
You need to have a heart-to-heart (or at least a frank discussion) with your OS. If he insists on ROM, then he needs to be able to prescribe whatever facilitates your getting there (and which work for YOU). Otherwise, he is just going to have to accept progress measured by your functionality and comfort, not by a plastic goniometer.


Here's my experience with post-op shoes (other than gym or running shoes): the best ones are those that combine comfort with support and functionality. One consideration is how well they'll fit over a foot that may still be intermittently swollen when not elevated. (It's kinda fascinating to elevate a "tight" foot and watch your toes grow longer and slimmer before your eyes). What worked best for me in summer were orthopedic sandals--if you wear orthotics, ones that let you swap them out for the factory insoles. They come in a wide variety of colors and finishes, many of which are quite appropriate for dresswear. Look at the mail-order and online catalogs of Footsmart and Comfort One shoes: they carry a wide variety of brands and styles, one of which will work for you. Last summer I wore sandals (and Mary Janes for fall) from Naot, 1830, Ziera and Finn Comfort (the latter a bit less "stripy" but still cute and very supportive).

This year I've discovered Alegria Shoes (www.alegriashoeshop.com as well as brick-and-mortar "walking shoe" shops). They have a "modified rocker" profile (flat midsole but toes raised, encouraging proper heel-toe gait), removable arch-supportive orthotic cork insoles covered with memory foam and suede, and come in a wide variety of styles (slides, sandals, thongs, closed-back clogs, Mary Janes, oxfords, even boots) and finishes & colors (patent leather, nubuck, tooled and smooth leathers, solid color, illusion effects such as snakeskin, tile, iridescent, even picture patterns). I'm wearing black patent slides right now. Not cheap, but here's a tip: "Like" them on Facebook and you will get e-mail alerts as to deep discounts on clearances and introductory models. They are Euro-sized, with a "wide" option (a slimmer insole to increase room) and are insanely comfy. The company was started for healthcare workers and chefs who are on their feet all day on a variety of surfaces and who wanted something more stylish and durable than Crocs.
 
:console2:
Hi all!

I am so thankful for this forum which I just found yesterday! It is so nice to be able to compare questions and issues I have with others who have gone through the same thing! Today, I am three and a half weeks out from my surgery. I have felt the progress has been a little slow and I have been feeling quite sorry for myself. My surgeon and PT are both obsessed with my ROM which, despite my hard work and best efforts, is only 93 degrees.:gaah: I long for the day when my leg doesn't feel so tight and tender, the muscles so tense, and I can flex to make everyone happy. Right now it feels like this day may never get here and I will be miserable forever and forever worrying about my flex and ROM. I know improvement is coming, I am just impatient for it and, apparently, so is everyone else.

I have been reading the Bone Smart TKR reading list and it has made me feel better to understand what is going on. I think I have experienced everything on that list of articles and I was wondering why I was crying all the time :what: since that is not something I normally do!

I look forward to exchanging ideas and reading about everyone's experiences in this journey.

Hi There: Hon you are doing awesome I am 4 weeks after my TKR and am only at a 50 degree ROM and I have been so depressed by that I was so sure I would do better. I have lots of swelling still and no matter how hard I try I just can not seem to increase my ROM by more then 1 or 2 degrees. It is frustrating when you are trying and it just doesn't get better, :hairpulling: . This site has really helped me and I am so thankful for all the help I have received. Do not let anyone get you down and as hard as it is (believe me I know) try to stay positive! :console2:
 
My husband and I are members of a wonderful gym close to our house. I was wondering what you guys think about me doing some swimming. Maybe some waterwalking, kicking, etc. The gym also has an "arthritis" pool with wonderfully warm water. At this stage in my recovery, would this be a good idea? I have to admit that I am going crazy :hairpulling: not getting out of the house very much except for PT 3X/week. I appreciate any input! :thankyou:
 
I would check with your OS about the arthritis pool, etc---my wife uses it and loves it---but you had better check, as your incision needs to be totally closed up before yo consider doing anything like that.

I would, if you were allowed into the pool, just do water walking and gentle stretches---stay away from swimming at this point in recovery.
 
