Banjaboy's recovery thread<

80 at three weeks is not bad at all. Extension (straight) can often take a bit of time to get back to 0. As long as you don’t overdo it, being up and about a little more as the pain decreases will help your swelling to go down —keep icing and elevating as often as you can— and your bend to get better. Slow and steady wins the recovery. :santaclap:
 
Don't feel bad at all!!!! I'm only 67 at almost 6 weeks (I'm now measuring my post op date based from my 2nd surgery which was 10/31). As they say here... the knee decides when it's going to do what... and maybe this knee wants to go a little slower! :)
 
Had my first physio on Monday, bit disappointed, almost 3 weeks in and only 80 ROM 10 deg from straight, not as good as the left one but i will work at it
Your ROM at only 3 weeks is really good! Remember to never compare knees. Your newest knee had to take on all the work while your old new knee was healing, so it probably got in much worse shape than your old one.

You can't work to get better ROM. You have to get the swelling down and let it heal. But, working it too much can slow you down or even set you back.
 
I’m really torn to be honest. My surgeon tells me to work it, my physio tells me the same thing! Everyone here has a gentler approach, hard to know what is right and what is wrong. Swelling now, 6 weeks in is still bad. I feel once the swelling goes down I will get better ROM. Leg is straight now, that’s not an issues, it wasn’t before surgery and is now so I guess that’s progress. I have an ice machine and ice it liberally. Just wish I could get the swelling down!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Swelling now, 6 weeks in is still bad. I feel once the swelling goes down I will get better ROM. Leg is straight now, that’s not an issues, it wasn’t before surgery and is now so I guess that’s progress. I have an ice machine and ice it liberally. Just wish I could get the swelling down!!!
You are correct. Your ROM will increase as the swelling goes down. That can take several weeks, sometimes even months.

There's no point in doing lots of exercises, trying to convince your knee to bend, when it is stopped physically by the swelling. Exercising harder will only increase the swelling, so that's counter-productive.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Well, i guess im 81/2 weeks post op, 60 days? I go to my physio, same one I had with the left knee replacement last year. Its so hard getting the second done, trying to compare to the first. Some days I think im doing great, other days I feel Im doing bad. ROM approx 100 to 115 depending on the day. I do my set exercises twice a day on my none physio days. They do hurt, sometimes a lot but I recover quickly so feel im not over doing it. I again have pain in the back of my knee, swelling of course. I find my stationary bike is wonderful, i do my bed centred exercises first, then on the bike to loosen up for my ROM series, then ice and relax. I want more progress, quicker, typical male lol! Im 67, want to get well fast and move on. But now when i walk, no grinding pain each step, this swelling, surgery pain will go and I will soon walk with no pain at all.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you are doing very well with your recovery! You are being very active for your knee being so young, but as long as you aren't having extra pain or swelling, then go for it!
 
I do my set exercises twice a day on my none physio days. They do hurt, sometimes a lot but I recover quickly so feel im not over doing it.
Remember what we told you? If it hurts, don't do it.
Pain is a warning sign that you are doing too much for your knee.
If you do too much, your knee will get angry and it will swell more. That's counter-productive, because your knee can't bend while swelling is stopping it.
I again have pain in the back of my knee, swelling of course.
Cause = too much exercise
Effect = swelling
Cure = less exercise, and ice the back of your knee

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
I want more progress, quicker, typical male lol! Im 67, want to get well fast and move on.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year and there is nothing you can do to speed that up. If you try to force your knee to do too much, too soon, you could well slow down its recovery.
Recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

Your knee is going to recover on its own schedule, not on yours.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Summon up all the patience you can find - and some more! - and try to accept that allowing your knee to take the time it needs to recover is a wise investment in its future good performance.
 
Relax @banjaboy! Sounds like you're doing fine. That ROM is great. You know everyone here will tell you you're doing too much!
 
If your knee is hurting you’re doing too much with it. Cut back on anything that hurts and see wha happens with the pain and swelling. Your flex # is great, there’s really no need for those exercises that hurt.
 
You have a great attitude and your ROM is good. In fact, for your point in recovery, it’s great! You don’t really need to push it to get better. It will get better as a natural consequence of reducing your swelling —rest, icing, elevating— and keeping your activity steady by gentle for a little longer. The biking is great, just don’t overdo. How wonderful that walking no longer grinds! I did walking for knee rehab, rather than biking, and it continued to hurt for a while, maybe to three months, and then it became pain free. That was when I really started extending my walks. Your knee will tell you when it’s ready to conquer new activity levels.
 
9 week visit to surgeon 2 days ago, he is very pleased and says I am ahead of the left one at this stage of recovery, very hard to compare the second one,I was convinced I was further ahead with my left. Now I can legally drive again. Im staying with my daughter in her condo, no stairs but was very isolated without my wheels......Question folks.......How do you all feel about a heating pad on the joint? Pre and post exercises?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
A heating pad directly on your knee will probably cause it to swell. It's ok to use it on your thigh or your calf, but not your knee. Pre-surgerical exercises can be very beneficial. Very gentle exercises after surgery is OK, but not aggressive. They cause inflammation in an already traumatized knee which results in pain, swelling and decreased ROM.
 
I’ve used a heating pad on my left knee to relax it before exercise. I find it soothing and helpful. Heat is probably not a good idea early in recovery because it might increase swelling. My swelling went down quickly, so I found heat useful at around three months and it didn’t cause any problems.
 
Im finding a heat pad applied after my exercise bike segment of my daily workout really loosens up my knee for the range of motion segment. Im around 120 at 10 weeks, very happy so far. I place the pad on my calf and thigh and briefly behind my knee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Guess im about 12 weeks post op? Nov 14.......Physio twice a week and my homework physio every day. When I went to physio this Thursday I had 130 degrees and the leg was perfectly straight when she checked. her approach is between zero pain and hurting, a nice gentle balanced approach. Just hopefully a word of encouragement for those of you facing surgery or just out of the hospital. Any pain from physio is nothing compared to the bone on bone I had for too many years



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Excellent my friend.. you've done well. Wish I was there.. but with God's grace I will get there.
 
Your story inspires me, thanks for sharing!
 
Sounds really good!
I walked up then down 7 flights of stairs yesterday walking normally and not holding the bannister. Never thought i'd see the day!
 
Back
Top Bottom