Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Yep, buy stool softeners over the counter. Unlike laxatives, you can take them for extended periods of time. I took 4 per day plus my prunes and prune juice to keep things moving. They work for most people. But if they don't, check out that article I linked for you. It has some special "recipes" that work even better!!
 
Nana, Thanks. That's good to know. I think I'll get some, just in case. Glad to know I don't need a prescription. Cynthia, I am a block from Sand Canyon! I love that area. Jamie, I read the article. Thank you. I'll try some of the recipes. I just need to order the ingredients. Vons delivers, and you can order on line. I'm going to get my list written, and prunes will definitely be on it!

Last night I had a really good sleep. My body seems to have relaxed since I decided to stay home. I think I was stressing myself out with the little trips to knitting groups. I didn't realize what it was doing subconsciously. I walked a bit further this morning. I'm amazed at how easily I walk. I use the walker for safety, but I don't really need it. (unless I'm tired or stiff.)

Yesterday I made a tuna and noodles. Today I'm going to wash my sheets. I try to do one chore in the morning, when I have the most energy. My dogs have been excellent company. I was worried that they would take advantage of my condition, and not come when called. (well, the dominant one...) but both of them have been very eager to please. I'll be glad when I can walk them again.
 
Omg! I remember Vins starting that delivery service! Out here we are lucky to get a newspaper delivered! ;-)
I REALLY miss Santa Clarita and am stuck here due to my business.

You sound like you're coming along very well! I think having a hobby, such as knitting, is very helpful during recovery. Is knitting difficult to learn on ones own?
 
Thanks Cynthia. Yes, I'm so glad I have my knitting and crocheting. Some people are able to learn knitting from Youtube videos. I learned from a neighbor. I also took a few classes, and that really helped. Usually you need help fixing your mistakes. (when you first start.)

Turns out my neighbor called and asked me if I needed anything at the store. I didn't have to order from Vons, after all. She's picking some things up for me. I'm so lucky that I have such kind neighbors. I'm feeling very energized today. I may even vacuum the carpet later. Luckily, my cottage is tiny...
 
My mother taught me how to crochet a doily when I was about 12 years old, but have forgotten how. I doubt I'd be able to learn to crochet without someone helping me. Need to figure out something to keep my hands busy post-op. :-)
Btw...I just read somewhere on Bonesmart, that vacuuming is a big no no...be very careful!
 
My mother taught me how to crochet a doily when I was about 12 years old, but have forgotten how. I doubt I'd be able to learn to crochet without someone helping me. Need to figure out something to keep my hands busy post-op. :)
Btw...I just read somewhere on Bonesmart, that vacuuming is a big no no...be very careful!

If you remember how to crochet, you could make dishcloths or pot holders. They're really easy. Or, since your mother taught you how to make a doily, that might be easier, since it's familiar. The videos on line are really good. Wish I lived closer and could come help you!

Oops...I already vacuumed. It's a tiny area, and my vacuum is really light. But, I'll keep that in mind. Sure looks a lot better in here. I dusted, too. I feel so much better when my house is clean.
 
My neighbor told me that she has some stool softeners. She's going to bring them over with my groceries. She also picked me up some prunes, pears, and milk.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 & @hip hip hooray Slightly strange thought for you, I learnt to knit and crochet - mainly as I'm a serial crafter and I like to know how stuff is made. I must admit to having fun making things like gloves and the occasional Arun twist jumper. I've moved on to leather crafting now though, so starting at belts and moving upwards.

Have fun


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Cynthia777 & @hip hip hooray Slightly strange thought for you, I learnt to knit and crochet - mainly as I'm a serial crafter and I like to know how stuff is made. I must admit to having fun making things like gloves and the occasional Arun twist jumper. I've moved on to leather crafting now though, so starting at belts and moving upwards.

Have fun


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oh, that's great! You're good! I knit my first pair of gloves last Sept. I was so happy with them! Lots of work on tiny dpn's. They're alpaca! I love knitting socks, too. I've made several sweaters. It's so rewarding to make your own clothes. Leather sounds like fun.
 
I couldn't agree more, I've got a whole list of bags, backpacks, wallets and belts on my schedule when I can sit and stand long enough to work with the weight of the hides and skins.

Enjoy the knitting & enjoy the fun of trying to remember the stitch count after an impromptu snooze when one sneaks up on you

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lol - not even close on my part but it's a nice diversion from the IT and academic stuff I do normally & I love to create things. Maybe one day I'll pick one for an alternate career if life is ever that kind.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99
With your kind spirit and bright outlook...I'm sure life is going to be very kind to you Andy!
:)
I agree. Funny you said that about the snooze, Andy. I did fall asleep on the couch! My brother called me, and it woke me up. I'm really pleased with how the pain has lessened. I usually heal very quickly. How about you guys? It sounds weird, but I'm excited to do laundry tomorrow. I decided to skip the evening walk. I feel like I did enough for one day.

I've been taking two showers a day since this surgery. One in the morning, and a cold one before bed. It makes me feel better. I've got a clean nightgown on, and clean linen sheets on the bed. I think I'll go to bed early...

Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery.
 
I found it funny at the time, but I was excited about making my wife a cup of tea and working out how to carry it in to her whilst on two crutches, plus I even enjoyed doing the washing up.

Quick tip for the laundry if it gets awkward, use a couple of heavy duty grabbers ie the ones they use for picking up litter, I found they let me haul the stuff out if I couldn't bend or reach far enough into the machine.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those grabbers do come in handy. Yesterday one of my neighbors dropped off a loaf of homemade persimmon bread. I gave her a bunch of persimmons off of my tree last year and she froze them. I'm really lucky to have such nice neighbors. Last night I woke up around midnight in pretty intense pain. Even though I skipped the evening walk, I still did too much yesterday. I put ice on both thighs, both hips, and got back in an elevated position on the couch. It was amazing how quickly that brought relief. I also took a whole percaset. (I had been cutting them in half and reducing my dosage slowly.) I went back to bed, did some yoga breathing, and slept straight through until 6:30 a.m.! I breathe out pain and I breathe in healing, golden light. It gives me a focus and helps me relax.

The stool softeners and prunes have helped. It's a relief not to worry about that anymore. I think stress and worry have a lot to do with healing. I'm so fortunate that I don't have pressure to return to work. I feel for the people who do. That must be very difficult. Today I plan to make a meatloaf. My surgeon told me that vegetarians don't do well with this surgery. He also suggested that I have eggs for breakfast. My neighbor has chickens, so I bought a dozen from her.

Took my walk early this morning, while everyone else was probably sleeping. I like to beat the heat. I'm going to do my PT exercises now. Hope everyone else's recovery is going well. Little by little...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
What a nice update! You're doing so well and it's so helpful to hear good reports while still pre-op! Thanks and so happy you're doing well!

Thanks Cynthia. I remember the preop days. When I first found Bonesmart, I stopped reading the post op posts because I got so scared. I was so worried about my surgery. In my case, things went far better than I hoped, and nothing that I worried about came true. (I didn't have to have a blood transfusion, they were able to do both hips in the same operation, (I didn't lose too much blood, and my iron level was still a 9.) The doctor said that a 9 is healthy just for one hip. My 84 year old father made it safely on the 6 hr. drive to the hospital, and we didn't get in a car accident on the way home. We were just fine. My mantra at the hospital was "cooperate". I had a good rapport with the nurses. I did my best to listen to their advice and apply it. I thanked them and pointed out how hard they work. (They have such a tough and demanding job!)

I will read your thread and keep follow your progress. The main thing that helped me was to let the nurses know ahead of time that I wanted the meds on schedule. My neighbor, (who's a horse vet,) advised me to stay ahead of the pain. The nurses say it here, too. It's so true. It prevents the pain from escalating. I was really blown away by how well the meds worked.

It takes a lot of guts to do this surgery. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done, but also one of the most rewarding.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
You are so positive and helpful! I told hubby that I want him to bring the nurses a nice basket of fruit and nuts (wouldn't want to give them something unhealthy...lol), just to thank them ahead of time (once I get to my room) for the good care they're GOING to give me (this could be considered bribery). :-)
I figure they won't forget me this way...:heehee:

I'm really going to try and journal my recovery with a lot of detail, in hopes that I can "pay it forward" as people like you and others have done for me. Thanks again!
Cindy
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom