Guest viewing is limited

TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

Thought it was already doing double duty since it's been compensating for the bad one for some time now.
 
^Double and a half now? :heehee:
 
The pain is still hanging on. Hoping this ticked off knee will chill out soon. I keep doing the ice and everything else but am so miserable right now. The extreme heat is not helping either as the ac doesn't seem to be helping much. This stupid thing that happened last night makes me feel like I took 2 steps back as far as comfortable level.
 
I've been told that if you don't bust your butt and let the pt bend and twist your knee that you'll develop lots of scar tissue and won't be able to bend or straighten knee at all. Then your os will have to re-open the knee to clean it all up. How true is that and how does having hypertension knees affect having a tkr?
Update on my incident from last night. Knee still killing me. Still swollen and sore. Go to os Tuesday, hoping it will be better by then.
Gonna attempt to close my eyes though I don't know how long that will last.
Night all.
 
I've been told that if you don't bust your butt and let the pt bend and twist your knee that you'll develop lots of scar tissue and won't be able to bend or straighten knee at all. Then your os will have to re-open the knee to clean it all up. How true is that
It's not true at all. It's a total myth.

Bad scar tissue (adhesions) is actually quite rare, in spite of what the therapists say. It isn't just waiting to pounce if you don't exercise enough.

In fact, doing too much exercise, over-working your knee and making it hurt will cause your tissues to get angry, hot and inflamed. Hot tissues are often more dry than normal tissues and that dryness can increase the likelihood of getting bad scar tissue. There is no need at all for your therapist to even touch your knee.

It sounds to me as if your PT therapist is trying to frighten you into working harder, with the threat of more surgery if you don't. Try not to listen, because she/he is wrong. I think it's unprofessional and thoroughly wrong to try to frighten people into working harder.

There is absolutely no need to rush to get ROM (range of motion), no deadline by which you must achieve it, or all is lost. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

What a lot of PT therapists do not seem to realise is that it isn't exercise that brings back your ROM. It's time and the reduction of swelling. The ROM is already there inside your knee, just waiting until it can show itself.

and how does having hypertension knees affect having a tkr?
I'm sorry, but don't understand your question. Can you state it a bit more clearly, please? Do you have hypertension, or is that meant to be another word for something to do with your knees?
 
Thanks celle,
Appreciate the information. As far as the other question. I've been told that both of my knees are hyper extended meaning they are pushed back past its normal range of motion from a straightened position. Does having a tkr correct that or cause a problem.
 
You don't even need to take PT. I have had 11 knee surgeries with no PT. Just daily living and doing the things you want and need to do will bring your knee back to where it should be and with no pain. IMO it's all about money. Even if you go to pt you will see that you can do the same exercises at home for free. The internet is full of exercises you can do for just about any body part rehab.
 
Well that's definitely good to know. Everything is about money these days. Can't wait for the pain to be more tolerable and swelling to go down again. I'm just very miserable right now. Go to os tomorrow for a recheck. Have to get refill from him.
 
I've noticed that when I start falling asleep i will have spasms in my ankle that will jolt me awake. Is this normal and why is this happening?
Thanks in advance.
 
I have found that it's only at night that I feel the Lightning type jolts in my knee and leg. But they are not spasms.
 
I have an appointment with the os tomorrow morning. I have been writing down things to ask. Is there anything that you guys would suggest I ask while There? Thanks
 
Glad to hear that they'll go away. It was freaking me out.
 
The spasms are a strange sensation, they would wake me up, and sometimes it would happen when I was awake just resting.
 
Usually happens when I fall asleep and causes me to wake up. When I attempt to bend knee at night I feel an intense burning sensation and then it's hard to straighten it again. Every night and new adventure. Frustrating as hell right now. Want to scream and cry at same time.
 
4:50 am and as the new usual up and in pain. Got about 2 hours of sleep. Have my os appointment today. I am utterly miserable right now. Something has got to give soon. Thanks for letting me vent and whine.
 
So sorry this is so rough for you at the moment. At this stage it sometimes feels like it will never be better, but hang in there, time will heal slowly but surely. Good luck with your appointment.
Tabby xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom