TKR Becca's TKR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready
daughter stalker

I did have a busy, busy and good day yesterday, thank you for asking! I am happy to report that while I obviously did too much, the only result was that the muscles in both legs were sore (no knee problems or pain or swelling, at least in the new knee:headbang: )! That is normal since I haven't had a day with that much standing/walking/getting up and down since before my surgery! I elevated when I got home (exhausted!) and iced and I am as good as new. Ummm... as good as I was before I did all that activity yesterday. The blamed scar is even more wrinkly, so there must be more swelling leaving the knee area. Yea! Side note: I do not mean to imply yesterday was a breeze or that I was able to scamper around normally. :doh: Of course, once the initial tiredness set in my legs, I walked slowly, and I tried to walk normally without the blamed limp. I have been getting pretty good at that!

It is a rainy Sunday and and cool for these parts. I am excited but a little nervous about tomorrow. Not nervous about school, only the Frankenknee. :) And, at least I have PT tomorrow after school, so if I swell up or hurt, he will take care of it. As much as I have complained about him, he is a genuinely nice person and does a great job.

Besides church, I have to go to the grocery store and wash a few clothes today. Not too bad a schedule.

I have been sleeping well, and this contributes to my overall sense of well-being, I think. I still have to sleep on my back, though, darn it. Ready and daughter stalker, are either of you able to sleep on your sides? If so, do you have any tricks you use (pillows a certain way)? I have tried everything. I feel as though I will be sleeping on my back forever.:rolleyes: Before TKR, I NEVER slept on my back. Now I have been doing it for almost 11 weeks. :hissy:

Well, enough rattling on for me. I hope everyone has a great day and enjoys the last of the weekend!
Becca
 
Becca

Good morning! I am glad to hear you had a good day yesterday. Busy, but not ODIC. You will be absolutely wonderful tomorrow! Think of the kids and it will be fine!

Side sleeping...I have a body pillow that I use to sleep on my side. I bend both knees at the same angle or at lease this is how I begin. I have a TempurPedic adjustable bed. It is a king with dual adjustment so that my husband can be at whatever position he wants and so can I. I usually sleep with my feet in the up position and my head in the down position. Ever since we bought the bed since my knee was already bad I would sleep with my legs up and my head down. When I first came home I couldn't sleep in that position. I had to place the legs at the normal (flat) down position and the head slightly elevated. It made me absolutely nuts! :rolleyes: AND I didn't sleep much at all. In the past few days I have been able to sleep in my normal position allowing me to get more than 4 hours of sleep. I have gotten used to not sleeping all the way through the night, but I get more sleep than I did since surgery (maybe 6 or 7 hours) sleeping on my side. :happydance: I don't think this helps you, but this is what I do. I roll onto my back which I believe wakes me to get back onto my side and fall back asleep.

Have a wonderful Sunday! Get some rest. You will do fine tomorrow! :egypdance:

I will be waiting to find out how it went tomorrow! :yes!:
 
Does anyone else get chills down their TKR scar (when they get chills or shiver)? Please tell me I am not alone with this creepy phenomenon. :shrug:
Becca
 
Becca
No chills or shivers here, sorry. As far as sleeping goes, I am still most comfortable on my back. I do try on my side, but I don't last long. I still use pillows under my legs and I prop the sheet/blanket up at the feet as I can't stand the pressure of the blanket on my feet. 4 hours is still a blessing for me, yet I don't really feel like I am dragging the next day.

I will be thinking about you and your first day with your students. All the best to you! Hope you sleep well tonight and are fully rested from your weekend. I will be anxious to hear how it goes.
 
Becca

Sorry no chills here on scar. Maybe someone else has experienced this.

Can't wait to hear about your first day with the students! Have a wonderful day! :flwrysmile:
 
daughter stalker
Ready

:spin: I survived! Actually, it wasn't as bad as I had expected and was better than last Monday. I did have to do a lot of walking in my classroom, no way around it, and had to stand up quite a bit. I was able to ice and elevate for about 45 solid minutes mid-morning. By the end of the day, I was not so tired but the knee certainly was.:headbang: It was not bad...just stiff and I guess that means it was swollen at least some. But I walked down the two flights from my room to leave (not pretty but getting better..still holding on to the rail but trying to look dignified and not weird). Then I went to PT for an hour and a half, lots of massage and stretching. Got home and whipped up a quick dinner. Now I am trying to elevate and ice and I am tired now. My biggest day yet. :dancy: I made it!:yay: I am ready for :sleep: now. Don't think I will last too much longer tonight before I hit the sack!

How was your Monday, Maria? I hope you didn't have too much to do and got your assistant to do your walking. That's what I need, an assistant! :heehee:

Now, I am truly envious of Ready! I am into week two and you are still puttting around on your bike, working in the garden, living the peaceful life.:flwrysmile:

I hope you both sleep tight and have great days tomorrow! Just about to sign off and brush and floss. Zzzzzz...

Becca
 
daughter stalker
Ready
[Bonesmart.org] Becca's TKR Recovery
 
Yea! Glad your first day was successful and the kids were good. Did you sleep well last night? No doubt, it will be a long week and when Friday comes, you will be ready! Take it easy on your off hours.

I have been very good about getting up with my kids and going to school while they are at the pool. Only 2 to 3 hours at a time, but twice a day. I got loads done today.

We are back into the 90s here, too. Summer is making another run. Hope you stay cool tonight and can get some sleep. You need it. Take care!
 
Hi, everyone!

Week three back full time working! I won't say it is easy yet but it definitely is easier than it was. :) I am on my feet most of the day and I try and sit for a few moments when I can but my schedule does accommodate a two period break (preps) after teaching two classes, then advisory, lunch and three back to back classes. :) I am not swelling really, just experiencing tightness and that infernal tight band (I call it "The Clamp"). My knee moves and things are pretty good!

I am hoping things are going well, daughter stalker and Ready. I am eager to see if Maria goes back full time this week after seeing her OS!:shocked: And Ready, I am so sure you will have an easy transition back into work since you have been so busy.

We have finally gotten some drier weather and sunshine. That sure makes a sunny outlook easier, doesn't it? Well, I have papers to grade! Hope y'all have a great day!

Becca
 
Good evening Becca,

Sorry to hear that the band is tightening for you. :sad: Mine stays tight so I don't know what it feels like not to have that feeling anymore. Glad to hear you are having good days and that it is getting easier! :dancy: This is an awesome report! :egypdance:

Have a restful evening! :flwrysmile:
 
Good evening Becca,

Sorry to hear that the band is tightening for you. :sad: Mine stays tight so I don't know what it feels like not to have that feeling anymore.

:friends:Sorry you have The Clamp also. I understand it is common among TKRers for up to a year.:shocked: :groan:

It seems like it isn't there in the morning but as the day progresses, it gets me! Does yours ever go away?

You don't have any more interviews this week, do you!:headbang: :flwrysmile:

Sleep tight!

Becca
 
Interviews are every day this week! :shocked: Thankfully the highest one day total is 8. I don't think I would be able to handle another 28 interview day. :groan: My tightness hasn't gone away since TKR day. :rolleyes:

Night night! :sleep:
 
Good job, Becca Are the kids still treating you well? I started back officially today. It was an easy day in my own building of work time and technology training. And you are right, I have been on my feet way more than I had to be today. Tomorrow is the big day of district business here, there, and everywhere. We are having record high temps during the day, and record high low temps at night. Should make for a truly horrid week for the kids when they come next week. The only AC is in the office and computer lab. This too shall pass.

Keep up the good work, resting when you can.
PJ
 
:flwrysmile:Okay! I finally slept on my side last night! I went to sleep on one side, didn't wake up all night and woke up on my other side!:sleep: I know it is a small thing but I have been sleeping on my back since June 3 and I absolutely despise sleeping on my back!

Yea!:yay: And, I had NO CLAMP today (translation for those unaccustomed to my knee language and newbies: No tight band on my knee!) even after teaching/walking and taking my homeroom to get their photos taken across campus!! :happydance: Cautiously optimistic here.:spin:

Ready Congratulations on your first day back! I am sure it was a breeze for you, you overachiever, you!:heehee: I will pop over and see how it went but I have no doubts for your good day today! It is nice to ease back into work without the students:whistle: but wouldn't it be great if we could just prep and plan instead of having training and meetings?:skep: My students are a well-behaved group. I have been used to teaching the advanced AP and IB classes to upperclassmen. In anticipation of my recuperation this year, I asked for an easier load, so I have only 1 prep and mostly freshman. They take much more of my energy in the classroom but I have loads more time out.:yes: And the younger ones are still trainable!

daughter stalker I imagine you have no shortage of new students.:rotfl: Sorry you have the dreaded interviews every day this week!:hairpulling: I am keeping you in my prayers and thoughts until you get the okey dokey from your OS tomorrow. I know you will feel better mentally after that. Oh, and here is a cheery thought: Monday is a national holiday, so you can look forward to that three day weekend! Oh, and I will be looking forward to it also! :)

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Becca
 
Becca Glad to hear about good sleep and the absence of the CLAMP. Yea for holidays! It is well timed for those who started a few weeks ago as you probably need that extra day after the beginning of the year rush/transition. My hubby doesn't' quite understand why it's so much harder in September than any other month. He asks this as I reply with a raspy voice from getting my voice back in shape. Here is a great video to watch with a little educational humor for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFSSwisAM8

So after today, I know more about blood born pathogens, PLCs, passing a referendum, and CEOs, not to mention the technology replacement cycle for our district. Hmmmm, didn't leave much time for preparing, but at least those dreaded meetings are out of the way. Tomorrow is "the big sit" as I call our 3 hour staff meeting followed by lunch union meeting. Hmmmmm doesn't leave much time for preparing...Oh, but I ramble. Today I made multiple trips up and down stairs and across the campus of the HS/MS complex multiple times. Our elementary building is quite small in comparison, but the last few years I made as few trips around the school as possible. Today was no problem, and I even rode went for a 30 minute bike ride before work. Life is good.

Have a good day tomorrow--already hump day!
PJ
 
Becca, Yay for sleeping on your side!!! :yay: Doesn't it feel wonderful? :yes!: Glad to hear that the Clamp didn't show up today! You are on a roll! :happydance: I am also glad to hear you have a good group of kids this year. It has to be a wonderful feeling that you got this group especially after this surgery.

My boys keep arriving like the Energizer Bunny! They keep coming and coming and coming! :yikes: If only they were as cute as the bunny and as innocent! :rotfl: Only 25 months left until I have 30 years of state employment! :SUNsmile: In 25 months I can either continue on a day to day basis or call it quits! I will have to see how much things change by that time before I decide to retire.

Have an awesome evening and sleep well! Take care :flwrysmile:
 
How are you today Becca? Be careful reading my thread. BW2 and I have been at it again and she thinks I should go out and buy myself a package of Depends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom