THR Ava in recovery

Good luck Ava and happy new year to you and your new hip Had mine on dec 7th

Good luck to you also. This is quite the recovery.

So sorry you overdid it, Ava, but it’s good to hear you’re bouncing back. Sadly it can take a couple weeks sometimes to turn around a stalled recovery after overdoing it. The good thing is you learned from your experience and we thank you for sharing it, with a warning to others who are following behind you. I hope you have a nice weekend and a good appointment on Tuesday. Let us know how it goes. :)
@Ava

Yes I will let you know. Today was the first day I woke with no pain. Took almost 2 weeks to get back to this place. Don’t want to do that again.

@Ava I saw your post in wiggle's thread about the ice machine. The trick to the ice machine is to use frozen water bottles. They last much longer than ice and you can keep rotating them. I had one for my knee but didn't have the right pad for my hip, in retrospect I wish I had looked to find one I could have used. I loved it because frozen water bottles would keep it cold for 3-4 hours and I would keep it on the whole time. Just an idea for you.

@Ava .... Please read the Personal Message I sent to you about a pilot program for hip replacement patients. I think it would be a benefit for you as the therapist works specifically with your gait to improve how you are walking.

Hi All - Had my 6 week appointment with my OS. He said everything looks great and come back in a year. He was surprised I was using the cane and he recommended taking Tylenol 3 times a day along with the meloxicam once a day. I told him I over did it at Christmas and was flat out for over a week.

I started the combo this morning and boy did it help with my walking and pain. I’m only using the cane when I start to limp. He said I was wobbling because of pain in the hip. He said the meloxicam and Tylenol is just as good as an opiate. He was right I’m not favoring the hip and it feels good to walk. But I will take it slow and steady. I also started out patient PT this week. I really like him a lot. He’s gentle and basically is only doing stretching. He noticed a big difference in my gait since the first visit. Not sure if it’s the Tylenol or if I’m getting my strength back. But I am pleased.

Sleeping isn’t great. I wake up every 2 hours needing to change positions. Feel very stiff and sore. I am sleeping on both my sides and back. The operated side I turn on when I’m still sleeping and that wakes me up when it gets sore. I am still icing and elevating as usual. I think I’ve become addicted to my gel packs.

I feel like I’m moving forward in my recovery but will be very careful with how much is too much. Do not want to have another relapse. Thanks to everyone for the support. Helped me out a lot xx

I am still icing and elevating as usual. I think I’ve become addicted to my gel packs.

I can relate, loved the ice pack! It seems you had a nice visit with your OS. Please do take it easy in PT and don’t do anything that hurts. Thanks for the positive update, it’s nice to hear from you.
A great rest of the week to you!

Ava I am glad to hear you’re doing better, I too still continue to take meds like Tylenol even though I’m not in a lot of pain and I feel like I’ve turned the corner but boy am I fragile!! Just because I can drive and walk in the house without a cane doesn’t mean I am anywhere near healed but we’re in that timeframe where we don’t know really where that line is as it’s unbelievably hard to cross!!!

Hi @2Kittens - yes I agree. The line is very blurred. Going to take some time. Seems we are on the same page with our recoveries. Keep in touch.

Just because I can drive and walk in the house without a cane doesn’t mean I am anywhere near healed but we’re in that timeframe where we don’t know really where that line is as it’s unbelievably hard to cross!!!

Even if that line seems hard to reach now, one day you will wake up and realize you passed it by and never noticed @2Kittens and @Ava. You are both on the right path, it's just a little longer road than we wish it was, but Oz waits at the other end!

Hello Ava,
How are you doing since we last heard from you? I hope you’re sleeping better and enjoying steady progress. It’s been two months since surgery, Happy Two Month Anniversary! We’d love to hear from you when you have time. :) Have a great week!
@Ava

Hi All -

Two months today. Unfortunately my back pain has come back full force. My back pain went away after surgery and I thought having the hip replaced did the trick. Different aches and pains here and there. Hope it gets better with time. I’m feeling like I did before surgery. Just taking it easy and waiting for the day I feel ok.

A lot of my aches and pains went away post op as I recovered and rested. It was like a miracle! Then I went back to doing the things I used to do and most came back and I invented a few new ones too. My back didn't take long to get to hurting pretty badly again. I did figure out one of my back problems was my sleeping position. I always had a tendency to roll past sleeping on my side so I was twisted some to sleep on my stomach. I went back to placing a pillow between my legs while on my side and it made me keep my legs bent and not toll further. It's worked well for me as far as back pain went.

Ava - just want to say thanks for posting your recovery journey here! I read every word of this thread. My surgery is scheduled for two weeks from today and reading about your recovery is helping me better understand what to expect - or rather, to not have any expectations - of myself during the process. I will definitely heed your and others' advice about taking it easy...easier than I think I need (which will be a challenge for me). Knowing that now will really help me mentally prepare for my recovery.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope despite your back pain you continue to heal and recover well!

Unfortunately my back pain has come back full force. My back pain went away after surgery and I thought having the hip replaced did the trick.

Thanks for updating, Ava. I‘m sorry you're dealing with pain. Back issues are no fun. Wondering what the condition of your other hip is? I‘m only asking because I dealt with a lot of back issues and found out after my THR that it was all hip related. Hope that’s not the case for you. Wishing you comfort and relief.

@Ava I can’t thank you enough for how detailed and thorough your updates have been. They really paint a clear picture of timeframe and pain management expectations. So grateful for your thread. My surgery is March 15th. I will continue to watch your thread for more updates. Thanks so much

Unfortunately my back pain has come back full force. My back pain went away after surgery and I thought having the hip replaced did the trick.

Thanks for updating, Ava. I‘m sorry you're dealing with pain. Back issues are no fun. Wondering what the condition of your other hip is? I‘m only asking because I dealt with a lot of back issues and found out after my THR that it was all hip related. Hope that’s not the case for you. Wishing you comfort and relief.

Thank you. My other hip being replaced in the future is pretty good. My OS said to wait because it doesn’t look that bad now. I also have arthritis in my lower back.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with arthritis in both your back and hip, causing you pain. You’re certainly in the right place for a sympathetic ear and an understanding of the pain you’re experiencing. You’re not alone. I hope you have some tried and true remedies to bring you the relief you deserve.
A peaceful weekend to you, Ava.
@Ava

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie