Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi again HHH! I guess it's too soon to know what portion will be covered by your insurance?
I will go back and re read your progression for those first couple of weeks. I think I am ready to venture out and do little trips to here and there.. :thumb:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I loved reading your post, so inspiring. I am on day 3 post OP, just took my first shower and am now back in bed with ice. Your increased energy excites me, I think the loss of energy comes over us slowly and by the time we realize what is happening we have really deteriorated. Now when I see people with a walker or cane I wonder if they are pre OP or post OP, I wonder how many people are unaware of the help that is available. I ccertainly didn't find out from a doctor, I found out from a women I met in Oregon when I was showing my dog. If that had not happened no telling where I would be today. Keep up your successful recovery and sharing with us.
 
Hi again HHH! I guess it's too soon to know what portion will be covered by your insurance?
I will go back and re read your progression for those first couple of weeks. I think I am ready to venture out and do little trips to here and there.. :thumb:

Hi @CricketHip, I don't know. I'm not sure how it works, since I paid Dr. Matta cash for the hips surgery. I've paid all of the hospital bills, and everything came to about $21,000. I'm going to email his asst. who handles the health insurance and ask him. I haven't received a check, if that's how they do it.
 
@Plum Perfect, Glad to hear you had your first shower. I remember how much better I felt after mine. I took extra showers during my recovery. Something about a cold shower at night really helped me to feel clean and comfortable. It was a hot summer.

Today I had my post op visit with Dr. Matta. They took lots of xrays. He is such a kind man. I really lucked out. He's very patient and sensitive, and he looks you right in the eye. I asked him for a copy of my xrays to show my neighbor, the horse vet. (She was the one who initially suggested I at least get an xray.) It's amazing to see the difference in the two pictures. He was happy to give them to me, and answered all of my questions. I'm not sure what any of this means, but he wrote down for me what kind of hips I have: The brand is De Puy. I have Corail stems, and Pinnacle cups. He said they are a ceramic ball heads and crosslinked poyethylene cup liners. I don't know if I spelled everything exactly right. I don't really know the difference, but I trust his judgement. He asked me how I was walking, and I told him that I feel thirty years younger. My gait feels excellent. He studied the xrays and said that my hips look really good. I showed him that I have newfound excellent internal rotation, and less external rotation. I asked if the external rotation would improve, and he said it would. That's how it feels, like it needs more time. I asked if I could tap dance and jump, and he said that I could. He said he would wait and work gradually when I questioned him about doing the splits. I don't plan on doing those again, but was just curious. He said that the tissue still needs to heal, and that even though the risk of dislocation with the anterior technique is far less, it could could happen if I were to push too far. That was my hit on it, too.

He told me that it was nice to see someone so happy. I really am thrilled with the results. My next appt. is Aug. 18th, 2016! I'm going to switch back to my old health insurance, since it's much less expensive. I'll pay him cash for the visit next year. He said that they don't do that much at that appt. and that it shouldn't cost a lot. He's really understanding that way.

So, it's time to do my PT, and get a little rest. I need to apply for some more jobs on line, since I basically drained my emergency fund. But, this certainly was an emergency. I wasn't able to stop at the dance studio to see my friends, because the follow up appt. took longer than I expected. He is a very busy surgeon. No wonder. Now I hope I can get my career back on track, like his!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@hip hip hooray, I love this journal of your recovery and your descriptions of your daily activities-you should write a book! (I especially love the food-prep descriptions). Have a great weekend!

Thanks @LaylaHips. I used to write dance and yoga articles for teachers. I would love to write more about hip replacements. I think there's a need for personal info. It's such an emotional decision!
 
Great results @Hip Hip Hooray! Wonderful to read your report. I have the identical prosthesis, I'm sure because my OS learned from Dr. Matta. I am Day 5 post OP today and my recovery (so far) has been great. Congratulations on your 'graduation', please check in and let us know about your continued recovery. I'm so happy for you.
 
Hi @CricketHip, I don't know. I'm not sure how it works, since I paid Dr. Matta cash for the hips surgery. I've paid all of the hospital bills, and everything came to about $21,000. I'm going to email his asst. who handles the health insurance and ask him. I haven't received a check, if that's how they do it.

@CricketHip, I heard back from Dr. Matta's assistant. He said that I will receive a check from Blue Shield. I'm hoping it's a big one! I'll let you now the amount once it arrives.

@Plum Perfect, We are twins...well triplets, since I have two ceramic hips. I'm glad to hear your recovery has been great. We are very fortunate. Today I was talking with a woman at the gym. She is 73, and had her first hip replaced at age 60. (She's had them both done.) She said that this one is metal on metal, and that she needs a revision. It burns. She had the tests. I feel so badly for her. She's very positive, though. She asked me for Dr. Matta's name. She wants to have a consultation with him. She's always complimenting me on how well I'm walking now. That whole Aqua class at the gym is like a support team for me. Many of them have had their joints replaced. They all want to know the name of my surgeon. I wish I had a video of the way I was walking before the surgery.

I remembered something that the physical therapist said to me when I was in the hospital. She cracked me up. She asked me, "Do you know who the BEST patients are for physical therapy?" "No, who?" I answered. "The alcoholics and the smokers," she told me enthusiastically. "They do EXACTLY what you say because they can't wait to get home and have a drink or a cigarette." I really got a kick out of that.

Today I went to the gym and did the machines. I'm slowly adding a little more weight. I'm gradually building up my time on the bike and stair master, too. It feels good to do that cardio. I've added a little bit of stretching, but I'm going very slowly. It causes a bit of soreness. (Very little...but it makes me wait.)

Yesterday I had to have the power window and timing belt fixed on my VW Beetle. The total was $1,300. Yikes! I've been spending a lot of money these past few months. I'm glad I was able to pay cash, but I need to rebuild my emergency fund. At least I'm not limping anymore. I feel much stronger and more like my old self.

I went to the library and got a couple of books to enjoy. I fell asleep this afternoon while reading one. I've had kind of a delayed reaction to the death of my mother in May. I want to move that grief through and out of my body.

I'm going to make a batch of toll house cookies tonight. I love those. Yesterday I made a macaroni and cheese. It's a nice white sauce with Tillamook cheddar. I've got to go hang my laundry out on the clothesline now. It's a good feeling to be able to do all of these household tasks with ease again. I just cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed the kitchen and living room. I dusted the antiques. My cottage is tiny...so it's an easy job.

Hope everyone is doing well and healing...
 
Another great report,,and you are a little under 8 weeks post op! Everything sounded good , except for the car repair bill. :nah: I so hope that you get a nice reimbursement check, I am guessing at about 65%? Then your emergency fund will perk right back up. You made a wise choice and now have your health and vitality back.
We can't put a price on that.
 
Thanks @CricketHip. I'm hoping for a nice reimbursement check, too. Yesterday I swam again at the gym. It's amazing to me how such a little bit of swimming goes a long way. I still only do 20 mins. It's plenty. I can tell that if I did more, I'd be in pain that night. I got out in the garden and watered the flowers, herbs, and fruit trees this morning. It's supposed to be 103 degrees today! Everything is green and healthy, though. I love sitting out on my porch. It's nice and shady and cool. The conifers give off a lot of oxygen. I enjoyed watching the birds in the birdbath this morning.

I've got a lot of weeding to do, but I'm waiting for the weather to cool down. I'm still icing and elevating a few times a day. I've been sleeping really well at night. That makes all the difference. I'm working on my singing again. It feels good to be back into the arts. I have an audition coming up in Nov. I booked a session with my coach for next week.

I've got to run to the grocery store before it gets too hot. I've been eating more fruit in this weather. My body needs it. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
103*!! Wow! We are in the 60's today but the sun is brilliantly shining and it makes it seem warmer.
I hope our weather holds for a long time, I love getting outside, too. I was able to walk 3 blocks this morning! It felt great.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I hope you do eventually write articles on dancing from the perspective of a person who has undergone THR. I think that would be fascinating. I know how much my loss of mobility and even independence has weighed on me the past few years. I can only imagine how it would be for a dancer whose life revolves around fluid movement. It must be so difficult.
It sounds like you're doing great. I hope you enjoy your weekend. :)
 
103*!! Wow! We are in the 60's today but the sun is brilliantly shining and it makes it seem warmer.
I hope our weather holds for a long time, I love getting outside, too. I was able to walk 3 blocks this morning! It felt great.

That's great, @CricketHip. I've been enjoying my walks, too. I can finally walk my two dogs at the same time again. I haven't been able to do that for over a year. Glad you've got some sun.

@DeepBreath, I think I'm noticing it more now, post op. I am really happy with how I can do my household tasks, and work in the yard, etc. I just feel like doing any ballet again seems impossible. But, I am 51, so it's not like I'm going to get hired to do ballet. My friends have been able to rehab and return to it, but I don't think that's the route I'm going to take.

I did go to the gym today. I'm back to most of my old routine. I'm looking forward to getting back to yoga, too. It stills seems too soon to me, though. I can do my very modified version at home.

This morning I baked a loaf of the NY Times No Knead bread. It's an artisian bread, and is just delicious! I had that with some cheese and smoked turkey. I'd forgotten how much I love homemade, fresh bread.

I got my laundry done today. I still need to practice my singing. I feel kind of lazy. I've got to get my focus back. I'm recovering extremely well, but I feel kind of in limbo. I've got to get back on a schedule again.

I stopped at the store on the way home from the gym. I picked up some cactus fruit, navel oranges, and kiwis. My strategy of buying what's on sale is working. I've really been watching what I spend, as I'm not sure which way my career is headed. I totalled up my Sept. expenses yesterday, and was pleased with the numbers.
 
Hello @Hip Hip Hooray! so glad you are now able to walk both your dogs, I haven't tried walking one yet! You sound wonderful has it been about 7 weeks? I'm not quite 2 weeks yet and although everything is doing good it's hard to imagine being back to normal in 5 more weeks - and you have 2 new hips. You sound very cheery but also hard on yourself, seeing you put it in writing about wanting more focus (exactly what I keep thinking) and feeling in limbo made me realize we have lofty expectations for our recovery. Not so much the physical part but the whole persona, we have spent a long time being in constant pain and suddenly that pain is gone. Somehow I expected that my future would be clear and I would be focused to pursue my goals. Now I'm not even sure what those goals are. Baking bread, walking 2 dogs, going to the gym, practicing yoga, that sounds pretty busy with two very new hips! I'm sure we will get our focus back, enjoy your Sunday evening. I'm going to visit my new best friend :ice: and soon after that get some :zzz::zzz::zzz:.
 
Thanks for your post, @Plum Perfect. Yes, Tues. will be eight weeks. Everyone tells me I'm too hard on myself. The nurse even told me that in the hospital. I think I'm kind of down because I'm now eligible for Medical. (Well, for next year.) I've filled out some job applications on line, but haven't heard anything back. I am disciplined, and debt free, but am feeling like I could and should be able to make more money. But, I am very fortunate that I've had this time to heal. Going back to work would have really drained my energy. I just want to be using my talents, and everything is changing now, with these hips. I turned 51 on Friday, and this is the first birthday I've had since my mom died. We were born on the same day, and I think that's kind of given me the blues. Just more of the grief process...

I've been enjoying your thread. You sound like you're doing very well. I really liked the article you posted on your thread. I've been keeping that in mind. I don't want to be one of those people who overdo after the anterior method. For some reason I just feel kind of lazy.
 
Hello again @Hip Hip Hooray! Sorry to have missed your birthday Friday, I hope you had a great one. I'm sure it is bittersweet that it is the same day as your mom. Birthdays, for me, are always a time of reflection, this blue time will pass for you. Treat yourself to something special and allow yourself to appreciate being pain free, I'm sorry you have the double whammy of grief right now. Hug your pups, that always helps me, I have two of mine on the bed with me, Ruby has her head resting on my arm. They help me think of happy memories and happy times to come. Thinking of you and wishing you a sunny day tomorrow and a nice walk with your pups. :flwrysmile:
 
((( @Hip Hip Hooray! ))) Happy Belated Birthday! :flwrysmile:
I can so understand everything you're feeling. Our time of life is difficult, especially for a woman. I am really noticing the 'disappearing' factor as time goes on. That 'you're not young and juicy any more, so you should just kind of go away' vibe that certain segments of society seem to put out. (Perhaps this is just my own cynical take on the situation though...)
Not doing what you've been doing career wise and losing your mom, all while recovering from a major surgery. That's huge. You'd have to be a fembot not to be having some pretty intense emotions.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Your shared birthday would have to be full of memories and feelings.
I lost my mom in the spring of 2014. She had dementia and passed suddenly. I was in Europe and did not get to say goodbye. I still have moments of deep guilt and sadness. It is getting better as time passes though.

Your account of what you've been doing, at only 8 weeks' recovery time, amazes me. Yoga, walking your dogs, baking bread, shopping for great bargains...well, consider me impressed and inspired.
I have a feeling that your future holds wonderful opportunities. You sound like a very diverse, talented person with a lot to offer. I hope you know that, even in the midst of the blue feelings.

Take care and be well. You have people here who understand. :)
 
Happy Belated Birthday to you @Hip Hip Hooray!
Hugs to you and my deepest condolences for the loss of your mother.
You have had a wonderful recovery, I have no doubts that you will continue to thrive and find a special niche for yourself with your career. You are a positive and upbeat person and you will do so well!
Like the Dr. Seuss story---"Oh the Places You Will go!" We are all graduates from a life changing surgery and Oh, the places we all will go!!
We've Got this!
Quoting Seuss:
"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!
 
Thank you for the wonderful posts, @Plum Perfect, @DeepBreath, and @CricketHip. I'm finding if I just sit with the grief, feel it, and let it wash over me, I feel better. The only way out is though...emotions are temporary.

I was supposed to go to a session with my vocal coach today. Her partner called to cancel for her. Her leukemia has returned, and she was recently in the hospital for a month. I feel so badly for her. I felt like crying when I hung up the phone. It's really intense when people around you are getting very sick. It seems like once I hit 50, so many people I know became seriously ill. It's really changed me. We never know how much time we will have. I'm overly sensitive to other people's pain.

Yesterday I went down to Santa Monica to watch a ballet class. The women I know who have had hip replacements weren't there. All of the dancers in the dressing room wanted to see my scars. They are only about 2" long, and they look fine. Neat and precise. I realized that dancers just assume you will always go back to ballet. They're almost like drug pushers. I don't think it would be wise to do something that caused so much damage to my hip joints. I want these new hips to last. But, many dancers can't imagine life without dancing. It's kind of an addiction, I think. I loved my career, but I don't want to do this surgery again.

I stopped at the gym on the way home and took a 20 minute swim. I did a short set of Kundalini Yoga last night before bed. I'm still doing several of the exercises in a chair, instead of sitting cross legged on the floor. (I wouldn't even attempt that.) The breathing feels good. I can lay on my back comfortably. Before the surgery, my left hip would grab up, like a claw. Now it's relaxed and healthy.

Today I realized that my grandmother had osteoarthritis in both of her knees, and she was always very weepy. She had a very hard life, and tried to be stoic. I'm really starting to see the connection between relationships, abuse, alcoholism in the family, and osteoarthritis. I've been writing a lot in my journal, and that helps. My brother called me yesterday morning, and we had a nice chat. He runs triathalons. I hope he doesn't end up needing surgery, too. I see a real tendency to overexercise (to deal with emotional pain) in my family. My middle brother is the same way. His legs are already shaped like mine were before the surgery. (bowed.) Makes me wonder how much of it is genetic. Everyone deals in their own way.

I watered the garden this a.m. All of the plants look healthy and happy. I really enjoy sitting out on my porch. The vibrations from nature are so healing. I love the shade, too. Time to put my linen sheets back on my bed. They're hanging outside in the sun.

I'm not in pain, and am enjoying walks, super easy basic yoga, and visits to the gym every other day. Oh, and I only weighed 111 lbs. the morning of my surgery. Such a shock, since I'm 5'7 3/4". At my post op visit, I weighed 117. Much better. I think freaking out before the surgery made me lose weight.
 
"The only way out is through" So profound and true. Running from the pain doesn't get you anywhere. It's a brave person who is able to see that and to allow those feelings to wash over them. Sending good thoughts and support as you work your way through them, @Hip Hip Hooray!.
I'm so sorry to hear about your vocal coach. I will send out good thoughts for her and her healing. It is so tough to hear of loved ones being sick.

Your recent exercise sounds lovely...very centered and healing. I'm looking forward to being able to swim again.

I agree with you about the power of nature. There is this definite 'hum' of life that rushes through the trees, the sky, the birds, etc and it is pure and vibrant. I think taking time to enjoy and partake of that is very important.
Oh my goodness, I bet your sheets smell fantastic! There's nothing like sheets dried outside. :)

My gosh, you were teeny tiny before surgery. Your current weight is much better. I hope that, in addition to feeling better pain wise, helps as you progress through your recovery.

Have a good evening, HHH. I hope there are many happy moments in your immediate future. Keep taking good care of YOU. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the encouragement, @DeepBreath. I feel much more like my old self again today. I took a beautiful hike in nature yesterday. I saw a gorgeous buck. He was down near my dog and I on the hiking trail. He ran straight up the mountain, (it was very steep,) and then turned to watch us. He tilted his head to the side, like he was listening. I talked to him for quite a while. He stood there, motionless. His ears were large, and his antlers stretched upward. It was a wonderful experience. We locked eyes. Nature is so healing. I hiked for about three miles. It was flat and felt easy. There were some stairs up to the trail, and I was able to do them.

Came home and chatted with some neighbors on the phone. I did some gentle Hatha yoga last night before bed. I'm really pleased with the changes I'm seeing. I can do child's pose now. I always had a round back in that position. Now, with my pelvis realigned, it's easy for me to bend forward. The hump is gone! I'm not doing anything strenuous. I still avoid anything with external rotation. It feels good to do shoulderstand and headstand again. Soon I will try adding handstand. I don't feel ready yet.

Am on my way to the gym now. Hope everyone is having a great day and recovering well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom