TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

1. When laying down with leg elevated and icing the pain is 1-3. When I swing leg onto floor to get up to go to bathroom searing pain at 4-7.
I wouldn't call 4-7 a 'searing' pain. That would be more like a 9 or 10. But it is common to experience that kind of pain when you first stand as the blood drains into the leg. As long as it goes down again when you sit.
2. Moderate swelling
Not bad!
3. The pt measured it at 84 two days in a row. And plus 5 extension
Also not bad!
4. Icing constantly
6. Elevating all the time.
Good
PT came twice. Had we walk down a long hall and back. Wanted me to kick out bad leg. I could not. She did try on her second visit to push knee. I told her to stop. I told her it doesn't count if she pushes. She said I'm wrong. She's coming back tomorrow
I would tell her NOT to come back tomorrow if she has an attitude like that! SHE is wrong but then you already know that!

Ankle pumps. About a dozen times a day with ice and elevation in bed
Ankle circles same
Heel slides in bed but I don't get far with them
That's it for exercise
Honey, this is no good as you haven't told me how many of each of these you do and how may times a day.
 
You have been on my mind so much! A random thought I'm having about your struggles: I'll bet you're freaking out. This is a lot to deal with, which makes it nearly impossible to move your head to a positive place. Try your best to remember that your body is currently healing. Even though it doesn't feel like it to you. You have a good team supporting you, so try to trust that you, your own body, your health care pros, and your family will work together and succeed in resolving the problems you're having. Here's to a better day for you!:cheers:
 
Stick to your guns! Don't let her even touch you if you think she might hurt you. My therapists never touched my leg unless they were going to massage the muscles for me.
 
It was only after I found Bonesmart. I tried it their way before and all I can say is OUCH!
 
Good morning, Barnmom22. I'm waiting for my PT to arrive, checking in on my BS pals in the meantime. I hope you have a good day today!
 
Good luck with your session this morning. Don't let them hurt you!
 
Hello bs friends. I had to reschedule p t until just now because I was feeling ill this morning. She was a little concerned with a low grade fever that ebbs and flows, chronic nausea and rashes from the lovenex injections. She decided to call the doctor and is waiting to hear back. My rom decreased to 80 from 84 but she said she was impressed with my ability to lift my leg, kick out and heel slides. Very little swelling today. A nurse was supposed to come to remove bandages but was a no show. Maybe tomorrow. Prunes finally gave me some relief and I am hoping for more. The nights continue to be long and mainly sleepless but I am able for some reason to nap during the early morning.

One week under my belt. Grateful for that and for all the help I am receiving. Even though I've never been comfortable asking for help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bless your heart @Barnmom22- that first week in recovery was my worst. So glad you're entering your second! Hope so much you get answers from you doctor and are feeling better soon!
 
I temperature went up and down, too for the first couple of weeks. It's OK now. Yours will be, too, I'm sure.
Even though you don't see swelling on the outside, it is still swollen on the inside and that effects your ROM. It will come, just give it time. Be patience, one week out is an infant knee!
 
Hello bs friends. I had to reschedule p t until just now because I was feeling ill this morning. She was a little concerned with a low grade fever that ebbs and flows, chronic nausea and rashes from the lovenex injections. She decided to call the doctor and is waiting to hear back. My rom decreased to 80 from 84 but she said she was impressed with my ability to lift my leg, kick out and heel slides. Very little swelling today. A nurse was supposed to come to remove bandages but was a no show. Maybe tomorrow. Prunes finally gave me some relief and I am hoping for more. The nights continue to be long and mainly sleepless but I am able for some reason to nap during the early morning.

One week under my belt. Grateful for that and for all the help I am receiving. Even though I've never been comfortable asking for help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
We all get comfortable asking for help from our Bonesmart buddies! I'm glad you're checking in with the doctor on the rash & such. Boo on the nurse being a no show.

Oh, I remember those morning naps! I would sleep a few hours at a time in installments overnight and then get up about 5-6 AM. I'd have breakfast, shower and get dressed and be napping by 10:00. :zzz:
 
That pretty much sounds like my schedule, too! The naps help so much!
 
Just got bandages off and posted scar. It's six inches long. Knee circumference is 38 inches vs good knee which is 33. Feel slightly Frankenstein ish. Remembering all those skinned knees when I was a child. Especially from jumping off my bike while it was still going. It really helps that you all have posted scars a few weeks down the line so I know it will heal and fade. I guess staples stay until my first OS appt. which is not until 7/11.
 
I hope you mean 38 cm!
Your scar looks very good for one week post op. I remember it being a bit scary to see for the first time, but you'll get used to it, and it's amazing how quickly it heals. I hope you get some advice from your doc soon to help with your nausea and other concerns. Make the most of your morning naps, you will start to get more sleep as time goes by, and naps all count.
Take care and rest.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Haha. Yes. Cm. I wonder what you all do at night in bed. I am uncomfortable with legs flat out. Elevating is more comfortable but I know there is not supposed to be a pillow under the knee. Curious what methods you have come up with.
 
It's a busy night here. Just had verification that I am having an allergic reaction to Lovenox. So tomorrow the hematologist will prescribe another drug. I've been telling them for five days about the welts and itching. Finally took a picture with my iPhone and sent it to her. She called instantly to say no more Lovenox.
 
I always have a pillow under my knee in bed, sometimes two if I have swelling. I, too, find it uncomfortable to lay my leg straight out. My extension isn't quite there yet.
 
I used a stack of staggered pillows to elevate my leg with a slight bend to my knee. It's more comfortable than keeping your leg completely straight.
 
Bandages were removed yesterday. Although incision looks healthy it feels very different to me. Feels tighter, more sore. Is that normal?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom