Guest viewing is limited

THR Ava in recovery

I was not ready at 10 days to stop pain meds after THR, and 14 days for TKR? Are they nuts? It was tough at 6 weeks after TKR to completely stop all pain meds even at night. In my opinion you should completely ignore that advice and push either your OS or your primary care to renew your prescription. You will know when you are ready to stop them. Stopping the PT will help with that.
 
@2Kittens - what about using crutches? I’m using crutches instead of the walker. It makes me feel more secure and less cumbersome than the walker. I then just use one crutch when I’m going short distances like to the bathroom and back to my chair. I would not feel secure enough at this point to use a cane. We will get there it’s not even 2 weeks yet. Good luck.
 
Wow, @Ava, I'm so sorry your surgeon is doing that. That's unbelievable. I'm shocked. Are you ok?
 
Last edited:
My PT came by today and she massaged the my hip and thigh area. It felt so good. She said I was very tight and she loosened up the fascia. I read the email from my Drs office to her and she told me she was going to call them about the pain meds and that I definitely cannot be without them at this time in my recovery.

Later in the day I got a call from them and they said they would call in a refill for me. Within 2 hours I had the pharmacy call telling me I had my refill waiting to be picked up. I’m so grateful she did that for me.
 
So glad you could get help to get your medication. Sounds like a great PT.
 
Hi everyone - 2week post op appointment today. Had X-rays and he checked my incision and removed a couple of stitches. Also had me walk up and down the hall and was very pleased with my gait. I’m using one crutch and getting around well with that.

He ordered an RX of meloxicam to be taken after dinner. I’m going to try my bed tonight instead of the recliner and see how that goes. All in all it was a good visit and I feel I’m improving with each day. Thanks for all the support xxx
 
:hi: @Ava
Awesome update, thanks for sharing. You’re on your way! :yes!:
I hope you have a peaceful evening and rest of the week.
Take good care!
 
:banana-santa: Awesome to hear things are progressing well @Ava, you gave yourself a great Christmas present, a pain free hip in your very near future! :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Your PT rocks! I loved meloxicam, but make sure you take it with a full meal. It works well with Tylenol. So happy you cleared that hurdle, @Ava
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ava
Hi All - just wanted to give an update. Today I’m 18 days post op. I haven’t taken oxy since Thursday and my pain is very manageable. Using meloxicam and Tylenol at night and getting pretty good sleep. Still icing and elevating pretty much all day. I’m still on one crutch and have taken a few steps without it but I’m limping and hunched over. I don’t want to create bad habits and it causes me pain. My gut tells me I shouldn’t be walking without the crutch yet. I did have a fever for 24 hours 99.9 up to 101.7 for 24 hours. I called the visiting nurse and she told me to take Tylenol and call later in the morning. Temp went back to normal and has been good since. Don’t know what that was about.

Hope everyone stays safe and Happy Holidays to all. xx
 
@Ava don't get rid of the crutch while you are still limping. When you start leaving the crutch behind it is a sign that you can start weaning off it. But for now, yes you don't want to get into bad habits.

Low grade fevers are very common post op. Glad everything is back to normal.
 
@Ava .... I'm glad to hear you're doing well since your surgery on December 2nd.

Perhaps you didn't see the Personal Message I sent you on December 10th. If you would, please take a look at it and let me know if you are interested in participating in a pilot program we have for recovering hip replacement patients. All the information about it is in the message. I'm hoping you'll join your fellow SuperNovas in this wonderful opportunity - no cost to you at all and you will receive a $50 Amazon card when you complete the pilot program.

To access your Personal Messages, click on the little envelope in the blue tool bar at the top right of your screen.

[Bonesmart.org] Ava in recovery
 
Last edited:
So ironic how PT is not very knowledable with joint replacement recovery. The PT told me don’t take pain meds on a schedule, do only when you need it. I’m taking every 4 hours and I’m keeping up with the pain. I didn’t do that with my knee and could never catch up with the pain. Thankfully my nurse at the hospital understood and she came in my room right on time. I didn’t even have to buzz her.

As a result I’m managing pretty well. Thank God for bone smart. So grateful.
Good luck with the new hip. I had my hip joint replaced at the end of June. The surgeon offered PT as an option. He gave me no restrictions and instructed me to move. It took a few weeks for the pain from tissue trauma to go away. The main issue I’m working on now is weakness. It’s coming along. I’m of the belief that it takes one year for full recovery. Maybe a bit longer for some. I’m very pleased with the result and I’m only 5 months out. I opted out of PT. Instead I walked and did the exercises provided by the clinic. While I couldn’t do all, I did most. I’m of the opinion that walking is the best form of PT. Let the body heal naturally. Good luck on your journey.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks
 
Hi All - I feel I was doing very well until yesterday. I’m having sharp zings and pain in my groin /hip area. I was walking very well with my cane - good gait no pain it felt normal. Now I’m not able to walk at all with a good gait. I’m doing an ugly walk lol. I have not overdone anything. Actually I’m not doing much. Do you think this maybe healing pain? Or 2 steps forward one step back? Frustrating cause I thought I was really making excellent progress.
 
This recovery is definitely not a straight line @Ava, you can have many ups and downs along the way. Even though you don't feel like you did too much it might be worth revisiting the THR activity guidelines. You are at the stage where it's really easy to over do. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. In the mean time ice and elevate! :ice:

 
@Ava zips and zaps can usually be chalked up to nerves waking up and renewing. They're usually pretty mad at us for letting the surgeon manipulate us! :snork:

agree with FCBayern that you may have unknowingly over did it. It's such a fine line we walk in this recovery. We've all done some version of the ugly walk. Try taking smaller, slower steps than you would normally do. Also try heel toe walking, really concentrate on it. Strike with your heel, roll through the foot and push off with the toe. When I explained it to a young friend who is recovering she said, oh, like band! Immediately had me thinking of those silly American ____ movies where they talked about band camp. :rotfl:
 
I’m doing an ugly walk lol.
Just no ugly crying:bawl:with that ugly walk or we’ll really have a problem on our hands, lol. Just kidding...we’re with you through thick or thin.

Check this little scribble out. It puts it all in perspective -

[Bonesmart.org] Ava in recovery

Try some rest and icing:ice: and I bet you’ll feel better soon.
Wishing you comfort and a blessed 2021!
 
@Ava What ^^^^ they said! Replacing a hip joint means also realigning your whole body! I know I had odd twinges, aches, and some times really weird sensations both close to the hips and also in areas quite distant from them. Think about ALL activities you do during the day not just walking. When you are at the computer or on your phone do you tend to shift your weight over to the more comfortable side? You might be inadvertently putting strain on the still healing areas. Particularly if you're sitting on a hard seated chair it may help if you put a pillow or soft cushion there. Of course if sensations persist or get really painful do check with your surgeon .... chances are, though, those feeling are transitory and normal

Other questio: Did you get new shoes just prior to this surgery or are you wearing shoes that were worn a lot before surgery? Look at the bottoms of shoes you wear most and if there is a lot of wear to soles and heels .... get new or have soles & heels replaced. The old wear pattern on shoes can keep you walking in the old limping patterns!
 
Thanks everyone for responding. Today is 4 weeks post op. I’ve taken some steps backwards and having a lot of pain. I finished up at home PT today and felt awful. Last time she was here I was walking without any assistance and feeling no pain. She massaged the areas that were painful today and told me I should be stretching more. I’m so confused as to wether I should be stretching and walking or just icing and elevating till I feel better. I don’t know if I’m making it worse by not doing anything. I have taking it easy past 3 days and not feeling any better. What’s a girl to do?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom