THR Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!

Hit the 3 week mark yesterday! Spent the day with grandkids and went to the movies. Had no issue sitting at theater.

Monday I cancelled PT as Hubby was helping kids unload moving truck and I felt so good! No phantom pains... until I ended up in ODIC!! I was here alone, let my two Boston Terriers out and Petey took off! (Unlike him!). I had to chase him (as much as you can on 1 crutch) around the whole section of our neighborhood! Finally caught him, a neighbor picked him and handed him to me. I carried him home! I was so upset! Luckily my hip joint feels good, no pain, but my calves are killing me! Ended up having to take Lortab last night to help with pain. I am resting and icing again today, did do a 12 min walk and some calf raises to help stretch them out.

Other then that, my recovery has been really easier than anticipated. Still don't sleep in the bed, but couch is comfy. I make our meals, fold a little laundry and rest. I am using just a cane.

I know, slow and steady wins the race! You can bet I won't let dogs out again when alone!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well!
Feels funny trying to trot/run doesn't it?
Just no falling!
:dogwalk:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: dlp
Yeah - no falling. I had to give up my fancy-pants Aeron desk chair here at home because I didn't want to have it roll out from under me while trying to sit or stand. Using a kitchen chair, but not for long since they aren't comfy - even with 2 seat pads :)
 
@Mojo333 @dlp no joke! The entire time I was 'chasing him' I thought 2 things, 'heel-toe' and 'do-not-fall'! Today Petey's eyes were floating and he had to wait till Hubby got back from store. Lol!
 
That's hilarious! :heehee:
I'm imagining you trying to run after a dog, with a crutch, mumbling heel-toe, heel-toe.
What a sight. That's a good one.
Hope you're out of the ODIC soon!
@Bchbum4evr
 
I'm blessed beyond measure because Hubby has massaged my lower legs and feet with lavender lotion the last 2 nights. (May be guilt as Petey is HIS dog). It's been aaaammmaaazziinnnggg! I'm out the door of ODIC tonight.
 
No no Petey:no-fin:
Glad no ill effects....hope your day is uneventful!:)
 
I'll be honest, I'm very conflicted on PT, I understand the BSmart philosophy but am getting pushback from Hubby and PT.

I told PT yesterday I won't do bridges and she asked 'Then how will you get your glutes to re-engage?' I answered 'by walking' and she said that won't do it!

I've only had 3 sessions and told Hubby if I hurt again after yesterday, I'm not going back. Of course I don't hurt this am!:chinstroke:

Any rebuttals (no pun intended!) or further explanations I can use to express my belief in walking is all I need, I'd appreciate it.
 
No disrespect to hubs (honestly, I mean that) but it's your body, your hip, your recovery.
He can't feel your pain or discomfort. I'd ask him to respect and support you in any decision you make with out any push back.

PT will always recommend PT, it's their livelihood. They get paid big bucks.

More and more surgeons are going with the philosophy that new hips don't need physical therapy. For whatever reason it sometimes takes awhile for these things to catch on. Look at pro-biotics, or Vitamin D. While many of us read, understood and believed in their importance, evening taking both, it took the medical community a lot longer to jump on the band wagon. Now they're recommending both and routinely testing Vitamin D levels. Small example and maybe not the best example but something to consider.

I wouldn't allow PT to think you believe she is an authority on all, because she's not. If you continue to go, I'd make an agreement with the therapist that you will only do what you find comfortable and if it hurts, you're not going to do it. Let her earn her money running through her list of exercises each time and you pick and choose the ones you'll engage in. You're the boss, not her. I wouldn't even ask her opinion on anything giving her that power of authority over you.

Ultimately, you will find varying opinions on this. I did attend less than a handful of PT sessions myself until I realized I didn't care for the motions she was trying to put me through and and I slowly gained an understanding I didn't really need PT. I realized I could heal and progress naturally through walking and my normal daily activity.

You can always set it aside for later. Let's say a month from now and just see how you progress in the interim. You'll probably never go back....

Long ago, another asked this question on the forum (love and use this often) - Had you sustained this injury through a car wreck would you be exercising your leg like that? I suspect not. There's been a lot of trauma to your leg, your flesh was cut, soft tissue, tendons and muscles disturbed. Power tools were used. Your leg needs to heal, not be exercised. Give it the TLC it needs and deserves.

I've just completed my opening statement, lol.
That means I may come back with a closing statement, beware! :heehee:

Wishing you a great weekend!
@Bchbum4evr
 
Hi @Bchbum4evr,
I had my op on 13th July only a few days before you. PT told me the only exercise I should do is walking. Went back 2 days ago, he watched me walking and then gave me some very gentle exercises to do 4 times a day. I must stress that they are gentle exercises and I don't get any pain from doing them.
He is an older PT and said he has been doing this for 25 years and in all his time he/his patients have never had any issues with this approach. He told me that the hip op is an investment in my future and that if I am patient it will last me many years. I hope this helps
 
@Layla - no offense taken on comment about Hubby. He is not forcing me to do PT he just wants me to be whole and painfree after all these years of listening to me whine. He's from an older generation so believes in PT. Doesn't help his son told him a friend didn't do PT on shoulder so has limited range. I said Hips and Shoulders are different!!

@Bionic that does help. My ROM is better now then the last 18 months pre-op! However my gait is terrible and that's my biggest worry! If I know I can go back in a couple months for help with that, then answer is a no brainer.

Keep the experiences coming...
 
Shared with hubby this morning that it is so weird to not be hurting- anywhere!

The last 3-4 years I've had pain in hip (sometimes knee because of hip) and the 18 months prior to surgery it was constant, 24-hr day pain.

Yesterday and today I've had NO pain, no sore calves or quads or twinges... nothing! It's surreal...I can hardly recall the times in life without pain. I've only had 2 Tylenol went I went to sleep last night as a precaution.

Anyone else experience this sensation?
 
Isn't it Splendid:yahoo:
I still get amazed at how life is without chronic pain.
Makes you So Grateful and so happy we live in a world where medical innovation had a solution to bad hips!
Truly amazing!
Good for you...hope your week is wonderful!:SUNsmile:
 
@Bchbum4evr
No pain, it's fantastic isn't it. I too had hip pain for such a long time that I couldn't remember life without it.
I do have pain in the knee on the opposite side which does mess things up a bit but the hip is pain free. I could kiss my OS.
 
Shared with hubby this morning that it is so weird to not be hurting- anywhere!

The last 3-4 years I've had pain in hip (sometimes knee because of hip) and the 18 months prior to surgery it was constant, 24-hr day pain.

Yesterday and today I've had NO pain, no sore calves or quads or twinges... nothing! It's surreal...I can hardly recall the times in life without pain. I've only had 2 Tylenol went I went to sleep last night as a precaution.

Anyone else experience this sensation?
Getting there! I do have pain if late with my meds but now the meds are correct there is very little pain compared to pre op which had me shrieking every time husband drove over potholes..

I think looking back, knees, back and everything hurt and I went for years with pain. Already feeling so so much better xx
 
I think we deal with hip pain for so long that it becomes a part of us. When it's gone there is "something missing". No more fighting the pain and planning life around it. Sounds like you are going great @Bchbum4evr !
 
One month Hipaversary! Can't believe how far I've come, even the last 4 days have shown major improvement.

I'm driving, walking unaided in house and today walked 3/4 mile with cane! Some I did without cane. Really working on gait. Have a floor length mirror at end of hall, walk and see how I'm progressing. Still a small ( compared to what it's been) limp when I focus on walking. I sleep pretty much all night (just up to use restroom) on the couch. Pain meds are 2 Tylenol at bedtime.

Today I visited a friend in hospital, had my hair cut and colored (hallelujah!) and made dinner.

Tomorrow I'll spend time with grandbabies ( 3 yo and 6 yo) but will rest as well. Kind of a tag team situation.

If ONLY I could sleep on my side in the bed with hubby. One day, right?
 
Oh my stars...I missed it!:whistle:
Happy belated one month hipversary!
Good job Bchbum4evr!
Hope your day with the grands didn't wear on you too much!:friends:
 
Happy Four Week Anniversary!
Hope you had fun with the grand babies today.
Practice heel-toe walking for the limp, if you're not already. Heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes.
You're doing great! Wonderful update.
Enjoy the rest of the week.
@Bchbum4evr
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom