TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

Don't put anything on your scar until it is completely healed. Otherwise, you risk infection. It's not worth it to take the chance.
 
Don't put anything at all on your incision until all the scabs are off.
 
Thanks for speedy replies. I appreciate it all the help. I won't put anything on it until scabs all gone
 
Having one of those rough days. Knee has been swollen since I got up this morning (not saying I really had much sleep to begin with). Didn't do anything that I can think of that would be considered overdoing it. Lots of ice on my right now.

Feels like you take one step forward and two steps back. Just needed to vent.
 
I'm sorry it's been a swollen, bad day for you. I found there was often no reason for unexpected swelling/pain, especially at this early stage of recovery. Your soft tissues are still suffering from the trauma of surgery and trying to heal, so icing, resting, elevating is the way to go for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
 
Thank you, can't wait for those good days to be more than the rough ones
Doing the icing and meds but not much of a relief as of yet.
 
My leg feels so swollen and hard. Have ice on it and took some ibuprofen. I place an ice pack wrapped in a small hand towel to place on my knee. The problem I find is that sometimes I will have a burning sensation. I don't understand as the ice is wrapped in a towel and not placed by itself on the leg.
 
Are you elevating your leg high enough??? That may be part of the problem.

For the first 3 weeks after surgery I had nerve pain, and it felt almost like a bad sunburn all around my knee, my OS gave me meds for that, is this a new discomfort or have you had it all along???
 
I had the sunburn feeling slightly off and on but lately it's been more intense. Everything bothers it. A blanket touching it, the ice pack, simply touching it . I have an elevated leg rest pillow. What type of meds were you given? I really thought that it may be because of ice but like I said I don't apply the ice directly to my knee without it being wrapped in a towel.
 
The doctor put me on Gabapentin 300 mg twice a day, call your OS and ask them if that may be the problem...good luck and I hope you better soon!!
 
I've found as time is going by that those burning feelings have been decreasing for me. Hopefully it will be the same for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to speak with doctor though I may try answering service tomorrow.
 
Many of us still have that burning sensation off and on. I do. Sometimes I do and other times I don't. And I agree with you that even having a sheet touch it can be uncomfortable. I found that after a few minutes the ice would help that burning go away as long as it was on it. Instead of having it all the time, like I did, now it's about half the time. Since I know it's normal, I just try and ignore it. It does become less intense as time goes on. So it will get better for you!
 
Hope it becomes less. Between that, no sleep, swelling and the slightest thing brushing against it aggravating it. I'm going bonkers.
Just finished cooking dinner which though it tasted good was not a good idea as now I'm in more pain then before and more swollen.
God I can't wait till this something in the past.
 
Can only elevate my knee for short periods or it starts hurting. Is that normal?
 
Can only elevate my knee for short periods or it starts hurting. Is that normal?

I never experienced that specific to elevating Bebita- only when I didn't. Looking back to where you are in your recovery I remember if I did anything more than going to the restroom and by the kitchen to get my next ice pack I was hurting whether my knee was elevated or not. I think many of us will agree that being up and on your knee other than what is absolutely necessary at 4wks out will cause it to hurt for hours after you get off of it.

Recovery can be a slow & boring deal complete with anxiety. However, the closer you follow those BoneSmart mantras the better it will be. And I promise- it passes and you will be so thankful you went through recovery to be able to walk again without pain!

Hang in there.. we're here for you-!! = )

[Bonesmart.org] At home  TKR recovery questions<
 
Last night and so far today has to be by far the worst so far. My leg is hurting all the way to my shin. I'm icing it, have taken ibuprofen and a percocet. Running on empty with no sleep and pain. Guess that's what I get for cooking dinner yesterday. This truly stinks. I have not had this much pain since the actual surgery. I am totally miserable.
 
If you're elevating with your leg perfectly straight, that can be uncomfortable.
 
Elevation was not totally straight. The pillow is like a slanted wedge. From knee down straight. Above knee bent. Comfortable like that for short periods of time then it just starts hurting.
 
I found at times that it helped to ice my entire leg to diminish the pain. My shin would always hurt a lot and it seemed to help. You might want to give it a try. Give your OS a call and let him know if you are still having so much pain. Perhaps he can suggest some other meds or combination of meds that might help you more. I hope you feel better.:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom