Guest viewing is limited

THR Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!

Sounds good, especialky the bit about the PT!
My OS does not see me until 24th September over 2 weeks after the 6 weeks restrictions are up and also after I am supposed to be going back to work...

As I am managing to sleep on my back in two stages now will continue to do so. I can also roll over into non op side for a bit of a change but can’t sleep in that position. Op side still too painful...
 
Have had a fabulous camping trip, was able to put toes in the gulf and sit in the sun for 2 hrs.

Still can't sleep because my KNEE hurts?! It does not hurt at any other time except when I try to lay down, it's worse when trying to sleep on side. I have many pillows. Any ideas? Suggestions?

This started before our trip, and after I'd done very little walking so I don't think it's ODIC. Tylenol doesn't help, icing did till it thawed out.

Appreciate your input.
 
Glad to hear your vacay is going well.
Wonder if you're taking enough Tylenol?
I'd ice as often as possible until it eases.
Buy a few extra ice packs if you can use them and store them in a small cooler so you always
have one available. I hope it eases soon for you. Wishing you comfort :console2:
@Bchbum4evr
 
Have decided the knee area pain is a pinched nerve as it doesnt bother me AT ALL until I lay on my side and the pain is in both legs, same area. Tylenol nor Advil (I know, but was desperate) alleviate pain. It is improving but not quite gone. Have been stretching back and hubby has massaged lower back.

I admit I carefully rolled over to my stomach last night and slept soundly in the bed for about 1 1/2hrs! Woke up and was scared about rolling wrong way! So went to RV couch and slept on and off.

Tomorrow we head to Auburn Univ to tailgate for this weekends game. Grandson plays for Alabama State University and they play Auburn. Will have about 20 family and friends hanging and tailgating with us. Will be fun but busy. My contributions are simple, family is cooking the main stuff.

Yesterday was 7 weeks, all in all I feel really good, often forget about the hip and my restrictions. :nah:Catch myself doing things I shouldn't. I am balancing activity with rest.. trust me!

When can I wear heels again?? :heehee:

Have a great day!
 
Hi @Bchbum4evr,

Just read your last post. So you suspect the knee pain is from a nerve? I used to get this a lot before my scope (many years ago), and the last couple of years before my THR... and still get it now, though it is different. May I ask which side of the knee, and is it the front or back?

In terms of helping this out, it does depend on where it is coming from. It is possible that the source is your spine, or your hips... or even your quads. In my experience, I have found that inflammation in one these areas causes the problem, but usually it only manifests when lying down (and for me it often goes into the shin). Icing the butt, lower back (L4/5 and S1 area) and the quad seems to help if done several days in a row. Heat works really well also (like going in a hot tub), though with being so early in the THR, that it might make things worse (alas, I am not clear for water yet, so I cannot even tell you if this would help post THR). Ibuprofen has also really helped in the past for me... again, with a THR I am not sure of the actual pros and cons, but thought I would mention it.

Now, as for sleeping. Well, as I said, I have had this nerve pain for years... 10 - 15 years before my scope (the scope cured it for a few years) and in the couple of years leading up to my THR (though not nearly as bad). Pillows and lying on my back definitely help with the pain, but after a few hours I would need to roll on my side to give my back a break. What work with the pillows however was maintaining a neutral hip/knee position. So basically, your hips are bent 30 - 45 degrees... like there is a triangle wedge under you legs (they actually have triangle wedges you can by from a back store for just this purpose... but pillows work just as well). I am not sure how you are positioning your pillows, but I suspect you are elevating your entire leg as per recommendations to reduce swelling. So you may want to try the position I have describe. It will not have the elevation benefits mind you, and I have been told that if you are still on blood thinners you should avoid any pressure under the knee because of the potential for reducing blood flow (and thus clot risk)... but it might help you get a couple more hours sleep.

There is also an alternative, which I am currently using and it helps a lot with the nerve pain for me. But you need to sleep on a couch or against a wall (op side facing the wall or the back of the couch). Basically, set your pillows up as you normally would for elevation. Sleep you 1-2 hours, or however long you normally sleep until you are no longer comfortable. When you wake up because you are uncomfortable, simply bring you le up to about 45 degrees (or higher as is most comfortable for you... but not past 90 degree of course). no here is the key part... rest the outside of you leg against the back of the couch (or wall) so that you leg is very slightly leaning out to the side (about 5 to 10 degrees). This does two things... First, the bending of the puts the hip in a neutral position, taking pressure off the lower back and hip. Second, the resting slightly again the back of the couch prevents you leg from internally rotating, and relaxes the adductor muscles. when the pain retreats (for me it happens fairly quickly, fall back asleep. When you wake up, if you are again uncomfortable, simply put your leg back on the pillows. I was doing this before my THR after an intense sports day or something, but I am doing this pretty might nightly now. It really helps the nerve pain settle down at night, and I sleep quite well.

Not sure if this will work for you, but I thought I would offer it as a possibility.

Cheers
 
Thank you @wonkyhippy!

alternative, which I am currently using and it helps a lot with the nerve pain for me. But you need to sleep on a couch or against a wall (op side facing the wall or the back of the couch). Basically, set your pillows up as you normally would for elevation. Sleep you 1-2 hours, or however long you normally sleep until you are no longer comfortable. When you wake up because you are uncomfortable, simply bring you le up to about 45 degrees (or higher as is most comfortable for you... but not past 90 degree of course). no here is the key part... rest the outside of you leg against the back of the couch (or wall) so that you leg is very slightly leaning out to the side (about 5 to 10 degrees).

@wonkyhipoy - this is how I've been sleeping since week 2. And it did work for a long time. But I would like to sleep in the bed with my hubby after 6 weeks so I've been trying the bed. I usually end up on couch after trying to go to sleep in bed. At home we have an adjustable bed and never found the right level. RV is regular mattress.

The pain is on the outer and inner side of the knee. On the Op leg AND Non Op leg.... thus the thought of pinch nerve. Dr. Google indicates it may be the Saphenous nerve. I did have knee pain pre op on the OP leg, but different then this pain. Make sense? Pre op knee pain is gone. And I have had sciatica issues but this is different location than normal.

We do have a hot tub at home, but we are in RV for next 3 weeks, so I'm limited on options. I may have to buy a heating pad if continues. I am icing and sleeping with a variety of pillows. And it did seem better last night. Took about 20 mins before hurting, whereas it's been almost immediately.

I also know this the joy of hip recovery!!

Appreciate your suggestions, keep them coming!
 
Hi @Bchbum4evr

On both side you say... so likely coming from you back then I would guess. I wish I had more suggestions for you. Have you tried icing your lower back at all?... Just curious.

Cheers,
Dave
 
:hi: @Bchbum4evr
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. Leave us an update when you have time. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Have a great week!
 
@Layla - Thanks for the Two Month Anniversary wishes! I'm doing well, it's been a busy almost 3 weeks of traveling in RV. I've been very comfortable riding and being in the motorhome. I did step briefly into the ODIC after a Saturday of tailgating with 22 people at our RV and walking to and from the stadium and up stairs to seats. Luckily I knew to ice and rest and the stay was only a day or so.

In my travels I had a chance to see my old OS at dinner, who is my best friends brother in law, he quickly diagnosed my pain at night as bursitis.. on both sides. The OP side being worse and predictably Trochanter Bursitis. I was diagnosed with that pre-op so no surprise. I was surprised with my healthy left side. I've been icing and tylenoling and it's pretty much gone on that side. Most likely from learning to walk properly again. I solved the sleep issue by gently sleeping on my stomach. Am very careful how I turn over.. @dlp thanks for sharing that you have done it.

As much as I've enjoyed our family, friends and travels- Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana, I'm ready to get home and have more focused walking and exercise schedules.

I'm not a model patient as dr said lifetime 90 degree restrictions. I'm doing things slow and easy and often forget I've had replacement. Ive even ridden on the motorcycle, short distances,after figuring out how to get on without even breaking 90degree rule!

Been without cell or internet for 5 days so will have to go catch up on all my fellow hippies!
 
dr said lifetime 90 degree restrictions.
What! Sorry but this is way over the top! Not even sure it is possible to get on with life with forever restrictions. You might want to query why.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: dlp
What! Sorry but this is way over the top! Not even sure it is possible to get on with life with forever restrictions. You might want to query why.

Yeah - having the restriction might be valid medically, but would be interesting to know why. It's really hard to go 6 weeks without bending past 90 degrees, let alone the rest of your life. And that's a pretty long time since you are a year younger than me! And I'm bending past 90 degrees all the time now without any real issues in either new hip.
 
Wow @Bchbum4evr a lifetime of restrictions. I thought mine was bad at 12 weeks.
I am asking the same as the others why? Did the OS really mean it or was he just advising you to be on the cautious side?
 
@Jaycey @dlp @Bionic yes, OS told me that too pre-op and PA said it at both followups. She also said 'we know our patients do things they shouldn't, just don't tell us!' Having been educated by Bonesmart and all you smarties, I knew each dr had different rules/restrictions. I THINK they do to cover there arses if anhip dislocates. OS is proud of his record of only 1 dislocation in 15 years.

I was really good for 6 weeks on 90 then as @dlp said, it's hard to remember once you feel better. I had planned 12 weeks on motorcycle but after talking with old OS and realizing my hip is in proper position on bike, I tried it with no ill effects.

Now, can anyone share a link or instructions on how to safely get up off the ground/floor??
 
Now, can anyone share a link or instructions on how to safely get up off the ground/floor??
Watching this space with interest because I have no idea either
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Official way? No idea... but this should work - and remember, your hip really won't dislocate immediately as you hit 91º - otherwise I think you'd hear more about it happening on this forum. :)

0) try to not fall down, but if you do, proceed to next step.
1) roll onto stomach
2) get on hands and knees - this should still keep you near 90 degrees.
3) straighten up to just being on your knees - like in church! (and maybe pray that you will be able to get back up)
4) bring one leg up so that your knee is out in front of you, like you are a protesting NFL player - still should be at around 90º
5) use that leg to start moving you upward to standing. (maybe pray again just in case)

I imagine that this isn't easy for everyone to do (probably not even me right now). So insert this step:

2.5) crawl over to something that you can use for help - like a sofa arm, chair, end table, tree, flagpole or whatever - to push/pull yourself upward with your arms.

You're Welcome :kitty:
 
@Layla or @Mojo333 or anyone! I am fairly certain I've seen stretches for ITB posted, but can't remember on who's thread. Maybe @editted. I recall they couldn't be done if under 8 Wk's post op so I didn't pay attention. I'd like to see them now and begin doing them to stretch (hopefully) my ITB.

I've looked in the library...

Thanks!
 
Just saw your note, @Bchbum4evr. I found the it band stretches in the library. If you got the go ahead to do pretty much everything, the stretches are for you. My next step is a really really good massage. My thighs and above the knee are knotted up.... biggest headache for me is steps! Cannot lead with operative leg vein now! Bizarre!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How's our favorite beach bum doing? I hope things are going great for you.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. Would love to hear how you're doing.
Warm wishes for all things good!
@Bchbum4evr
 
@Layla To truly answer what I’ve been up to, I have to step back in time to Oct 10, 430 am, when my cousin called and said ‘OMG! Are you watching that Michael is coming in as a Category 4? Are y’all staying or leaving?’ Woke hubs up, who woke his son up (he and his wife, 3 gkids and mother in-law had evacuated to our house in town) and we decided to leave, very quickly, in our RV to daughters house in Montgomery AL.

Fast forward- our house is standing, will require major repair to floors, walls, ceilings, new roof, new siding, etc. but we are safe and living in RV. Hubs kids who evacuated to our place and their mother in law, no real damage, just trees down everywhere. My daughter, who stayed/lived through the storm lost half their house.

Yes, we live in Panama City FL, may have seen us on TV this week.

Our town is devastated, no grocery stores, petsmarts, Chik Fil A (tears!). But crews are working day and night to restore power (Oct 24 is our expected date), American flags are flying high and proud, those with plenty are sharing with those that don’t. I thanked electric linesmen from Indiana today working on our street.

As for the hip- I honestly couldn’t have done all we’ve done this week if I had not had this surgery. I talked to my hip at the start and said ‘look, we are in this together, I’ll do what I can, but if I’m about to do something stupid, tell me before I do it!’

I’ve been as cautious as I can, I’ve thought about how to get up from kneeling, squatting and a hundred other stances. But we are good. Sleep is still a challenge, but whatever, I’m alive , my husband is with me, my daughter and family are safe, so I consider myself blessed beyond I ever thought.

And because it’s the internet and I don’t know you... the week before the hurricane, I found out I will be a REAL Grandma in May... (hubs has 7 gkids who I call mine, but this will be first who is truly MY blood). And yes, it’s the same daughter who lost half her house...

And that’s my story...happy hippy here!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom