THR Bchbum4evr is FINALLY getting her 4evr!

Dang it! PT got me, so today is a rest and ice day. I don't even know what the exercise was called but for two different exercises I stood only on new hip leg and did step ups with non op leg; the other I stood on new hip leg and did side leg slideouts. So a lot of time on just new joint and it is NOT happy with me. I also did my walk today and my gait is much worse then yesterday. Sleep wasn't possible last night even with loratab pain pill.

Cancelling Monday's appt. it's been mainly stretches until yesterday. It's a rainy day, so sitting on screen porch watching storms come in and icing.
 
@Bchbum4evr
OUCH - no wonder you are hurting. That sounds a lot to me.

I think you have made the right decision to cancel Monday's appt.
 
Sorry you're in pain. I hope it eases quickly for you. Just a reminder -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Just noticed today is your One Month Anniversary. Happy Anniversary! Happy Friday! Happy Weekend!
That's a whole lotta happy, just for you! :wink:
@Bchbum4evr
 
Sorry you are hurting...and at your one month mark:sad:
Hope your weekend is restful and restorative and cool:ice:
Healing mojo coming your way!
 
First, I'm happy to report that I have cancelled the rest of my PT sessions. :loveshwr: After the session on Thursday and the setback in gait and pain, I'm done. So I'm walking and stretching at home. PT even said Thursday I didn't really need heel slides etc anymore as my ROM is great. Just need to strengthen leg and work on gait.

Today I walked .9mile without my cane! We have nice paved walking trails in our neighborhood with slight inclines, but not too bad. Lots of shade trees and benches if I feel the need to rest. Home on ice and elevated. (Swelling has been a non-issue for me except at incision)

@Mojo333 or anyone else- my quad is so tight, I feel if I could stretch it, my walk would be even better. Did you have any particular stretch that helped you with yours?

And a silly question- on the progression chart, are those suggestions at end of week 4 or beginning of week 4? I know, silly question.

I dreamed last night of walking on the beach....soon it will be reality, I hope!
 
I'm happy you cancelled PT. Not only because you'd don't need it but because you heeded the warning of the set-back. Great news on losing the cane.

I'm sorry but I don't know any quad stretches to recomended but I'm sure some will stop by with what's helped them.

As far as the Activity Progression, for myself, I broke it down as:
Week 1 (days 1-7)
Week 2 (days 8-14)
Week 3 (days 15-21)
Week 4 (days 22-28)
Week 5 (days 29-35)
if wrong, Jo or Jaycey, I'll stand corrected.

You're at a full five weeks post op tomorrow - Day 35
Beginning Week 6....tomorrow
The following is a rough gauge on what you could target over the next two weeks.

Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Hope this helps. Have a great week!
@Bchbum4evr
 
If I'm wrong, I did my recovery wrong and I'm NOT starting over :rotfl:
 
Home on ice and elevated. (Swelling has been a non-issue for me except at incision)

@Mojo333 or anyone else- my quad is so tight, I feel if I could stretch it, my walk would be even better. Did you have any particular stretch that helped you with

Glad you are icing and elevating.
You may have more swelling than you realise. Often as not it's internal swelling which contributes to the general feelings of pain, tightness and throbbing.

I didn't have alot of visible swelling either.
Now the part you may not want to consider...you may be doing a little too much but also it's just something you can probably expect as you get more mobile. Just rest it and ice it after activity.

My quads went from super sore, to super tight, to very sensitive...alot of it, I think, had to do with my anterior approach and how the muscles were manipulated to get those new parts in!
Can't help them feel better by aggravating them.
Early days, dear beachbum !
Hard not to want to play with our new toys, but do try to be patient!
:friends:
 
Interesting about the tightness. I really feel that first thing in the morning but it usually frees up a bit after moving about
 
Hi @Bchbum4evr
I just read on Barbaraj's thread that you're a newlywed. Big Congrats to you!
Wishing you and hubs many years of happiness, great health and lots of love!
I hope your recovery is coming along well. Leave us an update, would love to read one.
A great week to you!
 
@Layla thanks for the well wishes. We've been together for several years, but decided to make it official in April.

My update is pretty much a non-update! Im back to going and doing like I was pre-surgery, just without pain!:yahoo: I'm walking an average of 1.2 miles on my walks and by the end of the day Fitbit says 5-6000 steps, which I could never have done before. I do still ice and elevate. I still get,and I know it will continue, zips and zings and random soreness, but nothing a couple Tylenol can't handle.

My biggest challenge is still not sleeping in the bed! I've tried different pillows, adjusted the firmness, changed sides, etc and I just can't get comfortable! I'm even trying to sleep on side. Oh well, moot point come Thursday as we will be camping in our RV and I'll have no choice where to sleep! Lol

I see my OS tomorrow for 6 Wk post op. Hope to get permission to put my toes in the sand, and feet in the Gulf very carefully! Will be curious how he feels about me quitting PT.

I still get excited at the little milestones - yesterday I went down the stairs like normal! Friday I had tried and couldn't!

Stronger and steadier every day!
 
Hi again,
Sounds like you're doing really well.
Sleeping in bed will come. Don't stress about it.
Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Safe travels as you get on the road Thursday. Have fun camping!
@Bchbum4evr
 
I was almost three months out before I slept well all night...:bored:
I'm sure it won't take you THAT long...
You need the beach, I'm sure!
Just be careful...
Live to hear what Dr says!
 
Had my 6 Wk post op. Didn't meet with doctor, but with Stacy his PA. (I think she knows more then OS does post op!).

Anyways- I'm doing great! Told her I quit PT and why and she said 'Good Call'. She agreed once you get your ROM and stability back, walking is the best exercise.

I'm released for swimming, hot tub and the BEACH! Being very careful of course.
In 6 weeks I can ride the motorcycle and start doing gym classes again. Being very careful.

My OS believes in 90 degree restrictions for life, which I think is unnecessary but will honor them as much as I can, especially the next few months.

I'm released to sleep on side, which honestly I've been trying to do last week or so and still can't get comfy.

One question I failed to ask - Can I sleep on my stomach?? Pre surgery it was the only way I could sleep without pain. Appreciate any answer you have on that.

She said typically they would see me again in 6 weeks, but sees no need, so see them in a year! Obviously if I have an issue, I can call them.

Off to get ready for Glamping this weekend...
 
Great update!
I can't comment on stomach sleeping. I'm a side sleeper.
Have fun Glamping. Safe travels....enjoy!
@Bchbum4evr
 
@Bchbum4evr
Your OS or his PA sound as cautious as mine.
It's 3 months restrictions for most things for me. I did specifically ask about stomach sleeping and that was 3 months too.
I am sure others do things more quickly but I am prepared to stick with what I have been told. I guess you could always ring the PA to check.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: dlp
One question I failed to ask - Can I sleep on my stomach?? Pre surgery it was the only way I could sleep without pain. Appreciate any answer you have on that.

Was no stomach sleeping given as a restriction, or are you just wondering if it will be comfortable? We had surgery on the same day, and I'm now sleeping pretty much any old way I end up - usually side, but once in a while I end up on my back or stomach. Obviously everyone is different, but it's not a problem for me. I've also not heard stomach sleeping as a restriction... but if you are really uncertain, shoot a quick note or give a quick call to Stacy. :)
 
@Bionic @dlp

Thanks! It was not given as a specific restriction, was told only back sleeping until today. In reading some articles on line it's recommended you don't sleep on stomach as it's too easy to turn foot/leg inward and dislocate hip. I'm just desperate for sleep so was hoping. I'll be a good girl for 6 more weeks - maybe!

Hoping RV bed will be answer to sleeping, its dark and very cold when we sleep in it (hey! We aren't paying the power bill!). May be just a mental block too.

Happy to hear y'all are doing so well!
 
Yay for great report!
:egypdance: onward and upward!:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom