Banjaboy's recovery thread<

I can still make my right knee click on demand after 7 years but the left one (2015) has never done it. The simple explanation is that your nice soft cartilage that lined your joint has been replaced with metal and hard plastic. Thus if/when it separates and comes together again, it may make a click or clunk. That's all.
 
Thanks Jen, luck of the draw I suppose but looks really are only skin deep, just glad I'm in a bit less pain now


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I found an unloader brace of limited helpfulness.
 
Can you expand on that? What were the limitations you found?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Anyone care to comment on an unloader brace?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with that so I would be no help to you.
 
Same here as KarriB. I did wear an ankle brace when I fractured two places on my tibia in 2015.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The unloader did help stabilize the knee a bit and relieve some pain. But it didn't keep the knee from being painful. In some ways it bought a little time. Even though it was custom fit, it got uncomfortable after a few hours and didn't always want to stay in place.
 
I have a left medial unloader brace. It has helped me. I used it while training and walking in 2 half marathons. The thing I was told is that while unloading the medial compartment it can impinge on the nerve that goes down on the lateral (outside) portion of the knee. Depending on which side you are unloading, this might not be an issue, but you might want to use one part time for some daily activities. I have found that it helped for a few hours while being active. Last week my OS said that I should take it with on a trip to Patagonia in January.

I got mine with a prescription to a DMS that only does braces. They measure your leg and may have an off the shelf that fits. If I remember the cost was around US$1,000.

I did not find that wearing it was a problem.:santaclap:
 
Well exactly 6 months post op. Feel fantastic! No pain, no swelling, hardly a scar. Very lucky. Had my moments early on but we all do. Can't wait to get the right one done, 18 months wait! It will be worth it. Broke my foot at the moment but nothing to do with the knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For all new knee replacement folks on here, keep the faith, the pain will go, the swelling will go and you will have a new life ahead. More than worth those first few weeks of pain, discomfort, depression, had em all but well worth it


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Great post @banjaboy! Good luck with your new knee and new life. Not banjaboy , you should be Attaboy!
 
Awe, thank you so much, i watch the site regularly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[emoji106][emoji173][emoji7] I agree!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, im back! Left knee last August, right knee replaced last Tuesday. How am I doing? Hard to say, thought the second would be easier but I know the struggle ahead with pain, swelling, physio etc. Im quite low emotionally right now, not much ROM compared to the left. Of course no two knees are the same and im a year older. I dont have a lot of help this time so I feel this recovery will be a challenge. Anyway, your thoughts, opinions always welcome and appreciated. I know i will come out of this better but now, struggling[emoji26][emoji26]


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello @banjaboy - and :welome: back.
Please will you tell us the date of your second knee replacement, so we can add that to your signature? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Hi @banjaboy! Welcome back! You are so right that no two knees are the same. Your new knee might have been in worse shape than your first one. You were on it over a year longer. And it had to carry the load until the left knee was able to take over some of the work.
 
Hi there!!! Surgery date was Nov 14th. Yes, so true it did carry the load during left recovery. Today was a good day, as we all know, you do take it one day at a time. Tomorrow might not be a good one but the next one might. Just WISH I could put it in a comfortable position so I can sleep at night, the sleepless nights are the worst part of this
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was a side sleeper before surgery and was forced to become a back sleeper after so I could elevate my leg all night and I was shocked that I did adjust and I don’t think I’ll go back to side sleeping! I still elevate all night at 8 months post op. I hope you find a position soon that will work for you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom