TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate a compassionate word tonight. Does that sound weird to ask? Probably but id love to hear I'm going to be ok. It's sore and so stiff tonight and I haven't been sleeping.

I'm in the CPM ready to go to sleep god willing and I have my ice machine going.

Please pray for my sleep! Thank you :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Lauramacky you will be fine honestly. Its just that the early stage of recovery you're in at the moment is the worst time. I see you've already had an RTKR in 2012, so you've been through this before.

I've said this a dozen times now but the TKR process reminds me of childbirth. Oh my goodness it's painful but as the time goes by the memory of that awful pain dissolves into the distance. Six days into recovery is so challenging, particularly with sleep and pain issues.

I'm saying a prayer that you get well soon and have a successful, speedy and as painless as is possible recovery xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Lauramacky

This is one of the sometimes uncontrollable aspects of this recovery process, the up and down days and even hours of the day.

I am 32 days post-op and the downs days are getting fewer and further between - don't know if that is any help as you are laying there sore & stiff and worried about pain and sleep.

I have just sent a post to Nana Moon about eliminating all caffeine ( although I know that some of the pain meds do contain caffeine) from about 2 days before surgery and am still caffeine free. Could that because taking pain meds, it avoids the terrible caffeine withdrawal headaches.

:chillpill: :chillpill: Wishing you a better night and days ahead. It does get better and no one can predict how long each one of us with have these problems.

I find the 'life-line' in getting through this is the support on the BoneSmart site.

Hang in three and wrap yourself in the warm wishes that we all have for you.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Lauramacky

Sweetheart, you are going to be OK! :friends:

Remember how recovery seems to be two steps forward and one step back? You're having a one-step-back day. Tomorrow will be better.

Take those pain medications by the clock, lie back, rest even if sleep doesn't come. Sleep is difficult for most of us for quite a while, so just take little naps - they all add up to hours of sleep, just not continuous sleep.

If you like the CPM machine and you feel it helps, use it. If it hurts, or makes you feel uncomfortable, then don't use it. Whether you use it or not makes very little difference to your overall recovery. Just go with what feels best for your knee.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@marmora @Celle. Thank you SO MUCH for your words. I really needed them! I think I was so sleep deprived that I was getting down. I slept last night and set my alarm every four hours to take meds. Ahhh...I feel so much better today having slept!

Sometimes nothing is better medication than comforting words y'know? And I thank you again from the bottom of my fake knees!

My natural personality is to be upbeat so I'm glad to have that back today. Time to do my gentle heel slides, lol. I'll check back later. You guys are the best. Hugs!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana moon 27. Thank you...OMG I accidentally omitted you off my tagging. I appreciate your kind words. They really DO make a difference to me. I'll be checking back here in a bit for everyone's threads. Hubby has my breakfast lol.

Hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
In-home PT called to set up our schedule for the week. They're coming today at two. When I chatted with my therapist I was encouraged because she practically recited the Bonesmart mantra and said that now is not the time to rush or push things and that everything should be gentle right now. I loved hearing that!

I'm hungry now. I need my hubby to bring me my lunch lol. Talk about spoiled!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Laura!
Wow, a long time since I've been on here! Glad to hear you are doing so well so soon! Well jealous of the 90 ROM! 21 months since my original replacement & I can only achieve 100. Just to say keep up with the good work & you'll be running before you know it...even if you didn't do it before :heehee: Jaki x
Jaki so good to see your name again. Just like me a measley 100 bend but I'm resigned to it. My extension is excellent always has been. Seems not a lot of people get both bend and extension. Hope you and your family are well ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you've had a better day Laura. Keep it up. I got so fed up with day time tv but it does come in useful. Take advantage if being spoilt. Ut dosent last long. ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @robynhood :). Yum hubby made me some of his egg salad on a slice of olive bread with a thick slice of heirloom tomato on the side. It was delish!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky just noticed I hadn't gotten alerts to your thread, I am so sorry I wasn't there to give you a kind word yesterday! It will get better, as you know a lot of depression can come from lack of sleep. Sleep whenever you can. Hubby naps all the time. The body needs it to heal. Sometimes I think he naps because he is bored. Don't overdo it in PT. I hope you have a very restful night!
 
@tiredwife no worries! Thank you..,,im feeling more rested today.

My in home therapist came again today. This will be my regular one. The other day it was someone else and she had evidently incorrectly measured my ROM. So as of today which is 6 days post op, my ROM is 95 and 15. I guess the 15 is normal and I'm not surprised as extension is the hardest thing for me. She changed my dressing and watched me do my exercises. I feel good that she believes in the gentle approach.

Hubby took great care of me today and my shower seat arrived so I don't have to move the commode into the shower anymore. Great that my insurance pays for this. They don't pay for the CPM though. I had to pay $140 for a month. Even since my last TKR in 2012, insurance is covering less and less. Who knows what it will be in the future. I feel fortunate that I have a decent plan.

I hope everyone is doing well today!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky Hubby's OS doesn't use CPM. Don't worry about extension, hubby's was a 14 in the hospital, but is about a 4 now. It will come in it's own time! Your ROM is good. Because of the size of the bones they measure off of they can get up to a 5 degrees variance in their measurements. Take care of yourself and your knee.
 
@tiredwife I think I'm obsessed with these statistics lol. Okay I will relax about them. I have experience to draw from. Even my other knee straightened when I thought it never would .

Tonight I'm on my side in bed with the ice machine ll on. I'm going to try it tonight. I actually love sleeping in my back but it's getting old quick! Nite nite everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky
Side sleeping with the Cryo cuff is how I usually end up. Start with about 20-30 minutes with the three pillow elevation when first in bed and using IPad or reading.
Then take the 3 pillows out of the bed, and turn on to my side.

Usually wake at some point for pain med in the night and either renew the ice water in the Cryo Cuff or take it off completely and back on my side and sleep again ( I am at 33 days post-op).

Have a good Tuesday ,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora @tiredwife. Good morning! I slept really well last night. Whew! Oh what a difference that makes. I slept on my back again. I can rest on my side at only one week post op but extended periods of time would be hard right now. I'm happy I can even tolerate it for a half hour. I can tell in feeling better. Everything is just ever so much easier today. Hurray!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're right--you have experience to help you from getting too worried. You know deep down that it will all work out. But when you have those moments--you've got us in your corner.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom