Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@hip hip hooray, I am so very sorry to hear about your neighbor-how horrible to lose a loved one this way. Rain in California is treacherous, I remember how slippery the roads would get. I am so glad the two of you are available to support each other.

I hope you return to your normal energy levels this week. I haven't read about the "4 week slump" but I definitely had it on the 3rd week. The nurses are having a hard time with my coumadin levels so they keep upping them, which I swear makes me tired (on the days I'm on a high dose). I am so happy that tonight is my last dose so I can eat vegetables the way I am used to (lots of them without restriction). Take care!
 
Thank you @Suzette. I took her to Costco the other day, and she stocked up on food for the memorial party. Her husband had told their son that when he died, he didn't want a service, he wanted a party. So, she bought all kinds of delicious food. I was glad that I could help.

I've been pretty sleepy the past few days. Yesterday I went swimming and used the sauna and jacuzzi. It wiped me out, so I took a nap when i got home. I spent the afternoon at the knitting shop, chatting and knitting with some friends. I was too tired after that to cook vegetables or make a salad, so I just made a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

This morning I went back to the gym and swam again. I also did some walking in the water, carrying weights. I worked forwards, backwards, and sideways. A woman came and asked if she could share my lane. She was very large and a strong swimmer. I said "Sure". After her first lap I got all paranoid that she was going to hit me. It's funny how having your hips replaced can make you feel like you need more space around you. (I've felt that way in the grocery store, too.) I decided I'd done enough swimming and returned to the jacuzzi. I chatted with the woman from the pool in the dressing room before I left. It turns out her mother has had both hips replaced, and now needs to have both of her knees replaced. I only did about 20-25 mins. of swimming, but I am exhausted. Time for a nap.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray!

It's sounding like you have things nicely under control with the expend energy/snooze cycle, I've found that one so important to get right and listen to; whenever I've fought against it I end up feeling lousy for a couple of days afterwards.
I understand totally about the paranoia, to date I've avoided crowds completely and I've been a stress bunny whenever I think about having to use public transport again with all that shoving & bouncing around. I'm hoping that will fade as I get more confident of my stability on my new hips.

Hope you're feeling well and you continue to have great recovery days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Hi @LaylaHips, I know what you mean about eating vegetables. I love them, too. I've been making a lot of squash and salads. It really helps to eat well.

@AndyH99, I think you're wise to wait on the public transportation. It does really help to listen to your body. That's what I've been doing.

Things are going well. I've been sleeping very comfortably. Today I went to the gym. I did five mins. on the stationary bike with no resistance. I used the regular bike, and it was much more comfortable than the recumbent bike. I put the seat up at 8. My hip doesn't like for me to bend my knee too much. I used the stair master for five mins. at level 9. It felt good. I did the Zumba warm up for 10 mins. It was really fun. My new hips feel really natural and like a part of me. I finished the rest of the hour on the machines. I did no weight or very light weight. It felt great, and the endorphins kicked in. I sat in the jacuzzi for 15 mins.

My only concern...the incisions both look red now. It's just a thin red line. No swelling or pain. I'm not sure if it's inflammation. I don't want to cause an infection. I guess I better back off. I get the sense that the hot water seems to cause a bit of aggravation, too. Back to icing and resting. Dr. Matta encourages us to get back to our normal activities, but I don't want to overdo. I feel so much better and happier when I exercise, but I don't want to mess anything up...
 
@hip hip hooray,
I notice my incisions change a lot- they look more red on the days I am getting more exercise. Today I have been out of the house for 7 hours, and just sat down, they look more discolored now. I was at my post-op today and the doc thought they looked fine. If your incisions are warm, if you have a fever, or have any kind of discharge, go to the doc asap. Best wishes, Teresa
 
@LaylaHips, Thanks for the info, Teresa. The incisions both look really healthy, I just got nervous when they were red. They're not warm, and I don't have a fever. The skin is nice and smooth, and they have always been closed It's a constant balance after this surgery. I have to really pull back, because I want to do yoga, work in the yard, etc. I have to go slowly and gradually.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Slow and steady is the way to win this race. You are doing amazingly well so far on what we all know is a really hard journey, take the time to stand and stare at the world around you and just think, consider and appreciate how much you've experienced to date and how much more there is now you are out of the other side. I'm finding myself doing that more and feeling really calm afterwards, until someone tries to stress me - then there is always the tazer :heehee:

Have a great recovery day
 
Watch out everybody - Andy with the tazer!!
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
I got a nice email from my surgeon's fellow yesterday morning. I had sent him a message, asking about the incision looking like a thin red line. He said that as long as I didn't have a fever or chills, and that the incision wasn't painful, draining, or open, I should be fine. I have my post op appt. with them on Oct. 5th. Yesterday I didn't go to the gym. My incisions felt good, and the color had faded. I did an easy set of Kundalini Yoga. I'm not able to sit cross legged on the floor yet, so I do those poses in a chair. I feel a lot of good, healing energy circulating through my pelvic region. I'm noticing a spring in my step. My old buoyancy is back.

Today I went back to the gym. I really like my new routine there. I find being around so many disciplined, focused people really helps my mental and emotional state. I was able to do some more ab work this time. I always feel more positive and happy when I work my core.

Yesterday I finally filed all of the paperwork on my desk. It was a relief to get that mess off of my desk! Today I'm going to add up all of my receipts for August. I've done a pretty good job of staying within my budget. This surgery was a big expense, but I look at it as an investment. I'm eager to see how much Blue Shield will reimburse me for the surgery. Either way, the bills are paid, so that's a good feeling. I saw a sign at the gym saying that they are hiring trainers. I think I may apply. I would like to work with people who are over 40, have had injuries or surgery, and want to get back in shape. I taught yoga and dance for 30 years, so this would be right up my alley. I worked for the gym as a yoga teacher when they first opened, 20 years ago!

@AndyH99, Saw your thread. I really learn a lot from your experiences. Everyone responds so differently to this surgery. It's fascinating.
 
Today I went to the gym and swam. I'm really pleased with the progress. Swimming feels very therapeutic. It seems healthy for the joints. I sat with a nice woman in the jacuzzi, and she told me about her back surgery. She was very encouraging, and told me, "You look like a 25 year old gir!" Very sweet of her. But, she's in her seventies, and people her age always think I look much younger than I am. Maybe she can't see very well. I wish the people in show business thought the same thing. Still, she made my day.

I made an apple crisp last night. This morning I cooked up a batch of brown rice and had that with some diced leftover smoked pork chops. I like to use a small amount of meat as a seasoning. I'm making a salad for dinner. I always feel better when I eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

I've been walking the dogs each evening. One of my neighbors saw me last night and commented, "Wow! You're walking so fast!" I am really pleased with the improvement in my gait. It's easy to walk now. I remember what a struggle it was before the surgery. It's a huge relief.

I'm still icing a couple of times a day. My hips feel really good. I have kind of a stretched sensation over the implants. It's like the skin or muscle is stretched very tightly, like saran wrap. I only feel this now and then. A lot of the time I forget I have even had the surgery. (especially when I'm driving.) It's pretty incredible.

I went to knitting today and hung out with the gals. It was fun to socialize and have a cup of coffee. I really appreciate being able to go out with friends and not be in pain anymore. Sitting at a table used to be agony! I don't have that now. I do need to get up and walk around, though. I need that circulation and stimulation.

Time to sautee some veggies and then walk the dogs. Hope everyone here is healing and doing well...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray!
It's good to read your posts and great to read your journey back to "normality". It's amazing that simple cooking, knitting , dog walking etc is such an achievement when we haven't been able to do them for so long. I think it would be wonderful if you applied for a post as a gym trainer. I found it very re assuring when I had hydrotherapy sessions with someone who had experienced a hip op herself. Keep posting. I enjoy your posts!
 
Thanks @copsham. That makes sense about the hydrotherapy trainer. I know several dancers who have had their hips replaced. I always feel better after talking with them. You can't even tell that they've had surgery! They're so disciplined and focused.

Yesterday morning I woke up early and let the dog out in the backyard. It surprised me that my hips were hurting, so I decided to ice and elevate. I hadn't needed any Motrin in quite a while, but I took one. I looked at the clock, and it was only 1:45 a.m. That was a shock. I was ready to make coffee! It's interesting to me that when I do experience pain, it comes at very consistent intervals. I always used to wake up around that time to take the painkillers early on in my recovery. So, as much as I love the gym, I'm seeing that it's still too soon to do my old workout. It doesn't hurt at all at the time, but I pay later. It's always a delayed reaction. Fortunately, I recovered within a few hours. I went back to bed, did some yoga breathing, and fell back asleep until 8:00 a.m.! I met with a couple of neighbors for coffee at 9:00 a.m. We had a nice chat and enjoyed whole grain blueberry and banana pancakes out on the porch. This neighbor who hosted us has had both of her hips replaced, too.

I've been thinking a lot about how in yoga hips are part of the second chakra. I'm seeing when I do things in life that help that energy center, it really makes a difference. Last night I put henna on my hair. I have to keep it there for four hours, to cover the grey. To kill some time, I watched some incredible footage of my favorite ballerina on Youtube. It was so inspiring. I feel better when I look better, and I love how the henna bumps up the hair color. It's natural, and it reminds me of Cleopatra. She used to use it.

The second chakra also has to do with relationships. I've noticed that if I spend time with people who I find difficult, controlling, or pushy, my hips start to ache that night. It feel like my battery has been drained. Even though I concentrate on not reacting or taking the bait when I'm with them, I pay for it later. The body doesn't lie. I was around a few women on Sunday who I find very stressful and pushy. It really zapped my energy. I felt recharged after sitting out on my porch with the plants, and cleaning my cottage.

I'm able to do my housework and water the garden without pain. That's a relief. I'm so sensitive to my surroundings. I really like things neat and clean. It feels good to be on top of the laundry and to be doing my mending an ironing. I've also been cooking and grocery shopping without any problems. Those were monumental tasks a few weeks ago.

Hope everyone else is feeling happy and healthy...
 
Thank you for such a good report of your recovery, you are doing so well. I hope to be able to go back to yoga, I had stopped when the pain was really bad. You sound like you are doing everything now, just a bit moderated. Despite reading all these stories I find it hard to believe I'll be running again. I also look forward to walking my dogs as a treat rather than dreading the pain.

Looking forward to your next update, keep your spectacular recovery going.
 
Thank you, @Plum Perfect. I did a little more yoga last night. I've really modified it. I started with some deep breathing on my back. To warm up, I went through neck rolls, upper arm stretches, and standing poses. My pelvis feels perfectly placed now. Before the surgery, it was lopsided. It really impeded my yoga. I had to stop. Now I can work my way back into it. I don't feel ready to do any hip openers, but I did do camel, some hamstring stretching, and shoulder stand. I was worried that I would wake up in pain, but I slept soundly through the night.

Today I went back to the gym. I did my normal routine, but down a few notches. I'm on the bike for five mins. then do the stair master for five mins. I spend the rest of the hour on the machines. I use light weights on the upper body. It feels really good to work my abs. I don't feel ready to do Pilates yet. The machines for the abs feel fine, though. Sitting is easier. Plus, the angle for the sit ups machine makes it less of a strain on the hip flexors.

I applied for another job today. I'm looking at things that don't hurt the hips. Hope everyone is doing well...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the update, especially about yoga. I am new to yoga but just as soon as I started my hip deteriorated so quickly I had to stop. I had hoped the yoga would help, no such luck. How soon after surgery were you able to start up again?
 
@Plum Perfect, I knew something was really wrong with my hips when I could no longer do yoga. I've been practicing for over 30 years. I started back very gradually. I was able to do things like neck rolls, shoulder shrugs and rolls, etc. very soon after the surgery. I waited until I felt comfortable. I think I waited four weeks to be safe. That's what my surgeon said to do. I'll check my notes. My intuition told me to do the basic PT exercises, walk, and build up my ability to do my household tasks. That was the focus from Dr. Matta's paperwork. It really made sense to me. At first I felt more comfortable doing things that required strength, rather than flexibility. I'm going to wait and see what he says before I try doing too much stretching. For now I do the poses I would give to classes where people were elderly or injured. (Nothing too pretzel-like.)

Last night I slept very soundly. I was afraid I would wake up in pain, but I didn't. Phew! It looks like my body can handle the gym again. Well, at the least the machines. I'll try swimming again tomorrow, and see how I do. For some reason, that has been making me sore. I think it's the kicking. It gets deep inside the hips and legs.

I went down to my neighbor's house this morning and we had a cup of coffee. I taught her how to knit. She caught on really quickly. She's going to make a chenille scarf. The neighbor across the street offered me some of her pomegranates. They're nice and ripe, and very sweet. I filled up my bag and brought them home. I have a tree, too. Mine are a different variety. It looks like I will be picking some persimmons any day now. I'm glad that I'll be able to get up on a ladder. I plan to be very careful.

I came home and baked some snickerdoodle cookies. I made the batter yesterday, and stored it in the fridge. After that I did some vacuuming and cleaned the bathroom. I took down the handicapped toilet seat today. I have to admit that I really like it. It's so comfortable! But, I want my cottage to look normal again. I think I'll still leave the grab bars in the tub. It's nice to have them there if I need them. I bought the small ones, with the suction cups. I'm real happy with them. They look nice on the tile.

Yesterday I stopped at the Salvation Army and picked up a few sundresses. I also bought four salad plates and four dinner plates. (Mine have slowly gotten broken over the past twenty years.) I decided to save the good ones, and use these every day. I love the pattern. I was really pleased with the total: $25.00 for everything! The dresses are cool and comfortable It's still been in the 90's here. Dresses and nightgowns are so easy to put on, too. I like the femininity, as well.

Time to do my PT. I'm going to do a little more yoga, as well. I think I'll try a headstand today. (Don't try this at home...)
 
Hi HHH, well, somewhere along the line I forgot to keep up with your thread and your recovery!
The brain disappeared into a fog a few weeks before surgery and is foggier even, now!
But in a way that was nice, because I could now read your recovery thread straight though and really enjoy it!
You are doing very well.. and another example of the benefits of being in good shape before the surgery and eating well before and after. I think I enjoyed the descriptions of your meals almost as much as I did the hip details. :heehee:
How wonderful for you to have a nice cottage that is all on one level! I am on day 11 and have just started navigating our stairs several times a day.
Its feels like I have been released from captivity and am trying to keep my trips up and down to a reasonable amount.
So, anyway, Good Morning and thank you for your wonderful recovery reports. Truly inspiring.
 
Hello HipHip Hooray, my surgeon was a fellow with Dr. Matts and has a similar philosophy. You are doing so well, your report is awesome. Sleepiness is over coming me but I must eat something first.
 
@CricketHip, Thank you. I feel like meal preparation has been therapy for me. I just love delicious food! I didn't do any stairs until four weeks. Then I went back to the stair master. You are wise to keep your trips down to a reasonable amount.

@Plum Perfect, I was going to ask you about that. Dr. Matta has an excellent fellowship. I was really impressed with all of the doctors he was training. You could feel how excited and enthusiastic they were. He really attracts quality people. I have my post op appt. with him on Monday morning. I'm excited about it. They did such an excellent job, and I really appreciate it.

The main thing I notice lately is that I have a lot more energy. I can do housework all day and not be exhausted. When I empty the compost containers, and walk the length of my backyard orchard, I remember the days when I was too tired, (or actually unable,) to even pick up pine cones. It sounds small, but being able to put on my underwear, pick things up off of the floor, and step into and out of the car is such a big deal. I really struggled with all of those things in the last couple of years. I think part of me had resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to do any of them again. I wondered why I was aging at such an accelerated rate. Now I feel like a new person. Much younger and more vital. I am still very careful, though. I think I always will be.

Yesterday I went to the gym and swam. I stuck to 20 mins. I wanted to see if I became sore again. This time I didn't. I slept very well. I've been waking up on my side with my knees together. That's another big step. Before the operation I HAD to put a pillow between my knees, or the pain was excruciating. Now my legs feel like they did when I was a child. I also have a lot more internal rotation than I ever remember having. I've held back on external rotation. I don't feel ready for that yet. I really can't imagine doing ballet again. I'm just happy to be able to do what I need to do in life.

I'm still doing 30 reps of the basic PT exercises that they gave me in the hospital. I just do them once a day, about five days a week. I really like the results. They don't hurt, and I don't get sore. I see excellent definition from doing them. The muscles around the implant are very cut. My quads are also defined. I was reading some of the exercises that Josephine says not to do...I found it very interesting, because that is what my intuition said, too. I read on line about marching, but it feels wrong, so I don't do it. (My knee doesn't like to be very high. Even on the bike, I put the seat way up at 8, so that I don't have to bend to 90 degrees.) I don't have any pain after riding, as long as the seat is completely up there. I don't do any knee to the chest type of stretching. It's like my body just knows what not to do. If something feels dangerous, I pass. Minimal movement feels best.

I'm feeling drawn to the mountains. I want to take a drive up to Wrightwood and go hiking. Since I'll be in Santa Monica on Monday, I think I'll do a beach trip instead. It'll be nice to visit the ocean. I also want to stop by the ballet studio and visit my dancer friends there who have had their hips replaced. (There are four teachers there who've done the surgery. They've all recovered beautifully.) We all went to the same place.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@hip hip hooray, I love this journal of your recovery and your descriptions of your daily activities-you should write a book! (I especially love the food-prep descriptions). Have a great weekend!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom