TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard of some of the forum folks say that, when they first got into a pool and went swimming, they felt that their knees went too far---a little hyper-extension issue; at least that is what have heard.

Maybe that is a fallacy, but some of the members have mentioned it.

Might be a good idea to go to the shallow end, hang on to the side of the pool, and just practice kicking to see how it feels. For the longest time after my tibial plateau repair surgery with permanently installed hardware, I felt like I was dragging someone else's leg around the pool. Haven't tried swimming since I had my RTKR (mostly because I didn't want to be seen in a swimsuit at that weight).

:spin:Wow! Oh the pool was great! I hadn't felt so wonderful since my surgery! I didn't actually "swim" but did kicks and all kinds of movements, including water walking. Not only was it a pain-free time, it was also a great lift for my spirits. I will definitely be frequenting the therapy pool at my gym.:SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:

Hi becca,
You are doing fantastic :puppysmooze: I am going to be like you & look for the little things that make me happy :)
I have been in my house for 4 weeks....the weather is horrible...muggy, thunder storms every day. I painted my
Nails yesterday & took a shower by myself last night.
Amazing how little things can lift one's mood.
Thinking of you......diana

new knee in June

Hi Diana,

Yes, I do think it matters to try and look at the little things! It is so easy to feel sorry for myself in this situation and I know you know what I mean! Today, I gave myself a pedicure and finished it off with a very daring shade of purple. :flwrysmile: Not the easiest thing to do but it definitely lifted my spirits! Today was my 4 week mark and I can't decide if it has gone by in a blur or if I am in a time warp.:snork: I know for my husband it has been a long four weeks.

You said it is stormy and muggy where you are. Sounds just like it is here. At least when it is cloudy, I don't feel so bad about being cooped up. :SUNsmile:

Hope you have had a great day! I am going now to read your thread.

Hi, Becca. Just found your thread and want to say a hearty welcome. It sounds like you have had a "reality check" of sorts and now realize this is no cake walk. I was quite naïve after my first surgery in March: told my principal I would be back to work in 6 weeks. After week 3, and some good advice from my Bonesmart friends, I quickly readjusted my thinking and went back at 10 weeks. Now with my 2nd surgery, I have a much more relaxed approach. When my PT tells me my ROM numbers, I don't get all worked up one way or the other. I know it will eventually get better. BTW, I hardly think about knee #1 anymore. It feels way better than it has in years and has only occasional stiffness--no pain.

I am assuming you are a teacher as well. Are you planning to go back in the fall? Summer vacations always go by too quickly-surgery or no surgery. Make the most of what time you have. I figure I get to do what I usually want to do in the summer: lawn chair, book, ice tea. And all guilt free.

Ready

Hi,

I really needed your reply today! Yep, a reality check is definitely what I have gotten. I read on here somewhere that the knee is the boss and truer words were never spoken! :hairpulling:

I am a teacher also and am glad I decided to do this surgery during the summer even though it will obviously take the entire time for me to get better and stronger. I was also under the mistaken impression I would be "okay" after a month or so. I have about 6 weeks to go before school starts and the first week is without students so that is almost 7 weeks. When do you go back?

I am glad to read your advice about your relaxed approach and have promised myself to incorporate this into my thinking. I am trying to avoid focusing too much on the numbers since I seem to be one with slow progress. I DO get worked up with the numbers the PT tells me and I have to stop. It is making me sad and depressed. Must stop! :beg:

Do you go crazy being in the house? I am sure my husband (God bless him) and my dogs are wishing as much as I am that I could get out a little more. Somehow, I always seem to overdo it and overestimate my ability to do everything. So I come home swollen, stiff, sore, tired and depressed :boohoo: ...with my tail tucked.:headbang: I finally realized today that I am not ready to do the things I have been trying to do and have resolved to limit myself to much shorter and less frequent outings.:gaah: I need to do just as you said and just enjoy the stack of new books sitting here, guilt free.

Hope you have a great day. Your words have provided me with comfort. :flwrysmile:

Becca
This is the first reply I have made. I hope it's in the right place. Your story is so close to mine. I had my surgery on June 3 also. I am 54 and am also about at the same place for ROM on my TNR. I also was crying and feeling sorry for myself. As I was reading your post I felt like it could of been written by me.

I have heard of some of the forum folks say that, when they first got into a pool and went swimming, they felt that their knees went too far---a little hyper-extension issue; at least that is what have heard.

Maybe that is a fallacy, but some of the members have mentioned it.

Okay, folks! Listen to referee54! Although I enjoyed the "swimming" so much and it was so pleasant, I did overdo it and paid for it dearly the next day :groan: . I plan to go back but I will concentrate on water walking and just enjoying the feel of the water and do less exercise for now.

Juju50

Hi,

Welcome JuJu50! Isn't it great to know you aren't miserable and in this alone? :SUNsmile: It is a struggle but I have finally learned the hard way that you just have to follow the Bonesmart mantra and you can't hurry anything along no matter how much you want to. I am through with worrying about the ROM numbers and am enjoying the rest of my vacation, darn it!

I think a lot of people have a TKR and don't really realize how involved the recovery will be. I know I didn't! :umm: But I do now!

I am going to see if I can find your thread and see what your experience has been! Feel free to stay in touch and we can commiserate. We are in this together! :yikes:
Rebecca

Juju50, welcome to the forum. Please start a thread of your own in the Knee Replacement Recovery forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting. You will receive the attention to your concerns and questions that you deserve by doing this.

FYI: For instructions on how to use the forum, hover your mouse or click on "Help & Info" on the white bar at the top of the page. On the drop down menu, click on "How to Use This Xenforo Forum". You will find articles about the many things that are available to you when navigating the forum. Using this resource will enhance your enjoyment of the forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing your first post in your own thread.

So what book are you reading? Most summers, I work hard in the yard and do all of 'chores' so I could reward myself with some reading time. Now that I have as much time to read as I want, all I want to do is work. :scratch: I do go kind of crazy in the house, but I have always been a home body and content to be by myself. My hubby farms, so I am basically a single mom in the summers. I still have kids at home--14 and 16. I still like them, they still like me and they get along with each other well. Many people are amazed by that--I just feel blessed.

Looking back at my journal of my first surgery, at 3 weeks, my ROM numbers were 90 and 10--nothing stellar, that's for sure. Fortunately, neither my PT or OS were concerned at that point. That is about the time I stopped trying to be superwoman, listened to my body, and slowed down. The ROM improved after that. Today at PT, after 3 weeks with #2, my ROM was 110 and 4. Go figure. I think it is a lot like having kids: You worry about everything with the first one. After that, you just have to go with the flow and MAYBE blow the dust off the pacifier when it falls on the floor.

Teacher workshops start the last week of Aug with students' first day the Tuesday after Labor Day. That put me at 11 weeks. When I went back after #1, I went half days for 2 weeks, and that was plenty. Of course, I teach elementary PE, so it is quite active. Keep I mind you may not be ready to tackle full days, at least not with out a cooler full of ice packs and planned time to sit and elevate. Those first days back are brutal regardless of the surgery. Were they that hard 28 years ago when I started teaching?

Anyway, pace yourself, enjoy yourself, pamper yourself, and allow yourself to feel what you feel because it is all very normal.

Ready

Good morning! As an elementary PE teacher, I imagine you do have to be ready to go when you go back. I teach high school Spanish, so I will be able to rest and elevate at times and at least I will be inside in the nice air conditioning.:yes!: I had not anticipated NOT being completely ready to start the new year so it is something I will have to play by ear. I am also acutely aware that my room is up two very long flights of stairs.:groan: At least the break room/copy room/rest rooms are right across the hall from my room since my school is enormous.:thud:

I am reading the book Paris by Edward Rutherfurd. It is a wonderful book and my only complaint is that at 800 plus pages and being a hardback, it is somewhat heavy. I know I could have downloaded it on my iPad but I love books and like to keep the real thing. I don't enjoy reading electronic books, no matter how light the iPad is! :angel:

I'll bet it is nice having two teens at home! Especially since you all get along. They must be a great source of comfort, company and a big help to you.

Hope you enjoy a nice day and have a quiet and pleasant 4th tomorrow!

Good morning, Becca. How is the knee feeling this morning? Are you able to sleep pretty well? We have another beautiful summer day ahead of us, actually about 5 in a row. It sure does lift the spirits to see the sun. Hope you get some. Any good plans for celebrating the 4th?

I have been trying to get used to using the kindle to read, but I agree that the real thing is so much more satisfying. The Kindle is great to slip into a bag for the long wait at the OS office, though. Honestly, my focus for reading is not that great, and I usually nod off after a short time.

Going back to school was exhausting. I was so used to leisurely getting out of bed, breakfast at my pace, shower when ready, maybe make up-maybe not. Even preparing to get out the door was more activity than I was used to. Parking and the walk to the building, through the building, to the office...It can be a lot. I took a chair out to the playground with me and sat when/if I could. Make sure you plan your days so you can teach and then go home and rest! Easy suppers, no extra "chores" to do at home, and beg off of committee meetings! You have a legitimate excuse. I think I will be more mentally prepared to return this time knowing what my body will feel like. Do you have a supportive administrator and colleagues?

OK, my coffee is gone. Time to get a few little jobs done. Take care.
PJ

Ready

Hi, PJ. Considering I just had PT and my pains meds have been cut back somewhat, I am doing well. A little sore but I am hoping some icing and elevation will help before too long:) .

No sun for us for a few days, sadly we are in store for a lot of rain. Good news is, I won't have too much to distract me from my book. We had been planning to to have family over and grill tomorrow for the 4th but I think we will reconsider and just go out and eat. Hopefully, you will have a nice celebration AND good weather.

I have really enjoyed my vacation from makeup, too. Amazing how speedy the getting ready process is without that mess!

My work schedule is pretty sweet. I start teaching at 7:20 and get off at 2:40ish, thus avoiding terrible traffic going to and from school. We are so large, we have faculty meetings during the day, so I should be able to leave on time unless something rare occurs. I can tell I will be happier than usual about this in August.

My plan for this evening is to go to the gym and get in the warm pool and do a little water walking and some stretches. It sounds like a pretty good afternoon, now that I know I need to stay at home and rest. :angel: No stress, and am trying very hard not to worry about ROM numbers. (I am, however, a real worrywart, so it will take a lot of effort on my part!)

Have a nice afternoon!
Becca

Okay, I know I promised to quit worrying about the numbers but I can't seem to let it go. I am depressed and very discouraged by my lack of progress. I realize we are all individuals and I shouldn't compare myself to others but how can I stop?:headbang:

It has been 4½ weeks since my surgery and I am still getting only 104 and that is at the end of PT today. Who knows what it would be if the PT measured me at the beginning of the session? Why am I not getting better movement? I do my stretches, walk a little, elevate, ice , rest and try not to worry. :hairpulling: I am worried I will either be stuck here forever not being able to walk up stairs like a normal human or have to end up with MUA, both horrible options.

I have read the wonderful and informative articles here on the forum and read everyone's stories. I just don't know what to do next. I am going crazy here in the house trying to relax and rest. With all this "relaxation" I only have an abundance of time to worry.

I will welcome any insight you bonesmarties have and are willing to share with me. :boohoo:

Becca's TKR Recovery
Becca, 104 flexion at 4 1/2 weeks is a GOOD number. And you have loads of time to get an increase. Please take some very deep breaths and relax. Just keep following the mantra and keep up the bending and stretching exercises. Some of us progress at a snail's pace---and there's not a thing we can do about it but be PATIENT. But stressing unnecessarily is not doing you a bit of good---and your knee doesn't care. It's got its own schedule, and you can't rush it. And if you should need an MUA down the road----it really isn't something awful, and could jump start things for you.

You need to remember that complete recovery takes at least 12 months, and you are just slightly more than 1/12th of the way there. You have a long way to go and plenty of time to get there. The 12 week mark is when one usually starts to believe that they will be "normal" again and 6 months before you are really feeling pretty "normal". I promise YOU WILL GET THERE!

So pick your chin up off the floor, put a smile on your face, count your many blessings, and fill your mind with positive thoughts. There will be a rainbow at the end of the storm.

Please take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
Becca's TKR Recovery

Easy girl! Who told you that 104 wasn't good enough? That is just where I was at with my first knee. Today at PT, I actually lost 5 degrees (since Tuesday). I over did it 3 days in a row and am swollen and sore. I am not worried now--maybe if I were still there in 3 or 4 weeks. You just need to keep the faith and let that knee work on its own timing. My PT is so very practical and reassuring. She knows it's not time to panic and just says "it'll come." Perhaps yours isn't quite that calm, but you need to hear the same message. Please don't let what you deem to be slow progress consume your thoughts. All your worry will not change your ROM and will rob you of proper rest. Very soon now you will be driving (shhhh, but I am driving already without "permission" from anyone). That will change your whole outlook and you won't feel so cooped up. It is amazing what a trip to the grocery store can do for the spirits. You really need to let it go. It'll come! Now, rest not only your knee, but your mind. I will be thinking about you!

Ready
bottomshollow

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I really need to hear these things from someone. I hope I can stop worrying but is difficult to do with so much free time.:tada:
Becca

So how goes it today? Hope you had a restful night. Is it easier to fill time and find distractions on the weekend, or are they worse? My calendar is starting to have more events other than PT and Dr. appointments. That will happen for your soon, too. How about projects that you can do on the couch? Also, I can lose myself and hours of time on Pintrest. Lots of teacher ideas there. Anyway, keep yourself from the W word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member