Thank you. My PT says the incision is completely closed, and there are no scabs or anything. I was thinking of how good it would feel to walk in the cool water in the lap pool and then go to the warm water of the arthritis pool. And how good it would be to get outside my lovely house for something other than church or a meal. Oh, it is so hard to not feel sorry for myself and dwell on the fact that this is my summer vacation. Must keep upbeat!:gaah:
 
Oh, it is so hard to not feel sorry for myself and dwell on the fact that this is my summer vacation. Must keep upbeat!:gaah:
Yes---it is really tough to watch these days go by---but next summer---watch out! You will be all recovered and ready to ROCK AND ROLL!!!
 
One more question for someone, please!:angel: How long does everyone wear the compression stocking on their leg with the new knee? :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
Well, Becca, I wore mine in the hospital and at inpatient rehab. The minute I got home, they went into file 13. There is no evidence that they really keep one from having DVT---they can help with swelling---but mostly they just annoy:heehee: . So feel free to take them off and throw them away.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
Well, Becca, I wore mine in the hospital and at inpatient rehab. The minute I got home, they went into file 13. There is no evidence that they really keep one from having DVT---they can help with swelling---but mostly they just annoy:heehee: . So feel free to take them off and throw them away.

I was hoping to hear this! :) Thank you!
 
Hi, helpful moderators! Could I please change the name of my thread to Becca's TKR Recovery?
I would appreciate it! :thankyou:
 
Yesterday was a harder day for me. I don't know why but my leg was really swollen all day. I followed the Bonesmart mantra (elevate, ice, rest) and hopefully, today will be a better day! I hate to admit ignorance but I had no idea prior to surgery (and finding this forum) that recovery would be so long and so slow. I have really had to change my outlook on things to keep from being such a whiny crybaby. It seems like everyone else is surprised at how slow it is as well. :thud: Oh we'll, I can only do what I can do. :tada: Right?
 
I would, if you were allowed into the pool, just do water walking and gentle stretches---stay away from swimming at this point in recovery.
Genuine question, not rhetorical or sarcastic -- why no swimming?
 
Becca, please take whatever advantage you can of the summer sunshine and leisure! It is so much more heartening to recover in summer than in winter (having been non-weightbearing after fracture surgery in the dead of a frigid and snowy winter, believe me that summer's much easier). If you feel up to it and can get into & out of and ride in a car, take friends and family up on offers to go out to dinner and a movie or even just a wonderful drive on a sunny summer's day. The more "a part of the world" you feel, the less disabled you'll feel and the more tolerable recovery will be.

As to pressure hosiery, last year I trashed mine the day they got me up onto my feet. I found the tops cut off circulation and hit me right in the spider veins (ouch). Wasn't even issued them this time around. I did buy some light support ones for long-distance air travel, and they did help on transatlantic flights; but after that I found them unnecessary, even on transcontinental flights. (Just do your seated ankle pumps/foot circles and inconspicuously do wall squats while waiting to use the lav).

Not gonna lie: you're gonna have your good days and bad days. But your good days will increasingly be better and your "bad" ones less bad. (One step back but three steps forward).
 
Dulcimer Diva


Yes, I know I need to do that. :headbang: It will be time to go back to school before I know it and I will have spent the entire summer inside. I don't want that to happen! Today, I have iced and elevated and then done my gentle exercises and a little walking outside in the beautiful park across the street from our house. After breakfast and a shower, hubby and I will go to the grocery store (I am genuinely looking forward to it). Then later this afternoon, we will go to the gym and I will get in the pools, the lap pool and then arthritis pool. I plan to do some light work. Only thing is, I can't decide which I should do first, the cool pool or the warm pool? Any suggestions.

Dulcimer Diva, thank you for reminding me to get outside and enjoy these beautiful sunny days! Have a great day yourself!
 
Cool vs. warm pool depends on your pain level and whether your OS has okayed moist heat. Cool will help numb the pain and make moving more comfortable; warm will loosen your muscles and also facilitate movement. Once you've officially been told that it's okay to use heat, common sense would dictate the warm pool for a gentle warmup, a minute or two outside the water to get back to room temp, and then the cool pool to soothe and numb. (A tepid pool, if they have one, is the best in between). Just don't go too abruptly from warm to cool or vice versa.
NO whirlpools, hot tubs, saunas or "schvitzes" yet, though!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom