Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray!

Not much to say, just Wow! That is sounding fantastic, long may it continue. I would say have a great recovery day but it sounds like you already are

Enjoy, have fun and keep healing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!

Not much to say, just Wow! That is sounding fantastic, long may it continue. I would say have a great recovery day but it sounds like you already are

Enjoy, have fun and keep healing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi Andy! You're so sweet. Thank you. I hope you are also healing well. Thanks for posting, and take care of yourself.
 
Last night was my second night off the pain meds. I only woke up once, at 2:30 a.m. I was able to go right back to sleep. Got up at 5:30 a.m. and needed to ice. It worked really well, and I took a motrin. Made coffee, lit my new beautiful candle with three wicks, and wrote in my journal.

As I was journaling, I realized that I wanted to do all sorts of things. My energy was buzzing. Should I go swimming, hiking, or to my knitting group this afternoon? This feeling is new to me. Earlier in my recovery I felt more comfortable staying home and nesting. I decided on the hike, since the dogs really need a good run. I was surprised at how easy it was to get in the car. I don't have to sit sideways anymore, I can just climb in, facing forward. (It's becoming automatic again.) Wow! I was also able to kneel down and tie the laces on my hiking boots! Incredible. (I haven't been able to tie or buckle a shoe for the last year or two.) I can also sit on my heels. I haven't done it for very long, but am pretty amazed by it.

The dogs were out of control in the car. They were so excited to be going and they kept barking and whining. Once we got there, they bolted on to the hiking trail and I followed. I decided not to go very far. I've learned to just do a fraction of what I feel I can do with these new hips. I felt really comfortable walking. This was my first time uphill, and it was fine. The new joints fee well lubricated and smooth. I haven't felt this kind of ease in my gait in years. It's really miraculous.

I came home and iced and elevated. I'm starting to get the sensation that these are my real hips, not implants. It's a great feeling. They felt so foreign in the early stages after the surgery. Now it's as if they are blending in with the muscles and bones. It blows my mind. I'm starting to understand how people are able to return to sports and dance after having this surgery. I want to give everything ample time, though. I haven't done much exercise...my focus has been on household tasks. That's been working for me. It's very mental. The more I'm able to do, the more confident I feel. Psychologically, having a clean and tidy house, being able to drive, walk the dogs, and make meals is so exciting. I feel like a child who has just learned to tie their shoes. Each day I have more accomplishments that help me not feel like my old self.

I cooked and seasoned the hamburger I had defrosted and made tacos for lunch. I sat out on the porch and enjoyed the shade and fresh air. I'm going to drive to my knitting group this afternoon. I probably will only stay for an hour. I'll do a little icing and elevating first. It's been over six hours since I took the motrin, and I don't have any pain. I think I'll take one anyway, just in case.

I don't go back to see my surgeon until Oct. 5th. I'm amazed at the improvement in such a short time. I hope everyone else in healing and taking care of themselves. Till next time...
 
Wow! I am so happy for you @Hip Hip Hooray! It's very encouraging to hear your successful recovery. I love hearing the little things you can do again that I would be so happy to do again some day like getting in the car from the side rather than butt end first and kneeling down to tie a shoelace. :wowspring:I hope your recovery continues to be smooth an successful! Have a great week.
 
@PegGene, Thank you so much! I am really starting to see how the principles of working the basics and consistent repetition are applying to my recovery. I always believed in these things as a dancer and dance/yoga teacher. (to me, you make much faster and safer progress with a good, solid foundation.) I think it really has to do with the automatic nervous system. We don't have to analyze the movement anymore, we just do it...(like brushing our teeth, or going out to get the mail.) There's something about being able to do these basic household tasks yourself that that seems to accelerate the healing process. I don't fully understand it, but I'm noticing it each day. It gives us a quiet sense of accomplishment and increasing independence.

I do the same with the PT. I am still doing the basic exercises I received in the hospital. I will continue these because they don't cause me any strain. They are mending the muscles, ligaments, and connective tissue at a VERY rapid rate. I can feel it.

I hope you are able to get in a car fluidly and easily tie your shoelaces very soon. I guess part of me thought I would never be able to do those things again. I am so happily surprised. Time to catch up on your recovery thread. All the Best to you...
 
@hip hip hooray thanks for sharing your story, it is so inspiring to read the recovery threads, thank you.

Thank you @Plum Perfect. This forum was a Godsend to me, (especially before my surgery.) I'm hoping to give some of that back by chronicling my journey. I'll have to look up your thread. Wishing you the Best!!!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Love your post about taking your dogs for a romp :doggie: It is a wonderful feeling to find things you can do now that you could not do before, isn't it? As I was making such discoveries after my BTHR I'd get the giggles - my housemate came upon me in one such happy session and wanted to know what the joke was ..... so I showed him how I could then squat and pick up 22lb feline :kittymilk:. He didn't quite get it .... but was glad I was happy.

And yes the hips are totally mine now - and we all get along very well :snork:
 
@djklaugh, That's great news. I'm glad to hear you are so happy with your hips. Another bilateral hippie! I'll have to read about your experience. Yes, it's very exciting to be able to do things like pick up your animals again. I'm also thrilled with how much easier it is to walk now.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it.
 
Yesterday I went back to the gym for the first time and swam. I took it very slowly. I only did about fifteen minutes total of breast stroke and elementary backstroke. I spent about a half hour in the jacuzzi and relaxed in the sauna. People there who know me were shocked when I told them I already had the surgery. They saw me limping for the past year, and now they said they can't believe the difference. It's very comfortable and easy to walk, unassisted. The swimming felt fine, too. I had a sensation like there were weights in my upper thighs when I was swimming on my back. It's kind of bizarre. A few of the ladies in the Aqua Fit class have also had joint replacements. They were very happy and excited for me, and giving me thumb's up sign. It was fun to see everyone again. It's such a nice group of people there.

I slept well last night, but did wake up at 2:00 a.m. feeling like I needed to ice. I still seem to respond to heat with a delayed reaction of inflammation late at night. (I had also taken a hot bath before bed.) The ice did the trick. I have been taking one Motrin in the morning and evening, and that's all. Because of the aching, I took one at 2:00 a.m. Went right back to sleep, and got up at 7:30 a.m.

Today I was able to wear a pair of boots with a heel to my knitting group. I'm able to step right into my car now. It feels very natural. I'm going to do the basic PT exercises today and my usual short walk with my dogs. My approach with exercise has been to do a fraction of what I think I can do. It's working. Yesterday I was able to kneel down and pick up the dog poop. I did push on my German shepherd's back as I was standing up.

This morning I did feel tired. I'm going to take it easy the rest of the day. I plan to ice and elevate. We had a much needed rain last night. The garden looks happy, and that means I don't have to water! Mother Nature took care of it for me. Hope all is well with everyone else on the forum...
 
Today was my first day back using machines at the gym. I was cautious. I didn't use any of the leg machines, except the one for the outer thigh muscles. I tried the stair master on the slowest setting, and was surprised at how great it felt! I don't have any stairs at home, so this was new for me. I thought it would be difficult, but I had no problem. I just did three mins. I normally do 8-10 mins. on the 9 setting. I could have done more, but I want to wait and see how my body reacts. I'll rebuild my time and speed gradually. I concentrated on working the upper body and abs. It was so great to be working out again. I just did a half hour. ( I usually spend an hour.) Saw some of the regulars in the jaccuzzi and caught up with them. Everyone was really positive and encouraging.

I did a little bit of dancing in my living room, and felt good. Nothing technical, just moving to some big band music. "In The Mood", etc. Last night I did some gentle yoga. It felt very healing and relaxing. I did the easiest poses, and didn't push.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a house for sale down the street. It would make a great rental property. I think that would be a healthy source of income, now that I've replaced my hips. I get very energized thinking about it.
 
@hip hip hooray I'm really enjoying reading your updates, so positive and driven they are a definitive pleasure. Even better from my perspective is that it feels like I'm only a step behind you with just starting my gym work properly and tai chi in the front room. Sadly no jacuzzi but funnily enough we are talking about one for the back garden.

Have fun and keep the fantastic recovery going.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@hip hip hooray, I love reading your updates and can't even imagine when I will be able to squat, etc., but your are an inspiration! I'm trying to envision your dog trails-I used to take my dog up in the hills near College of the Canyons but I think that's all built up now into parking lots. It used to be so beautiful there. Keep posting, you and @AndyH99 and so many others here are an inspiration to me (especially when I get discouraged that I can only do
50% weight bearing which holds me back a bit).
 
@AndyH99, So glad to hear you are returning to the gym and doing tai chi in your living room. It's amazing what we can do in our homes. I've done hours and hours of yoga and meditation in mine. It sure saves money on studio rental. Glad to hear you may be putting in a jacuzzi, too. I just took a bath in epsom salts. Ahh...very therapeutic.

Let me know how it goes. I feel like the body really responds well to routine and getting back to activities that we once enjoyed. (Well, in moderation...)
 
@hip hip hooray, I love reading your updates and can't even imagine when I will be able to squat, etc., but your are an inspiration! I'm trying to envision your dog trails-I used to take my dog up in the hills near College of the Canyons but I think that's all built up now into parking lots. It used to be so beautiful there. Keep posting, you and @AndyH99 and so many others here are an inspiration to me (especially when I get discouraged that I can only do
50% weight bearing which holds me back a bit).


Hi @LaylaHips, Oh, it's beautiful there. I was actually at the Pacific Crest Trail, at Mint Canyon. We only walked from the sidewalk up to the trail head, to be honest. I wasn't sure how my hips would respond. I took it easy, just to be safe. I've got a new pair of hiking boots, so I'm hoping to go more often. The dogs love it, and so do I.

If you are not supposed to put weight on your leg, than you have to take the time. The fact that I was allowed to made me move off of the walker very quickly. I didn't expect that. I think it's better to be cautious and not rush. Different surgeons have different viewpoints on it. I'm sure your doctor has his reasons.

Today I was talking with my neighbor about muscle soreness. She's a horse vet. She's the one who suggested I get an xray, because she noticed that I was limping when I was walking my dogs. She said that before my surgery I had a real sway back and was doing what she calls a "hula walk". I did. I couldn't correct it, and I was bent forward at the upper body. At my consultation Dr. Matta told me that after the surgery I wouldn't be bent forward anymore. He lowered his voice when he told me that, (in the hallway,) which I thought was very nice. I laughed and answered, "I know." My neighbor said that she thought it was interesting, because the horses do the same thing. It's funny how our bodies adapt. I couldn't really feel it, but I could see it in the mirror. My bum has been sore now that I'm properly aligned. I'm using the correct muscles again. It's a good sore, like from a workout. After soaking in the tub this morning, I put an icepack under each cheek. The soreness is gone now.

I felt kind of sleepy today, so I stayed home. I made some artichokes simmered in homemade Italian salad dressing and lime juice. They came out really well. Such a treat! I'm crocheting a set of pot holders for my neighbor. She's having back surgery next Monday, so I want to get these done. I'll give her a bar of homemade soap, too.

The other day I dropped off the crutches (which I never used,) and the walker that I bought at the Salvation Army. It feels good to donate them. I've been paying my bills as they come in from the surgery. I'm curious how much the rest of you paid for yours? I budgeted $20,000. Dr. Matta charges $6,500. per hip, and I estimated the rest. So far that looks about right. It all depends upon how much Blue Shield reimburses me for the surgeon. Dr. Matta said they will pay anywhere from $1,000. to the entire amount. We'll see. It was definitely money well spent!
 
Hello @Hip Hip Hooray! And thank you for the wonderful journaling you have been doing here on your post-op recovery. You are a testament to being healthy, mind and body, and to listening to your body. I was curious about this:

I can pull my tailbone down and lift my abs. Before the surgery, I was locked in a sway backed position. So, I think my muscles are adjusting to this correction. I'm really happy with my post op gait. It feels smooth, relaxed, and graceful. I really struggled with walking in the past year or so.

Did you have to talk to Matta specifically about your overall body mal-alignment pre-op? Or does a good surgeon just know and correct this? Or is it automatically corrected via THR? I have swayback and my legs seem to be collapsing the opposite way of you (inward) as the years drag on. I think both are exacerbating pain in my knee and most recently in my back. I literally cannot stand straight (with a tailbone tucked in, abs in) to save my life! I bend forward, like you are stating. (I'm 41 years old, and active as you are, but not in dance -- in tennis)

I'll be sure to talk to my surgeon about this pre-op regardless. One of my worries is that the hip will be replaced but I'll still have this whole swayback, knee knocking thing going on...do I have hope that my entire body will align post-op?
 
Hi @sandiegomom, Thank you for your kind words. I know Dr. Matta and his assistant carefully studied my gait. I asked him about how bow legged I had become, and he told me that it was because the balls in the hip socket had shifted outward. I believe the femurs moved, too. I could feel that happening at night. I had to sleep with a pillow between my knees. I developed so much space between my legs. My inner thigh muscles seemed to disappear. Now everything is corrected. I can easily get my knees together, and I think I'll be able to cross my legs again. (that was impossible in the past few years.)

I can't speak for other surgeons, but Dr. Matta put my pelvis back in alignment. Before the surgery, when I laid on my stomach, my right hip bone was on the floor, and the left one was in the air. I couldn't correct it. If I was on my back, my left hip flexor would grab, like a claw. I corrected it as much as I could with using the machines at the gym. I had still reached the stage of deformity, though. Now everything looks and feels exactly right. I didn't discuss the details with him. It just happened once my hips were replaced. I could tell by his comments that he has xray vision.

I hope you have the same results. I've seen what you are describing in one of the professional dancers I know. Her knee is collapsing inward. It looks like it's about to go. The best advice I received was not to wait to do the surgery. I think the longer you limp, the more ingrained that pattern becomes. I took the next available appt. with Dr. Matta, which was about a month from my initial consultation. I still need to retrain my lower body, because of the years of compensation. The hip flexors are tight, and the turn out muscles are gone. Just walking is doing a lot of good. It's incredible how important the pelvis is to our health and well being.

I wish you the best. Please keep me posted on how you are doing.
 
@hip hip hooray, your OS sounds great. I really wanted a gait study because I have a leg length discrepancy due to a bad left knee, which has caused the leg to bow from the knee down (and I think ultimately caused the wear and tear on my right hip).
I love veterinarians! Both of my sisters have horses and have worked for/with vets (one has a pre-vet degree from UC-Davis). They always get great info years before it's available to humans! Good for your neighbor to have such good observation skills so that she can help you with proper alignment. Also, my sister told me yesterday that horses have a similar metabolism so many meds are used the same for people and humans. My step daughter is engaged to a vet so now we will have one in our family!
This is my favorite time of year in the SC Valley. My son worked at Lombardi Ranch when he was a teen, and I used to be in your area all the time doing home visits with clients. Enjoy your hikes (I've never been to Mint Canyon, we usually hiked up Bouquet Canyon area). So beautiful!!
 
Hi @LaylaHips, Yes, he is excellent. I've seen what you're describing with the knee and the bowed leg. My grandmother's legs were shaped like sideways u's as she aged. I've never seen such a bad case. They were bent like spoons. She eventually had both knees replaced, and her legs looked SO much better. She said that the Aqua classes are what helped her the most, after surgery.

It's pretty hot here today. Once the weather starts to get cooler, I'll do some more hiking. For now, just walking the dogs a short distance feels like plenty. It's making my bum really sore. I think all of those muscles in the back have been asleep for a long time. They've got to redevelop. I'm still doing the basic PT exercises I learned in the hospital. Last night I did a very simple set of Kundalini Yoga. I adapted the seated cross legged positions to sitting in a chair.

Yesterday I felt kind of fatigued, so I took it easy. I remembered what I had read here about the "one month slump". I just did the basics: some laundry, meal prep, crocheting, and put clean sheets on the bed. My neighbor that was so helpful during and after my surgery called me last night. (I had been thinking about her, and felt like something bad had happened, and that she needed my help.) I asked her if she was okay, and she told me that her husband had been killed in a motorcycle accident on Monday. It was such a shock. He rode his bike to work every morning. She said that he ran a red light and hit the side of a truck. It was raining. Very sad. So, now it is my turn to help her. I'm taking her to Costco this afternoon. Life is fragile.

Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I too enjoy reading your posts, it's just like reading a book. You are doing great, how wonderful is that. Your digs must love being able to go for a walk with you.

What an awful thing to happen to your neighbour. I used to ride motorcycles around Europe mainly, I was always petrified of being knocked off, you are so vulnerable on a bike. I have not riden now for about 7 years.

I do hope she will be ok and its lovely that you are going to be there to help her.

Have a good night.

Xx
 
Back
Top Bottom