Guest viewing is limited

TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

I think so. You are still swollen and now air is hitting it and probably making it dryer, thus feeling tighter. Keep elevated and iced! Take plenty of naps. Next week this time you will feel a difference! It's not a day to day change, but a week to week improvement.
 
What a struggle you have been through! You are being such a trooper about it, taking each challenge in stride. It makes me so mad when health care professionals don't listen to the patient! Thank goodness you finally know what was causing your hives. Your scar and whole leg look really good to me - not red, weepy, or swollen. One thing I liked about being able to see my scar (and the only thing!) is that I could see that bending my knee was not causing the wound to pop open. While it was covered with a bandage, it really felt like that was happening. I can't tell you how much better my second week was than my first week! So welcome to a better week for you too.

p.s.: I have an adjustable frame on my bed, so I've been sleeping with my legs up in the air. This has been good for my leg, but it also helps me resist the temptation to roll over on my side. I wonder if some risers under the foot of your bed would help?
 
@Barnmom22 my bandages were removed on Tuesday and it does feel tight, but I think that swelling has something to do with that.

I hope you are doing better with your allergies and that you are finally on meds that work for you!!
 
Increased sensitivity came along with staple removal for me. Your knee may be swollen because of the time spent visiting the dr. with your leg down and not elevated.
 
@KarriB. Yes that's a thought. Had nurse, p t , several long calls with hematologist at and OS. Was fatiguing.

@Happydale. Good idea. Going to try to elevate end of bed. Congrats on your two week anniversary! How does it feel today?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not moving can cause a lot of pain, even more than moving can cause. I found that out once when I was in the hospital and had an IV elbow crease, I was unconsciously holding my arm stiff and suddenly got severe pain in my arm (I'd say a level 8 at least). It was constant hard pain. I told the nurse when she came in and she took my arm, lifted it and changed the position and the pain instantly went away. I was completely shocked. I think it would be very, very important to work on relaxing your muscles during your recovery.
 
Just keep resting it and all the rest. No exercises yet awhile, okay?
You know, Monday I gave you this advice
she was impressed with my ability to lift my leg, kick out and heel slides.
Now yesterday you tell me this. Am I wasting my breath? No exercising means none, nada, nothing. Only rest, elevating, icing and pain meds. You're only one week out. Much MUCH too soon to be doing exercises.
Although incision looks healthy it feels very different to me. Feels tighter, more sore. Is that normal?
Yes it is, especially if you are doing exercises and being too active.
Honey, this is no good as you haven't told me how many of each of these you do and how may times a day.
Tuesday I left you this question to expand on the information you'd give me. I'm still waiting for your reply and would appreciate it so I can advise you better.
 
Gee whiz. Nobody ever called me honey in that tone before. What did I do to annoy you so much @Josephine? I am half out of my mind on pain killers and struggling with basic body functions. My main exercise is breathing and trying to use the bathroom. I have not and will not let the p t push me. She's actually been great and alerted the doctors to an allergic reaction to Lovenox and insisted they change Meds much to my relief. She showed me how to get in and out of shower and how to use walker. That's it. As always I am grateful for the education and help Bone Smart provides. I also appreciate greatly the opportunity to get support from the community and hope not to be discouraged from participating.
 
@Barnmom22
Josephine isn't annoyed with you, and no one is trying to discourage you from participating. You need our help and we want to to help you. :friends:
I understand that when you're upset it's easy to infer a certain tone, but really there is no tone in the written word.
Josephine does need the answers to her questions, so that she has all the facts and can advise you appropriately. She has a lot of experience and can help you here, but only if you help her.
 
Josephine called me 'honey' as well. I took it as a term of endearment. She has your best interests at heart. We all care about you and are here for you.
By the way, I love, love, love your doggie!
You take care and rest.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I'm sure Josephine didn't mean anything about the honey word. She calls many honey and I think it's a term of endearment and shows that she really cares. Please don't take anything the wrong way. We ALL care!
 
Gee whiz. Nobody ever called me honey in that tone before. What did I do to annoy you so much @Josephine?
You read annoyance in that? How come? And how did you interpret a 'tone' in it anyway? I was trying to be friendly, reassuring and comforting. Gee, there really is a massive chasm between UK and US language!
 
Barnmom22 we are all here for you and no-one is more dedicated to our well being than Josephine and Celle. I truly hope you continue to lean into this forum and all that it offers.
I am very happy that you are finally off of the meds that were causing you the allergic reaction. I hope things start to improve now. Just remember this is a long recovery and there are ups and downs, highs and lows but at the end we will all have knees that work and allow us to live our lives fully again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @LFitz. It's day 11 and I'm doing ok. Still on heavy meds and spending all my time icing and elevating. Staying ahead of the pain. Sleep is still sporadic but I know that comes with the territory. If nothing else I will emerge from this challenge a much more patient person.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You absolutely will, @Barnmom22 ! You are right on track, staying ahead of the pain, sleep whenever you can, elevate and ice. Next week will look different than this week. :yes:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Barnmom22 I hope you are doing well...a good night sleep is a challenge, I have a hard time finding a comfortable position, last night I took 2 benadryls and was able to sleep better. Keep us posted on your recovery :flwrysmile:
 
Heavy pain meds is par for the course at this stage of your recovery and I'm glad they are working for you. Sleep whenever you can because that might not necessarily be at night right now but that, thankfully, along with the pain gets better. Patience is a whole other animal - all I can say is good luck with that (I never did figure that out) teehee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
By the time you start to feel better after being patient with the pain for what seems like eternity,.. the boredom sets in- LOL! But before you know it you'll be looking back thinking, 'well, it wasn't THAT bad'! If you make it to 5wks that seems to be the magic date- or was for me I should say.
 
They say to never ask God to give you patience because He'll send something your way to make you have to have patience. I didn't ask, but He is still teaching me! In the long run it will make me a better, more understanding person towards others going through their trials.
 
Tomorrow is two weeks post surgery and I now understand what you all have been saying about improvements. Yesterday I discovered I could lift my leg onto the bed unaided. I can also walk with a cane now but feel more safe just yet with a walker. I skipped a midnight dose of percocet and learned I am not yet ready to reduce pain meds. Won't try that agin soon. I don't have my first OS appointment until Monday and only have four days of pain meds left so I've emailed OS for refills. Hope that won't be a problem for them. I have some Tramdohl and will ask OS about switching to the tramadohl/tylenol combo soon.

My home PT is terrific but she does like to try to push my knee for more ROM when she measures. This morning she gave me the talk about window of opportunity for ROM. I told her about Bone Smart, sent her the link, and asked her to take a look and let me know what she thinks. I was at 84 ROM. Now 88. she seems to think that's not very good for two weeks especially since there is not much swelling or bruising. It's hard for me to disagree with her because this is her specialty and she is overall such an excellent PT and a kind person. On the other hand I don't want to be so taken with my Bone smart Club (cult?) that I miss the best opportunity for maximizing ROM. I have no idea what my OS's philosophy is on this subject but will be sure to ask on Monday.

One other concern is in the poop area. Not much happening despite prunes, colace and seema. I drink a lot of water. When I pop a suppository I get a little relief but no unbidden relief. I'm inclined to just wait for my system to catch up. Any danger in that?

Overall I am much more comfortable than a week ago so I am encouraged.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom