TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora oh Ty! It's not actually new...just to bonesmart. It's my photography logo which I also use as a gravatar across the web. Thought I should use it here too. :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So why do I feel like I had barely anything done at PT? This is unlike the last PT I went to. I'm hoping I don't need to switch. I'm on ice now but I feel like I don't even need it lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I meant to journal here that when the PT measured my extension it wasn't as great as the in-home therapist. I kind of wondered about the in-home therapist measuring while I was in bed considering the soft surface

So yesterday I measured 15-20 before exercise and 10-15 after. Ugh! That was really depressing. But he did say thAt between therapists it can vary measurements by 5 degrees. Also my structure is not natural at zero either. My other leg got to zero but it's not there now. It's about 3. That's normal for me. Hoping the extension will come like it did last time and frankly me just typing that seems silly because I really know it will.

Struggling with my back though. OY!! It's really bad. There is literally no comfortable position at night. Hopefully it will subside.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky

Yes, it can be frustrating when different PTs or on your bed or PT treatment couch are different.

Extension is a big problem for me and am measuring at 8.

Sorry that you are having problems sleeping at night with your back problems.
Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Whatever the precise measurement you seem to be going in the right direction. :ok:
 
@kneeper

How are you doing nearly 3 months post-op ?

When did you or have you started driving and walking without canes, crutches or walker?

Three months on, what is the biggest improvement ?

Are you finally sleeping during the night?

I better stop, this is beginning to sound like, "Twenty Questions" or a cross examination in a courtroom.

Have a good weekend,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @marmora you can check my thread for all the gory details :wink: but yes, I am sleeping normally now. I'd say that started a few weeks ago. I'd say the biggest good things I've been noticing lately is that I'm walking very close to normally and I don't have the old patellofemoral pain doing stairs. Not to mention that the knee is stable. :yes!:
 
@kneeper
Will go to your forum now to catch up.

Find that when all of us are posting on each other's forums, I sometimes forget to go to the person's individual forum.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora it sure is! My back was bugging me again last night really badly but today it's better. I worked on my extension and bending today. My PT suggested I get on my recumbent bike and not do a full rotation but to go back and forth trying to get more bend. It's much easier on my back this way! Also he suggested I dump the strengthening exercises and just do ones that ficus on straightening and bending since my fibro exhausts me and was having trouble finishing all the exercises.. I think that's so smart! Strengthening can come later. It's more important that I bend and extend.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I awoke this morning feeling like I could bend my knee a bit better! Yesterday I did what the PT suggested. I dumped the exercises for strengthening and focused only on bending and straightening. I also hopped on the bike as he suggested and didn't make a full circle, but tried to use the pedals back and forth to work on my bend. Wow that works great! I accidentally went around once and had to hike up my hip but he suggested I not do that. It just slipped. lol

Anyway, I just finished my morning exercises and I'm on ice. I hope my back gets better soon. I remember this from last time. It's my walk. I have a sensitive back and if I'm not walking straight, it bugs me. I'm very hopeful about this knee replacement as it seems like it's moving along nicely.

My straightening is still in the toilet though. I took my heating pad today and put it on top of my knee and put my heel on a pillow and let it sit there. They do that at PT and it seemed to help. I think warming it up and then working on straightening helps!

Hope all is well with everyone. Today my hubby is taking me out for a short drive. I'm looking forward to it!
 
Great progress! I only did 3 things in my PT for my first knee. I cycled the way you are for ten minutes, walked on treadmill for ten minutes and went up and down one step 20 times. They also used heat before I started and ended with ice. I think your PT is super - just perfect for tkr.
 
@Jozilla thank you for the encouragement on my PT routine. Yours sounds good too! The steps are a good idea. Today I did all my exercises and hubby and I went to a bathroom showroom! I walked around and looked at vanities for awhile. Standing in one spot was harder but I did great! I'm exhausted now though. Sheesh! I can't believe how tired I am from that. So I'm awaiting my lunch served by my handsome hubby now and I have my legs elevated, I can't believe I did that successfully!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky

Hello Laura,

Great and busy day for you.
Home exercises and shopping and lunch served by a handsome man - doesn't get better than that.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Well obviously I overdid it yesterday by going to that bath showroom. I've been paying for it all day long. I could barely do my exercises today. My back is hurting again and it's so uncomfortable no matter how I try to sleep these days. I just got done having a huge crying episode. This really is for the birds.

Tomorrow I have PT in the morning. My straightening is just awful! I'm sure it's about a 15. I've be trying to straighten it throughout the day today because doing absolutely nothing isn't good either....at least I don't think.

I wish I wasn't so slow to heal and so emotional. I'm just tired of all these surgeries. Since 2006 I've had a neck surgery, an arthroscopy on my right knee, hip surgery, RTKR and now LTKR. When does it end? .

My hubby has been great but he doesn't know how to handle me when I get upset. Ugh. This is the part of my recovery that was hard last time. Now it's all coming back to me.

I pray every night that there is a purpose for my existence on this planet. I feel like all I do is recover or try to deal with my ailments.

Ok I guess I'm done ranting, I hope everyone else is doing well,


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, honey, I am sorry you are feeling blue. its such a tough job, healing, if for no other reason than that so much time is spent being a lump and waiting for improvement. If one is used to being active and productive it's easy to feel one doesn't have a purpose.

Look at it this way, if nothing else you are giving caregivers including your husband opportunities to justify THEIR existence and you're helping put surgeons' kids through college. And grad school. Heck, post-doctoral studies!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom