Guest viewing is limited

THR Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!

Hooray for getting home.:ok:
I'm glad you are more comfortable and hopefully you will be able to have a peaceful evening.
Healing mojo coming at you!
 
We all want to be strong and say I'm okay. But when your in pain or it hits you then you need something. I found taking my extra pain Med's before bed was a way to allow me to get some sleep. I was woken with pain in hospital and they gave me something for it. I expressily asked for a script on discharge. I've taken 6 of those tablets in the last 8 days. Don't need them now, but have them. Don't let the pain get to you. Rest in your recliner, plenty of ice. Your appetite will come back. Also, it was good to get a shower and feel normal.

Be strong but be patient, slow and steady.
 
sounds like you are doing well. I am on phase 3 of sorting out my downstairs office and turning it into a bedroom at home… have to bend and stretch and sort stuff out but every half hour have to stop and ice hip before starting again. I really need this operation! DH bought me a grabber and I have been practising with it pre op. I have some Prophet shoes which need the tabs pulling up on the heel then they are snug so practising this move with the grabber.. Also practising getting out of bed with my good leg pushing the bad and using my yoga strap to haul my left leg back into bed. Husband thinks this is hilarious but, as he is refusing to fit, bars on the shower at the moment I don't think he realises how serious the recovery will be. Thank goodness for this forum. I have learnt so much!
 
@SurreyGirl - I didn't practice getting in and out of bed and I wish I had. So let your husband laugh! I've decided to sleep in recliner for a few days till I can accomplish it. Don't want to wake Hubby up several times a night to pee, he's already doing enough during the day. Our recliner is electric up and down.

I have started trying to use one crutch, but it does increase the pain so maybe not yet. Am napping a lot! No opioids today so far. Advil seems to keep it 5 or less. Still better then some days before surgery!

Hang on there
 
Don't be rushing away from the second crutch just yet. In fact use it longer and it will aid you in moving around. I'm tempted to use the one crutch but know that is a bad idea. Keep the two just until you get a few days under your belt. Healing needs time, do the exercises and rest. You see it over all the forums, rest and time.
What's the hurry, you'll be out and about in no time soon enough.
 
I was sent home with this torture device pictured. I understand the concept is to keep knees apart and to prevent rolling over during night. I LOATHE this device. For starters, if I have it latched on all four straps, hubby has to wake up and undo it. I'm sleeping in recliner, he's in bedroom. PA suggested at hospital to just not strap it down, just sleep with it between legs. So I've been compromising and securing top strap and not bottom. Which I'm not sure is truly helping other than keeping knees apart.

[Bonesmart.org] Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!


I don't want to harm my recovery but does anyone have suggestions? @Josephine Is this necessary or is keeping knees separate what matters (so maybe a different type specialty pillow).

I had anterior lateral approach. Thank you!
 
@Bull76! Your right, I need to slow down and do recovery right. Am going to try the 2 crutches today and see if that's better.

@Jaycey I am napping and feel I'm getting appropriate amount of sleep considering what my body has been through!
 
Well, you're only 5 days out yet so you need something! But not that. I suggest you get a softer one which will still do the job. Like this one and the straps fasten on top!

[Bonesmart.org] Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!



After another couple of weeks, you could change it for just a nice over-stuffed pillow instead.
 
@Bchbum4evr glad you are home and recovery is going well. Listening to your body, ice and elevation was the best advice everyone on this forum gave me. Take it slow and you have an opportunity to catch up on reading and movies now, lol. Staying ahead of the pain is key because it will promote your healing. Have a great weekend.
 
Question- when is ok to get out and socialize?

Hubby has a big deal Monday night, which is not quite a week post op. He's the head of a local veterans organization and they are having dinner and meeting; State officials of the veterans organization and local media will be in attendance. It would be about 1 1/4 hrs. A friend would take me home after the dinner portion.

I feel really good today, if I rest and ice leading to the event, is it doable?
 
Question- when is ok to get out and socialize?

Hubby has a big deal Monday night, which is not quite a week post op. He's the head of a local veterans organization and they are having dinner and meeting; State officials of the veterans organization and local media will be in attendance. It would be about 1 1/4 hrs. A friend would take me home after the dinner portion.

I feel really good today, if I rest and ice leading to the event, is it doable?
Honestly, you will change everyday. Some days you will feel completely exhausted, and then other days, you will have much more energy. At just one week post-op, I would just see how I felt when it was about time to get ready to leave, if you are feeling even a little tired, (and this is just me, I know once I'm a little tired, I go down hill fast) I wouldn't go. Also, think about the chairs you might have to sit on? Will it break your 90Āŗ restrictions? Even if it won't break any restrictions, Will they be comfortable? I'm finding even some padded chairs quite uncomfortable to sit in and I'm almost 3 weeks post-op. Will you be able to elevate if you needed to? How about if you need to ice? Just some questions to think about before you make a decision.
 
@dogchick thanks for the words of wisdom and advice. I really want to be there with hubby, but also know the reality is I need to be resting and healing. He is totally ok and understanding of my abscense. It was me pushing.

Had a great day, after a good night and now I can't get comfortable or sleep! Not hurting really, just can't get comfortable.

This too will pass I know!
 
I'd say pass on the event. As previously highlighted, you don't know how you'll feel. I had my first afternoon nap in a long time yesterday. Just was exhausted.
We all want to be there for our other half, but think about yourself first in the case. It's good that you are doing well and feel up to socialising. But take care of yourself.
 
See how you feel...could be doable but at one week out, I didn't know if I might have a spell, dizzy or woozy...
I had to miss my sons graduation eight days post op.
I planned on going...had lots of help...took pain meds...but didn't want to have any issues that would mess it up for him.
 
I did end up going to Hubbys thing, but a friend picked me up and brought me home, so I was only there an hour or so. He had gone nearly 2 hrs before event start for setup etc. and was there for another 3 hrs. it all worked out. Chairs were high enough, but couldn't elevate, so I did as soon as I got home.

Had first PT yesterday. I liked her, she seems to be gentle and understanding of not overdoing. She also remarked that their typical patients have already been to a rehab facility, not someone a week out from surgery. I'll go twice a week for 6 weeks. Will see how it goes..

I do have major hips not even I'll have to correct.

I think I've made peace with the abductor pillow. Made some adjustments with folded blankets that seemed to help. I had a restful night and only up 3 times to pee. Lol

I have full restrictions, the one I'm finding hardest to follow is 90degree when bending forward. I have no trouble with chairs and sitting correctly, but find I'm bending too far forward when getting in and out of bed and other times during the day. Any suggestions on how to remember to do it?

I feel really good. Pain is minimal and manageable with Tylenol or Advil. And of course elevation and ice.

Hard to believe it's been a week!
 
Read the posts about dislocation, if that doesn't make you mind nothing will. I waas a leg crosser, I didn't have any problem stopping as I was very aware, pre-op class made it a point. Scooting your butt forward to get out of chairs worked for me. Our bed is high so I could just slide out and not bend. I bent a couple of times early on tempting fate quickly realized what I had done. I'd say most of the dangerous moves will give you a little notice, but maybe not, I'd be careful.
 
The bending in and out of bed can be tricky. Move with both legs together and slowly. Move to the edge of the bed. I have pillows propped behind me so in the up right position to begin with. Sleeping is fun. The Physio showed me a trick with a pillow. Place the operated leg on top of it and the other leg under it. That will help with keeping the divide and stop you turning. I also sleep with pillows either side. Haven't moved to my side yet. I love to sleep on my side so this is awkward.
The pee'ing a few times through the night, I thought that was just me. Guess not. Suppose it will ease off eventually.
 
Hope today is a Good Day!
It is a "figure it out as we go" journey, right?
Great advice here though.
Keep the faith...:ice:
 
That cushion, poor you! Are you going to burn it when you're done with it? Throw darts at it or use it as a flotation device. It's awful.

It's wonderful you made it through the event Monday evening. It's nice to get out. Great to read your pain is minimal at only one week post op. You're doing great.
May it only get better!
@Bchbum4evr
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom