Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Yesterday I started to get a bit bored. I realized it's going to be a long haul. You can't rush the healing process. I made a batch of brown rice, finished up the lamb chops I had cooked a few days ago, and did some vacuuming. I really have to pace myself. I can do a few chores each day, but then I have to postpone the others.

Last night I took a tramadol before bed. I woke up at 11:30 p.m. with extreme aching in my hips. I got up and iced and elevated. Yesterday morning I had taken my second bath since the surgery. I think that may have caused some inflammation. The same thing happened the first time I took a bath. I took a whole percaset after icing, and fell into a deep sleep until 6:30 a.m. I would like to get off the pain meds, but they do provide me with incredible relief. Because of that, I am able to sleep, which is invaluable. So, I will just continue to take motrin during the day and follow the signs my body gives me. I still have plenty of the prescription pain killers, since I use them sparingly.

My close friend from New York City Ballet called me last night. There are many, many dancers in her company who have had their hips replaced. It's so common in the ballet world. I told her I was surprised at how many Broadway and Vegas dancers I know that have contacted me. They all told me their hip replacement stories. I had no idea. They were coming out of the woodwork! She told me that one of her hips has been giving out when she's teaching ballet. (She teaches at the School of American Ballet in NYC.) "Is that how it starts?" she asked. "Well actually, for me, that was how it ended." I told her. We laughed. I suggested she get an xray. I was in total denial with my hips. I had no idea how much damage I had done. I just kept trudging along, like a soldier.

I'm really pleased with my gait. It feels smooth and healthy now. The surgery moved my hips and femurs back to where they should be. My legs had gotten very wide apart, and they looked extremely bowed. Now they look healthy and normal.

I need to get out and water my garden. We're on a schedule with the drought, so I can't be lazy or the plants will suffer. I need to call Blue Shield today about one of my hospital bills. It says that they don't have my insurance info on file, and I know that they have it. I'll have to correct that. I don't want to pay the full amount. Good thing I read the bill carefully!

Am seeing that with healing after this surgery, the pain does move around the body. It feels like as one area gets better, the next portion starts to need attention. It's interesting how the nerve pathways work. I know with my jaw it took eight months for the bone to heal. So, I don't really see these situations as set backs, just as a new phase of healing. I think it's going to take a long time and a lot of patience. I'm just relieved that my recovery has gone fairly smoothly, and that I am getting better. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to take care of myself, and I've been able to adjust.

I hope everyone else is doing well. I love reading all of the different perspectives on this forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! Hiya, love reading your progress write ups; they are such a good read and shows how positive the recovery can be.

Not sure if it would work for you, but I've delayed my last bit of PT for the day until just before I take my last lot of meds so I'm a little drained, then when the meds kick in I can often drop off for a few hours easier. Just a thought.

Have a great recovery day & your talk of lamb has got me thinking of trying a spring onion and ginger infused lamb leg - my stomach thanks you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ahhhh....vacuuming! I vacuumed the other day, just before my daughter and great grandson came to visit. I suffered the next day. Everyone on here says that's a big NO NO, in the beginning stages of recovery. I am at 5 weeks and you are in the very beginning phase. I am finally down to 1/2 Percocet at night, but still ice and elevate. The only time I take more than that 1/2 is when I feel I need to and that is very rare now...thank goodness. It is good to hear that you are doing so extremely well and I hope it continues. But, patience and taking it slow and easy is the key.
 
@AndyH99, Thanks for your post. I hope you made some lamb. It's one of my favorites. I'm glad doing the PT later on is working for you. I'll be doing that today, since I spent the morning with my neighbor. We sat with her dogs, chatted, and had coffee. She's really sweet. I normally do my PT first thing, but today I'll do it in the afternoon. My energy is highest in the a.m., so that's when I walk the dogs and exercise. Tonight I'm going to water the garden, which I also consider PT. Glad to hear you are able to fall asleep earlier. I've been lucky that way, I've been falling asleep very early. It just depends what time I wake up with the aches. This is a HUGE improvement since the early days, though. I used to need pain medication every two hours!

@Nana757, Sorry to hear you suffered after vacuuming. We are all so different. You can't really accurately assess where I am in the recovery phase. It's better not to compare. You're making judgements based on what you've read and what you believe, rather than where I am. As a professional dancer, I know my body, and I listen to it. The physical therapists told me that I'm way ahead of the average person who has had one hip replaced. (My surgery was bilateral.) I don't mean that to sound arrogant, but I know my capabilities, and I make my own decisions. I do a small amount of vacuuming each day, and I haven't had a problem with it. I have a very llght vacuum, a tiny cottage, and two German shepherds who shed like crazy!

Some people here are already able to ride the bike...for some reason, that makes my hip very irritated. But, I am happy for those who can do it, and I hope that I will be able to do it again someday. I taught yoga for 30 years, and it is remarkable how different people are, physically. Their abilities vary, depending on the individual.
 
@Nana757
Yes, I read the same thing about vacuuming here and on the web. I read it's one of the worst activities one can do post THR. I'm so surprised you haven't had any repercussions from vacuuming @hip hip hooray...good for you!
:-)
 
@Nana757
Yes, I read the same thing about vacuuming here and on the web. I read it's one of the worst activities one can do post THR. I'm so surprised you haven't had any repercussions from vacuuming @hip hip hooray...good for you!
:)

I don't recommend it, and I haven't been posting about it, since I don't want to sound oppositional. I really respect the Bonesmart website, and the information here has helped me greatly. To be honest, though, I've been vacuuming regularly, (every other day,) with no problem. But, I only do a small space at a time. 250 square feet, max. I waited until I felt comfortable.

I did have the anterior technique, and the restrictions are personal. Dr. Matta tells us to listen to our body. He encourages us to get back to our daily activities and routines. In the paperwork it says that we don't have to lay around like a sick person all day. That doesn't mean hurting yourself or overdoing. Some of his patients are driving by the third week. I feel I could drive now, too, but I haven't. Their suggestion was to wait four or five weeks.

There are so many factors: age, pain level, strength, life circumstances, help available, etc...
 
@hip hip hooray
I just thought I'd mention what I've read online (not necessarily on BS) because vacuuming is the one chore that's mentioned over and over again as a no no (not sure why). But, like you said, everyone is different. :-)
 
I'm seeing very steady improvement, so I'm encouraged. It feels good to add a little bit more activity each day. I'm finding that I'm forgetting that it's time to take a Motrin, so that's a good sign. The pain has really diminished. I also don't notice the implants as much as I did the first few weeks. It's like they're starting to blend into my body. Before, they felt like two steel guns in my upper thighs. I was also able to lay on my side for a while this morning! I was nervous to try it, but it didn't hurt. Another milestone.

Last night I took one tramadol at bed time. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. and realized, "I'm not in pain!" I still took 1/2 a percaset, just in case. If the same thing happens tonight, I'll try taking a quarter. My sense is that soon I will be sleeping through the night. Once that happens, I'll skip the percaset, cut the tramadol in half, and phase that out, as well.

Yesterday I started knitting a pair of baby booties for a neighbor. I have some beautiful self patterning yarn. It's from Italy. It's so much fun to watch the colors appear. These colorful booties are going to make a nice gift. I love making hand knit baby clothes. They have so much personality.

Today I'm going to drive to Costco and pick up a few things. I already walked the dogs this morning. I didn't go that far. Since Costco is a huge store, walking the aisles will be part of my PT today. It's only five miles away, so I feel comfortable with the distance. If I have a bad feeling about driving, I will turn around, come home, and take the bus.

Yesterday I called the hospital and explained to billing dept. that they had charged me the full amount. The bill said that they didn't have my insurance info on file. She corrected the mistake, and said that it will show up on the next bill: Oct. 15th. It feels good to get those kinds of things out of the way.

I've been doing the PT exercises regularly, and they've gotten much easier. I actually enjoy them, and it's rewarding to be able to do so many things that were a struggle before the surgery. I'm looking forward to next week, when I can return to the gym, and start swimming again. I like the people there. They are upbeat, positive, and disciplined.

Hope everyone here has a great day and continues to reach their goals. (slowly but surely...)
 
Hip Hip Hooray said:
@Nana757, Sorry to hear you suffered after vacuuming. We are all so different. You can't really accurately assess where I am in the recovery phase. It's better not to compare. You're making judgements based on what you've read and what you believe, rather than where I am. As a professional dancer, I know my body, and I listen to it. The physical therapists told me that I'm way ahead of the average person who has had one hip replaced. (My surgery was bilateral.) I don't mean that to sound arrogant, but I know my capabilities, and I make my own decisions. I do a small amount of vacuuming each day, and I haven't had a problem with it. I have a very llght vacuum, a tiny cottage, and two German shepherds who shed like crazy!

Some people here are already able to ride the bike...for some reason, that makes my hip very irritated. But, I am happy for those who can do it, and I hope that I will be able to do it again someday. I taught yoga for 30 years, and it is remarkable how different people are, physically. Their abilities vary, depending on the individual.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My apologies @Hip Hip Hooray! if I offended you in any way. It certainly was not my intent. You are absolutely correct that everyone recovers in their own way and at their own pace, depending on their age, abilities, etc. You had indicated that I was assessing, comparing and judging your recovery, but that couldn't be any farther from the truth. I would never do that, because I know everyone is different. I was simply offering a friendly suggestion that had been passed on to me by the BS Gurus. If that offended you, I am deeply sorry. I sincerely hope that you continue with your remarkable recovery and wish you nothing but the best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it sounds like you are doing well and not too much, which is great. I still get that outer thigh pain after walking but now I can walk the dog for about 50 minutes before the ache starts. I then know it's time to stop.
I hope your recovery stays on the up and you enjoy your time at home with the dogs x
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it sounds like you are doing well and not too much, which is great. I still get that outer thigh pain after walking but now I can walk the dog for about 50 minutes before the ache starts. I then know it's time to stop.
I hope your recovery stays on the up and you enjoy your time at home with the dogs x

Hi @Suzette,
I read your thread, and am amazed at how far you walk. I had a bit of aching when I went to Costo this morning, but I think part of that was nerves. It faded.

It sounds like you are under a lot of pressure at work. I really feel for the people that are in a demanding work situation. That must be intense. I hope your pain eases and that heals. Bilateral surgery is not for sissies!

When you wrote that you thought it wasn't going to hurt, I could totally relate. I think that sometimes what is said on line about the anterior method is misleading. I talked to a ballet teacher I knew before having my surgery. She had her hip replaced at the same place I did, by a different doctor. She was honest with me, and her story made me make sure that I would receive the pain medication on time. Dr. Matta's asst. told me it was good that I sent them that message specifying that I wanted to stay ahead of the pain, regardless of whether or not I was asleep, out of it, whatever.

My dogs and I just took another nap. I am very fortunate that I can recharge that way. Thanks for the post, and I wish you the best in your recovery.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Well thank you xx I have only just managed to walk that long/far since having a few sessions with the chiropractor, it seems to be working , phew. .The only issues now is the sitting and lying in my sides.

I was only thinking yesterday, why I thought that all pain would be gone and all would be normal after a few weeks. I had totally convinced myself that I would be back at work by week 3 !!! And I so wish I knew what you knew about pain meds being on time, as pain relief in the hospital was hit and miss. The pain was horrendous.

Anyway I realised, that although I had watched loads of videos on you tube, so I knew exactly what was going to happen, I managed to dissociate that operation, with me and my hips. It was always someone else's hips never mine!! It was if, subconsciously, my brain had decided to ignore what I had watched, as it was too gruesome, I became the person watching rather than the person being operated on, I was even excited about the op. Aren't our brains clever at blocking things out......

Well , Let's hope we keep improving and getting back to 'Normal' again as soon as our bodies are ready. I am trying to ignore the bosses mood swings, but I wish she knew what she was doing to us all ....

All the very best to you too xx
 
I just wrote a long post and lost it. Rats. I'll try again. Yesterday I drove to Costco. I felt so elated to be driving again. I got there when they opened, to avoid the heat. I only bought about five things, and made sure to plan my route, so that I walked as little as possible. They have those shopping carts that you can drive. I thought about using one, but was able to use a regular one and walk. I went before it was crowded, so I didn't have to wait in line.

I came home and listened to a podcast while icing and elevating.. I fell asleep in the middle of it! It's interesting how much more energy it takes to do simple chores post op. I felt recharged after napping. I made some squash with leftover brown rice for lunch. I cut up the squash into matchsticks and sauteed it in butter and fresh garlic. I seasoned it with salt and pepper. It feels good to be able to shop, cook, and enjoy delicious foods again. Life is slowly getting back to normal.

I worked on my audition songs. Each day I feel more power. Singing was was very challenging in the first couple of weeks after my surgery. I had to do most of my songs silently. Now I'm able to add a new song out loud each day. It's a good feeling.

Last night I experimented with taking just half a tramadol and bedtime and half of a percaset when I woke up at 11:30 p.m. It's funny, by cutting the dosage in half, I woke up twice as early as I normally do. My body is very exact in it's reactions. I took another half a percaset at 2:00 a.m. I think I will go back to the whole dosage for another few nights. That way I sleep twice as long. I'm constantly tinkering to get completely off the meds. I only need the Motrin during the day every five hours. My pain level still increases at night.

The sensations in my body have moved. I now feel the discomfort and stiffness at the hip flexors, glutes, and sides of the hips. (It used to be lower.) My thighs have recovered and feel normal. It's encouraging. I also notice a pulsing feeling under the icepacks when I'm icing. It's kind of like a throb, but without any pain or swelling. It's interesting.

I vacuumed the LR and kitchen last night. I'm looking forward to being able to mop the floor. Today I'll clean the bathroom. It feels good to have the home and garden getting back under control again. Last night I watered the orchard. Little by little I am catching up on all of my chores. I still have to do far less, but can add a bit more each day, without pain.

I've been reading more of the recovery threads, and they are really fascinating. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and experiences. You really have to go through this surgery to understand it. It's not something you can learn by just reading.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great day you had. I too noticed the pain moving the same way as you have described. At 12 weeks now , I have the occasional ache at the top of my outer thigh and a funny tingle at the front top of thigh.

I get more pain at night and it still wakes up if I get into the side lying position.

Today at work I was so tired and really thought I was going to have to go home but I managed to last. Am dreading being full time next week.

Never mind as I am in Rhodes the week after..yippee Xxx have a good night
 
@Suzette, Thanks. That's interesting that you've noticed the pain moving the same way. There are so many different stages to this healing. I notice a lot of people mention that their pain is worse at night, too. (It's so much better than before the surgery, though. Well, for me it is.) Although I did have a period where the leg muscles were starting to atrophy, and the bones were shifting at night. That's when i knew something was really wrong. It's a relief to have the muscles rebuilt, and the bones and ball of the hip sockets in the correct position again. My legs had gotten very wide apart. It was bizarre. Now I can get my knees together. That was almost impossible for the past year.

Sorry to hear you've been so tired at work. I can imagine. Take care of yourself.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Hi, Bilateral Jim here. I think your story has been the closest to my own. What a remarkable recovery. What i noticed was you adjusted your activity to your inner feeling with your body. Your dancing career has helped you being in harmony with your pain levels. Great story! Keep it up. Good Luck!
 
@Michegon, Hi Bilateral Jim. Thanks for posting. I'll have to go and read your recovery thread. Thank you for the encouragement. You're right. I'm a big believer in following your intuition. I trust my body more than anything or anyone. Thanks for understanding.

It's funny, the discipline of dance also was with me, even under anasthesia. (Am I spelling that wrong?) I woke up in recovery, and I was still inhaling for 8 cts. holding for 8 counts, and exhaling hard (to release the pain) for 8 counts. I think I was doing that the entire 3 hours of my surgery! Before the operation they asked me if I wanted a sedative, and I declined. "I'll do my yoga breathing," I told them. It really helped me to stay calm, and gave me a focus.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I've been following up your recovery thread and I'm finding it extremely interesting. Don't worry about vacuum cleaning. If you feel you can do it, then it won't do you any harm. I can confirm that your recovery is way ahead of that of the average person. Why not go for things if you feel confident and if they don't hurt.

In fact, like you, I don't believe in hard and fast rules (they are just fine for the average), but I believe in listening to my body. I learned it in the 80s when I had my 4 daughters. At the time, it was the trend to give birth as naturally as possible with the minimum of medical apparatuses, pain killers or surgery. It was believed that pregnancy and childbirth was not an illness but natural. So we went to classes and learned a lot of relaxation and breathing techniques. Then later on I took up running. That also made me more conscious of my body and made me more aware of the breathing. I finished 10 marathons and always recovered well. If you run a marathon you learn not to overdo, i.e. run too fast and to listen to your body. Do they not say in bonesmart that hip recovery is a marathon?

You are right when you say that all kinds of different little pains in changing positions come up after the hip has been repaired. They are nothing to worry about. For me it was the knee at times, or the inner thigh. I had a physiotherapist who said my thigh muscles had atrophied and the ligaments for the adductor and the flexor muscles were shorter than they should be due to bad use. When I did my gait training I had to learn to use them correctly again.

Are you planning on taking on dancing again? I was hopeless at dancing at 16. At the time, many teenagers went to dancing schools and learned standard dances like waltz and tango, but also rock-and-roll. I think there was something wrong with my hip then. I would probably try again now, but I have already got lots of hobbies and do lots of different types of exercise. I've taken up some light yoga which I couln't do before. That works ok. And I have to work as well and the day only has 24 hours. Keep up your good recovery work and do keep us up to date.
Take care - Constanze
 
@Constanze, Thrilled to hear from you. I loved your recovery thread. It really inspired me. You are an excellent writer.

Today is another day, and once again, I feel better and stronger. Last night I did a shoulderstand before going to bed. I used the couch to assist me. My body is feeling like it wants to to do some inversions again. I used to love handstands, headstands, and elbow stands. They are so energizing, and I like how they stimulate the glands. I used to do some hatha yoga each night before bed. It helped me to stretch, breathe, and relax before sleeping. I'm hoping to add a few gentle poses each night.

After walking the dogs this morning, I noticed a slight aching in the lower back. Once again, it feels like the healing energy in my body is moving. The lower back ache isn't painful, it just feels like the muscles are adjusting and waking up from a slumber. I looked in the mirror, and my alignment is MUCH better now. I can pull my tailbone down and lift my abs. Before the surgery, I was locked in a sway backed position. So, I think my muscles are adjusting to this correction. I'm really happy with my post op gait. It feels smooth, relaxed, and graceful. I really struggled with walking in the past year or so.

Today I'm going to drive to Sprouts and buy what's on special. I love to get good bargains on groceries. It really saves me money. I've been eating really well, and am enjoying making healthy and nutritious meals again. I'm out of the sandwich stage!

Last night I took another bath, and this time I didn't feel inflamed while sleeping. I was able to shave my legs and use a pumice stone on my feet. It was hard, but I persevered. My shower chair helped. I feel much better. I gave myself a manicure this morning. I plan to do my laundry this afternoon. I'm pleased that I can hang the clothes on the clothesline now. At first I had to use the dryer. All of my household tasks area getting easier and feeling more natural. I'm going to mop the floors today.

I added a few more PT exercises to my routine. I feel like the muscles and implants are blending and forming correctly. It's like they're combing forces. I like the muscle definition I'm getting from the exercises I do on the bed. They feel easy and free now. I'm really glad that I was able to heal my knee injuries while I was in my thirties with Bikram Yoga. It seems to me that those who have had knee replacements have a much more difficult path when their hips are replaced. I had knee problems for 15 years as a dancer, but somehow, that Bikram yoga sequence erased the pain. I couldn't heal my hips with yoga, though. (or acupuncture.) I feel like this surgery was the best choice and that in time the implants will feel like part of my body.

Last night I took one tramadol at bedtime and one percaset at 11:00 p.m. I still feel some pain at night. I'm thinking that I may just cut out the tramadol. It doesn't seem to do much for me. The percaset is like a miracle drug. I will try cutting it in half next week. I'm having very little pain during the day. I find the ice works perfectly. I may eventually have to start icing in the middle of the night to get off the percaset. It really induces a state of relaxation in my body. I can see why it is so addictive. I'll give it some more time. Patience...
 
Things are moving along well. Last night was the first night that I didn't take tramadol or percaset. I was fine! I've been taking one Motrin about every six hours. I forget to take it during the day. The pain has really faded. I've been walking the same short distance each day. I think I go a little over a mile, if that. It feels good. I put more energy into my housework than exercise. I figure I can always get more physical in time. (I'm playing it safe.) I'm slowly getting more on top of the cleaning and gardening, which feels good. Today I mopped the floors. I did an easy version. I vacuumed them, and then sprayed white vinegar and water on them with a spray bottle. I mopped it up with a swifter. (No buckets, lifting, or extreme bending.)

I'm still doing 30 reps of the PT exercise, about five times a week. I feel like I could do more, but I don't. This amount is working, and I don't want to cause any strain. I'm really looking forward to the four week mark, (next Tuesday,) when I can return to the gym. I plan to work around my hip. I miss doing the upper body work, stair master, and ab machines. I'm going to use very light weights.

I'm able to take baths regularly now. I don't feel any inflammation like I did the first time. I'm still icing and elevating several times a day. I think I'll do that for a long time, just as therapy. It makes such a difference. I find taking a cold shower before bed really helps me, too. It's been very hot here, so the hydrotherapy makes me feel cleaner and more comfortable. Next Tuesday I can use the sauna and jacuzzi again! The incisions are fully healed. He used that glue, and it worked really well. Both sites look smooth and clean. I love that I didn't have to have any stitches removed.

I've had more energy for cooking and meal preparation. I'm back into daily salads, and tomorrow I plan to make tacos in the morning, before it's too hot to cook. For lunch I made a BLT with avodado on a tortilla. The tomatoes were from my garden, and they had nice flavor. I've been eating the pomegranates that I picked last week every morning. Pretty soon it will be time to pick persimmons, and then guavas. The trees look promising.

I ran into my neighbor while walking my German shepherd. She had her new baby with her. She loves the blanket I crocheted while in the hospital. Her baby is gorgeous! I told her if she wants me to knit anything else, to just let me know. I love making baby gifts...

Hope everyone else is doing well. I've been studying the recovery threads here. It's so interesting. Great information. Thanks to all...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom