THR Ava in recovery

Today is awful. I was up all night. My whole body feels like I’ve been through the wringer. Everything is sore - arms, legs, ankles, etc. I’m told I should be weaning off my pain meds now. I have 2 left and I’m trying to save them for pt which starts Wednesday.

I don’t understand why it’s such a problem having pain meds prescribed after major surgery. I’m doing all I can to stay in the moment. How the hell do they know how I should feel it’s my body. Thanks for letting me vent. I’m so angry because I was doing so well.
 
Ava, hate to hear you're having a pain setback it seems and especially since they're trying to wean you off of pain meds already. You're not even 1 week out of surgery yet!

Sounds as if you're icing/elevating/resting/elevating as you should. Since you mentioned doing some light duty kitchen cleaning yesterday, I wonder if your body is rebelling due to using those already over traumatized muscles. (I can say this from experience over just picking fresh garden green beans on a trellis 3 weeks after TKR. Boy, did I pay for that!)

My suggestion would be to call your OS's staff and to ask their suggestion for a different pain med approach. The last thing you need to worry about is holding out your last pain meds for PT on Wednesday.
 
@Ava I agree with Sunnytimesahead.
I certainly wasn't off of my pain meds one week post op... But the doctor's office had me request them one week at a time and referred them accordingly with my insurance.
Please see if they will extend your prescription. You won't know until you ask.
I actually transitioned to a tramadol/Tylenol combo after 2 weeks which also worked well.
The opiate crisis has definitely made things harder on folks....
 
Last edited:
Pain meds are regulated by states and some pharmacies as far as how many are allowed per prescription. My OS prescribed more than the pharmacy would fill in one prescription. Staying ahead of the pain is important and makes the recovery much more bearable. As Sunnyside said it sounds like a possibility you felt too good and crossed the over do line. This recovery is strange in the way it bites you the day after you do something. It's so hard to judge when enough is enough and it's usually too late, but you still feel good until the next day. I can tell you that if you do until you realize you did too much it's really bad and takes a while to come back from it.
 
Definitely call the OS office @Ava and be firm with them if necessary, weaning off pain meds at 5 days is ridiculous.
 
I stayed on my pain meds for over a month. Because of regulations, I had to call and request a refill every 5 days. I felt so ashamed that I still had pain and was worried I would get flagged in the system for "drug seeking behavior." I tried several times to back off the meds or hold some back for a rainy day and the pain would come roaring back. I worried that the next time I called they would cut me off. It was so stressful! Then, it finally started to subside and I was ok with just Tylenol and ice. It took a while, though. You shouldn't have to go through this recovery with so much pain. I hope your doctor can make some changes and I hope your pain subsides.
 
I had a similar experience with my knee. At 6 weeks weaning off pain meds was tough, it still hurt! With my hip I made the shift to Tylenol at two weeks, no way I was ready before then.
 
Thanks everyone. Today seems a little better. Just showered now icing and elevating. Called my OS 3 times in 24 hours no response at all.

I’m lucky to have had my surgery on 12/2. They are canceling elective surgeries this Friday. Maybe he’s to busy to respond to me because of this. I feel so bad for all who have been waiting. I’m taking the gratitude road today. Peace and good health to all at bone smart and a huge thank you for listening to me complain. I promise to pay it back when I’m well.
 
Called my OS 3 times in 24 hours no response at all.

Well that’s certainly unfortunate, especially if you’ve left a message. Hopefully you hear from them soon and get the attention you need and deserve so you’re comfortable.

Since today seems a bit better and you‘ve been resting and icing, possibly it was the activity you engaged in over the weekend. Please consider holding off on PT tomorrow if you’re in pain. Certainly do no let them push you to do anything that causes you pain or discomfort. While its a personal choice, PT isn’t necessary at this early date anyway. Here’s the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines. Not a reprimand, just a reminder in case you’re not feeling up to it.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hope today is a good one! :)
 
@Layla - I agree with your thoughts on PT. Thanks for backing me up. I’m getting flack from people “Oh don’t you think it will be better if your doing PT”. My reply “When was the last time you had a joint replacement?”

Thank the universe for bone smart for making me bone smart. Lol
 
My reply “When was the last time you had a joint replacement?”

Good to hear. Your life, your body, your recovery...your way! :ok:
 
Heard from my Dr and he called in a refill for me this morning. It was the pharmacy that didn’t alert me that I had a prescription waiting. I called them 4x and told me “no refill called in” I feel better that my Dr did respond.

I feel bad for all medical providers with the Covid. So much stress for everyone. Lots of drooped balls. You have to be follow up more than once. It’s so different now. So sad.
 
Good to hear you got your prescription refilled @Ava, your body will let you know when you can start taking less, for now the pain meds help you walk a little every hour or so, all you need to do besides icing and a good diet, let your body run in full healing mode.
 
Yay! Glad you got your refill.
Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:
 
@2Kittens, we had surgery same date same time (12/2) 3:30pm. Last night was brutal for me. Worst so far. I woke up at 3:00am in the worst pain yet. The PT came by yesterday and I just showed her what I’m doing for exercises which is not much. She showed me a few stretching exercises I could do in bed. She understood that I’m not a fan of PT and did not push me so not sure why I was I in so much pain. I had to take 2 pain pills to stop sobbing.

I’m with you in feeling why I’m not getting better but worse. Maybe someone will give us some answers.
 
Ava, sweetie...you’re only 8 days removed from major surgery. I’m sorry you’re struggling. It is normal to have some ups and downs. If you watched a video of the surgery, you’d understand. Why don’t you consider stopping the exercises and step away from PT, at least until you get the pain under better control for a length of time.

You’ve mentioned that you’re icing constantly. Are you still? Ice for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice and do this several times per day, or anytime you’re laying down, sitting watching tv etc. Have an ice pack ready to grab / use in the overnight if you’re waking in such pain. Some have used a cooler bedside, or in the bathroom to grab an ice pack in the night on a bathroom run. Also, take the pain pills as prescribed, now is when you need them. If you run out...you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Wishing you comfort and brighter days. :SUNsmile:
@Ava
 
@Layla thank you for your comments. I am doing all of the above. I feel like a big baby complaining etc. thanks to everyone who understands and let me vent. Love and gratitude to all
 
I just received this email this morning from my Drs office.

How Long on Pain Meds?

If you’ve had a hip replacement, your surgeon would like you completely off narcotics ten days after surgery. If you’ve had a knee replacement, your surgeon would like you completely off narcotics fourteen days after surgery.

Learn more about transitioning from prescription to over-the-counter pain meds.

The Importance of PT

Physical therapy (PT) is crucial to the success of your joint replacement. Keep following the PT regimen you were given.

Hip exercises to assist with prescribed post-surgery rehabilitation
Knee exercises to assist with prescribed post-surgery rehabilitation
It typically takes about 3-5 months for patients to achieve desired results with pain, range of motion and overall function.

Remember, everyone is different, and recovery can take longer for some.

I am no way ready to transition to Tylenol yet and 10 days is tomorrow for me. I have PT on Monday and see my Dr’s PA on Wednesday.
I can’t believe they can just stop your pain meds after 10 days post surgery. I cannot sleep at night with just Tylenol it hurts like heck. I’m only getting about 3 hours as it is with pain meds. During the day I can handle the pain with constant icing.
I am freaking out. This is just wrong. I’m hoping this is a generic email sent to all his patients before the first post-op visit. My refill will last me until Sunday. YIKES
 
I am not sure how your surgeon came up with all this but frankly it's rubbish. There is no timeline for any recovery. To say your pain levels will be low enough to just drop your medication at 10 days is just wrong. And where did the 3-5 months come from. This recovery can take 12 months or more!

Can you contact your PCP and see if they can help you?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom