Guest viewing is limited

TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

I hope your appointment goes well and your OS can help you with your pain and lack of sleep.
 
Just got back from my os appointment. He gave me a refill for the pain medication. Told me that knee looks really good and my incident the other day caused no damage just stirred things up. Just like you guys said. He said rom and extension were really good. Again just like you guys said with no out patient pt. Said pain and swelling will subside with time. Didn't give me anything for the sleeping issue. Told me to take motrin or advil and some pm advil at night. Lots of ice and elevation. I am to go back next month for another check.
Disappointed that he didn't prescribe me some sort of sleeping pills but will see how this works before I complain some more.
Back to work in 3 weeks but on a reduced hour schedule until I am up to doing a full day.
 
Also told can start driving but to practice in a parking lot first and of course try not to overdo it. Tomorrow going to attempt to take grandkids to movies as a big thanks for helping me so much. Planning on packing some ice packs and we will be sitting on their new recycling seats
 
Make sure you can elevate while at the movies. Holding that leg down all that time will be very painful and cause lots of swelling.
 
Back from movies. Leg sore but I'll live. We had their brand new reclining chairs so that helped a lot. Also took ice pack with me which I had on me during movie. Thank God it was a very long movie though at times I was wondering what the heck I was thinking going to the movies. Will spend rest of day relaxing and hopefully I won't pay for this later.
 
I'm glad you made it and hopefully, you'll have no repercussions.
 
Os told me I can go back to work in 3 weeks if I'm up to it. I work in the main office of an elementary school. Hoping by that time I'll be a lot better either way I will have to take it slower than I normally would though beginning of school to start soon so things will get crazy.
 
That's really quick for going back to work! I hope you do OK.
 
Great to hear you had a good OS appointment. If you do go back before 12 weeks, can you go back part time for a couple of weeks?
 
Repercussion for today's events including cooking dinner have now begun. Knee now swollen and sore. Took 1000mg Tylenol and ice
 
Steri-strips off my incision spot. Just a lot of scabbing and itching in that area. How would I know or when can I submerge that knee injury a pool, beach, tub or shower? also when can I also start applying lotion on that area?
 
My OS said not to put anything on the scar until it was completely healed, no scabs. Same goes for a pool, better to wait than risk an infection. I was allowed to let water run over it with steri strips. But you can give your OS a call to be sure.
 
You should not go into any body of water until all your scabs are gone. That includes taking a tub bath. No lotion over the scabs but you can use some lotion away from the incision and scabs.
 
Steri-strips off my incision spot. Just a lot of scabbing and itching in that area. How would I know or when can I submerge that knee injury a pool, beach, tub or shower? also when can I also start applying lotion on that area?
Your incision needs to be completely healed, with no scabs at all and no open areas before you submerge it in water. You can shower now, as long as you pat your incision dry immediately afterwards, with a clean towel.

It isn't necessary to apply any creams or lotions to your incision. If your skin is very dry, you can use any moisturiser on it, once the incision is completely healed. You risk introducing infection if you do it sooner.
Massage post THR
 
Thanks for the info. Yes that area is extremely dry. I have cerave moisturizing cream and wasn't sure if I could put some on it but will wait until all of the scabbing is gone. Area also very tender to the touch and of course still swelling off and on.
 
Is it okay to vitamin e on the incision area or just nothing until all scabs are gone. Thanks in advance.
 
Back
Top Bottom