Guest viewing is limited

THR Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!

Haven't posted as my recovery is chugging along. Had second PT yesterday and really like both my therapists. Seem to believe in low impact, gentle stretches. I'm using one crutch and have made a few steps sans crutch in kitchen.

Made a round at grocery store, gripping the cart handle all the way! Still off all opioids, just Tylenol and Advil as needed.

Now I guess the real boredom will set in as I feel really good and want to do more, but don't want to be a member of ODIC, even if I think @Bone-obo is a great tour guide!

Steady as I go!
 
Sounds good, @Bchbum4evr It's a good thing when you feel like you don't have much to report because things are going along nicely. I'm so glad to hear you are already off all opioids and using one crutch! That was my goal for this week, to remain using 1 crutch and to get off the Percocet. So far, so good. Keep up the good work!
 
Sounds great! I am still struggling with getting out of bed, the walker, the commode and has a problem with the rotivator thing tonight which twisted tbe bad hip so I screamed. Prefer turning circle with the walker and then lowering into bed. Getting into a straight position on the bed easier than yesterday. But only on day two so have to be patient so glad your recovery is going so well for you...
 
@SurreyGirl - stay strong, you are 9 days behind me. At your stage, I just sat and whimpered! You'll get your groove on once you get to the Hippie Hotel..
 
Hubby took me to the beach today! At least to see it. I walked around the Farmers Market and then we sat overlooking the beach, enjoyed a refreshing adult beverage, snack and the sea breeze on my face. Made me so happy! Came home, rested and iced. Still feel great.
 
Oh I could murder a “refreshing adult beverage@ right now :-)

The girls who play in the little orchestra I work with are offering to take me out to PizzaExpress for a gossipy catch up once I am a bit better. Ca t wait!
 
Question- been reading the forum and see several hippies are having Psoas pain. Is there something I should (shouldn't) do to prevent this from happening? Sounds painful and causes setbacks. I'd really like to avoid.

I had Anterior Lateral Approach and he did cut muscle.

Thank you!!
 
Hi @Bchbum4evr I hope you're having a good day so far.

To answer your question -
Avoid PT for one. Take it slow and easy. Do not push your recovery.
Below is the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please use the Activity Progression for THR (also from the Recovery Guidelines) as a rough gauge for Activity.
It will keep you on the straight and narrow and out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club)
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

A great week to you!
 
Sounds like you are doing great. Follow the advice given here and you will sail through it .
I'm still sleeping on the recliner as it's so much more comfortable and convenient for the bathroom. Transitioning to the bed will happen in it's own time.

Have a good day!
 
Stepped into the lobby of ODIC yesterday as Saturday turned into a busy, but fun night with friends. Girlfriends came over to watch the movie 'Dirty Dancing' with me. I'd never seen it and it gave us an excuse for girls night. Our men grilled steaks and cooked while we watched movie. It was late when they left so yesterday took a couple hour tour of ODIC. No offense but hope I don't do it too often!

Have to admit at PT today I was proud of myself because she wanted me to do bridges. I said 'No thank you, I've read they are to hard on a new hip.' She asked me where I read that and I said several places including Bonesmart. She didn't push so that made me happy.

I did notice the paper she gave me to show exercises to be doing at home was dated 1998! I thought there you go, they are using 20 year old, outdated material.

Steady and sure as I go! Happy Monday everyone.
 
It's great you had a fun night with friends. Too bad you visited the ODIC, but good you went no further than the lobby, lol.

I read the first few words of your post and in my peripheral vision caught "Dirty Dancing with me" and I gasped quietly :rotfl: my mind envisioning an attempt at dirty dancing with hubs. Ouch! Can you imagine?!!

It's wonderful that you had the courage to refuse the bridges at PT. I just read here today Bridges are not a good exercise for hips. I'll try to find where I read it. Imagine how many aspects of THR have progressed and improved over the past 20 yrs. yet they're still prescribing the same exercises.

Enjoy the rest of the day!
@Bchbum4evr
 
Last edited:
Hi again...
I just found what I mentioned above about Bridges in MacClellens thread.
Moderator, Jaycey, mentioned Bridging is a core stability exercise. She has spine issues and has been doing
Bridges for years and further mentioned it puts a great amount of pressure on the hip joint. With a reminder that the soft tissue and muscle in the area has just been traumatized by the procedure.

You were wise in declining today.
@Bchbum4evr
 
Good call on watching out what happens in PT. It's important that everyone advocate for themselves. I've seen some who try to fit every patient into their preferred routines, rather than work to find a personalized solution.

I'll be starting light PT tomorrow, mainly to get some additional starter exercises that will help with the log leg. Unfortunately my regular therapist is out on maternity - so I'm going to have to train a brand new one :)
 
Such early days, but you sound like you are doing well.
Sorry about the ODIC...it never hurts until you stop. That's the way it went with me anyhow.:shrug:
Your body will tell you when a particular activity or PT exercise is too much for your hip.
Good for you for sticking up for your new Hip!
Take it extra easy and have a great day.:ice:
 
Had 2 Wk post-op yesterday. All is going well! Removed my bandage so now I've seen my incision. Not as bad as I expected. Will post picture when I get a chance.

PA said to keep doing what I'm doing, showed me an exercise to do to help get hips back in alignment. She showed me the after X-ray and it looks solid and strong. Showed how my leg lengths are the same now. Once again she said how bad my hip was!

I can drive when I feel ready, no rush on my part so I'll wait a couple of weeks.

Guess now comes the boring part...trying to not overdo but keep at it steady...
 
That is really interesting. One week after I had my hip done and PT suggested bridges. I did not mention bonesmart but just said I found the picture demonstrating the move scary and I wasn’t ready yet (if ever ;/)
 
Move over @Bone-obo, will most likely need your stool in ODIC tomorrow. But I will suffer with a smile! Hubs (we recently married, but together for over 7 years) son, daughter in law and 3 of our 7 grand babies (ones I've known since before born, ages 5yo,3yo r and 9 months) moved to our city today. They've been living in Tampa Fl, about 6 hrs away. Squeee... I made dinner for them tonight and we had a great time. During the day, I'd make a dish, rest & ice, mix up something else, rest & ice. So hopefully if I do end up in ODIC, it'll be a brief stay.

Now to rest and heal and be ready to be full on Nonni to these grandkids in a few more weeks!
 
Enjoy the grandbabies!
Great for the spirit.
 
Hi there :hi:
Hope you had fun.
Take it slow, Nonni, you want to get this recovery right.
It's wise how you broke up the activity with rest periods. Hopefully you're not in the ODIC today.
A great week to you!
@Bchbum4evr
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom