TKR Barnmom22's recovery thread<

@Celle. I don't mean weights or anything like that, I don't even have the energy for that...that is what she doing, excercises to strengthen my quads, and working on my good leg to make it stronger, I also have back problems and doing some excercises for that.
 
Made it to two weeks! Very excited to see surgery in rear view mirror. Working on my attitude and seeing forest from trees. Still unsure about this p t stuff. Had a painful afternoon and evening yesterday after a morning p t session. But how can I be sure it was p t and not just a down day? I am thinking of canceling p t tomorrow and just walking around my apartment and gentle stretching.

I feel a lot of improvement in muscle strength. Can easily lift leg and use cane now. A few times I forgot to grab it or walker and was able to walk on my own to kitchen and bathroom. Working on the miralax thing. I guess what I really want to say to those behind me or considering--progress is made even two weeks out-- and even for those like me that experienced extreme dread before surgery and significant despair right after.

And a big two week shout out of thanks to the creators of and participants on this web site.
 
It wouldn't hurt you at all to take the week off, especially if you are sore. Then do some easy heel slides at home and go about you're day.
 
Today I count it all blessings that I found this group of wonderful individuals who have blazed a path to a better recovery for me. And best of all my knee is responding well to my patience!
@Suz, you don't know how it makes my heart and spirit soar to read your post! It's so good to get pats on the head once in a while!
[Bonesmart.org] Barnmom22's recovery thread<
 
@Barnmom22 I know it's hard to have a zippity do dah attitude when we are so limited as to what we can do, have aches and pains, can't sleep, can't eat or even go to the bathroom, etc,the list goes on and on, but we have to be able to look forward and see the silver lining on this dark cloud, it helps if you follow some uplifting threads like @Suz @Floridagal and so many others that are a little ahead of us and are getting their life back.

I was miserable before my tkr and would have been even more miserable for the rest of my life had I chosen not to have surgery, so I accept the challenge, I can handle whatever this knee throws at me now, I know it's temporary, I feel so much better three weeks after tkr, I look forward to the upcoming weeks and if I have a bad day I know that I have many friends in BS that will cheer me on.

I really hope you feel better soon!!!
 
I was wondering when you go see your surgeon Barnmom22. I predict that visit will be a lot of good news for you, if it hasn't happened already. Everyone says TKR recovery is very difficult, and now we know first hand. But I'm feeling a bit of what a mountain climber must feel when they summit - I AM DOING THIS! And I really can't believe that whimpy old me is making it through this experience. I'm starting to believe I will actually survive it. One more thing to be happy about!

I'm still not comfortable walking with the cane, so I am mostly using my walker. You inspire me, and I am consciously trying to use the cane more. Happy 2 week knee-anniversary!
 
Hi there it really sounds like your first 2 weeks have gone really well and that's awesome. I think your ROM is great for 2 weeks. If you have a pt that listens then that is great, but if she insists on what her goals are for your ROM than I would have a conversation and set realistic expectations according to how your knee is feeling. My OS looks for 90 at 6 weeks. I personally think this is much more attainable and realistic because swelling can have reduced enough by that point. I didn't get that because of aggressive pt, my bad for not knowing this was in my control.... Best wishes as you continue your recovery. Oh, and I really hope that elusive poop fairy comes to your house soon :wink:
 
Sounds like you're having a successful recovery! I'm hoping you have a poop fairy visit really soon. I'm still doing nuts and Miralax. I skipped 2 days and didn't get a visit for those 2 days and much of today. As long as we're on pain killers we have to take precautions in not getting stopped up!
 
Today I left the house for the first time since surgery to see my OS. Being me I was very nervous about this visit but I am delighted to report that it could not have gone better. He removed the staples --what a relief-- and said I am having an ideal recovery in terms of incision healing, flexion and mobility. He wants me to come back in 6 weeks. He said that my knee was severely arthritic including the kneecap. He prescribed outpatient pt 3 times a week if I am comfortable with it. Fortunately someone on his list is a half block away so I am hoping that works out.

I am still taking Xeletro and want to stop it but my hematologist I just learned is on vacation this week. I feel that if I can return to one low dose aspirin a day and am allowed Advil then I won't need Percocet at all. I left a message for the doctor covering for her.

So that's it. Still will rest, ice, and elevate but much encouraged!
 
Oh and he suggested I eat iron rich foods like kale red meat spinach etc.
 
I'm thrilled to bits you had such a good report from the OS. "Ideal recovery" sounds good to me, and this report must have given you confidence. The worst is behind you now!
Tabby xxx
 
What a good report! Don't forget to eat your spinach! We need to become like Popeye for a few months and get this iron level back up. Maybe that would help with the energy drain.
 
Just be careful with pt three times a week. Be sure you aren't aggravating the soft tissue. I'm glad you're relieved by the good report. I took an iron pill after my TKR surgery, but OS wanted me on high protein diet after infection surgery.
 
Yes@karrib you are so right to caution me. I have a few pts to call in my area and hope to use all I have learned on BS about overdoing to avoid that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are doing really well. Always gives me a glimmer of hope when I see others live thru this ordeal to see the rear view mirror. Keep feeling better every day.
 
Great report! Pt three times a week is very hard especially in the beginning. I found that two times a week on Mondays and Thursday's worked for me so I had some down time between sessions. The most important thing I did was to never do anything that hurt ( uncomfortable yes). I never did squats or step ups. I did enough of that sitting and then standing at home and walking up and down the stairs in my house.
 
Today I am 3 weeks since surgery. Even though I got a glowing report at my first OS appt two days ago I find my confidence waxing and waning several times a day for various reasons. I try to remind myself that every day healing is happening inside my knee and leg and that this is a marathon not a sprint. I see signs of growth every day such as no cane at home and increased ability to,lift my leg and bend my knee. I still walk though with a lot of stiffness--tin man style a la Wizard of Oz--and find it painful to sit for long meals or friends visiting. I so much appreciate the visits but after a half hour or so I am secretly longing to return to bed to elevate and ice.

The surgeon said my flex of 95 at 3 weeks is good. But the home p t said she didn't think that was so good. I had my last session with her yesterday. By the way I suggested she look at BS and to her credit she did. She said she disagrees with some of the advice but finds much of it sound. Her main disagreement is about p t, of course. I have to trust that the surgeon is not placating me and that I will gain flex each week as the knee heals. I have scheduled my first outpatient p t session on Monday. I prefer not to take painkillers in order to push my limits and plan to articulate my desire for a slow and gentle program rather than an aggressive one.

I had hoped to return to work by week four but my work is sedentary and since I can't sit comfortably I will have to delay. My patients have been kind but are starting to email me with requests to schedule appointments. I know self care is paramount right now but I do feel like I'm letting them down a bit.

I continue to need to take some Percocet during the day and at night. It takes the pain away for an hour or two and let's me sleep a little but my system is still extremely sluggish and I can't wait to be able to take Advil again ( Tylenol does not work for me).

So sorry for the long pity party post but this is the only outlet I have to express my worries and sometimes despair. I think that most of what I've said is par for the course and I need to keep my focus on the forest that healing is happening not the painful and frustrating trees. But if anyone has advice to share I would be grateful to hear from you.
 
Returning to work at week four is very ambitious. Did your OS suggest that time line? Mine right out told me 12 weeks, but I of course thought I could return to teaching at 8 weeks. Guess what? I returned to part time teaching at 12 weeks. But just to help you feel a bit better, my ROM continued to improve well into a year and at 2 years realized I could squat in a pool. In my opinion there is nothing easy about this recovery, patience is needed, fortitude, a strength of will and in my case, a great deal of faith. It is ok to feel defeated at times and when that's the case this is the place to come, but you are getting better little by little, day by day. Remember it hasn't been a month yet in this long recovery.
Week 4 was when I began to feel a bit better, after that complications arose so I can't compare my experience to anyone else's. I did a some cooking, cleaning and felt less pain. But hopefully next week you'll see a bit of a difference as well.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom