TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

You would have had a spinal - I don't think anything you thought you felt would be real!:heehee:
 
Josephine, I read on this site that "several" tourniquets were applied during surgery...I did not realize they were both applied to the thigh.
All who have had a TKR know that I was referring to the vice "feeling" that grabs you immeadiately after the block wears off...and remains for weeks!
 
I read on this site that "several" tourniquets were applied during surgery
Where did you read that? I don't recall ever saying such a thing - or seeing anyone else say it. It's not big deal really, but I'd like to know.
I was referring to the vice "feeling" that grabs you immediately after the block wears off...and remains for weeks!
That's post-op pain.
 
Ah thank you. It doesn't say that any more! I think Ref wrote that because he had both knees done!
 
I'm very frustrated with my stiffness and lack of sleep at night. 3 weeks and 2 days since surgery. I'll have very decent days and then very tough ones. I go back to os on Tuesday for i guess it's my 1 day before month check up. Don't know if I should ask for something to help me sleep at night and I'm hoping I will be able to get a refill on my pain medication. They don't stop giving it to you at a month do they.
Not sure what I should expect during os visit or what exactly is should be asking him about.
Wondering how long before I can drive etc.
Thanks for listening.
 
You are still in that very early angry stage of recovery. Sleep for me took a while for me to achieve. Sleep whenever you can right now. The stiffness can be caused by even just a little bit of swelling in your knee. My OS has told me that it can continue to happen for up to a year but should slowly decrease over time. I now find that if I've done a lot of things on one day that my knee swells and feels stiff. I also am stiff when I first stand up but within a few steps the stiffness subsides.
 
Thank you. I am very stiff in the am when I first get up then as the day goes on it will get looser then stiff again. Would have to say night and first thing in am worse. When I do fall asleep for the hour or two I find that my ankle will tend to have spasms on occasion which I found strange. Really hoping os will give me refill for meds cause right now that takes the edge off. I feel like just sticking my leg in the freezer as I'm always icing it throughout the day and night. I know that I do still have swelling on that leg as well as some bruising. The back of my knee feels like a knot and I have to try and massage it when it gets to tight. Feels like it wants to rip apart.
 
I'm very frustrated with my stiffness and lack of sleep at night. 3 weeks and 2 days since surgery.
You are in the middle of what we call the "angry tissue" phase when all your tissues are reacting to the assault of the surgery. Like a toddler having a tantrum, they will let you know they are unhappy!
Don't know if I should ask for something to help me sleep at night
If you are having problems with sleep - which is not unusual at this stage - then you should look to your schedule of pain management. You should go back and read my comments to your questions (remember them?) and think again about what you are taking for pain meds. My guess is that you are not taking enough.
They don't stop giving it to you at a month do they.
I wouldn't think so. Most TKR patients require pretty rigorous paim meds for 2-3 months. For my first knee, I actually took it for 4 months! It is different for everybody.
Not sure what I should expect during os visit or what exactly is should be asking him about.
Mostly it's just for him to assess you and make sure you're not having any serious issues.
Wondering how long before I can drive etc.
Driving's not till around 6 weeks. But this also includes being able to make an emergency stop.This can be difficult if you can't move your foot quickly from gas to brake. It would be just terrible if you knocked down a child or a dog who ran into the road because you couldn't get to the brake fast enough, wouldn't it? That's what you need to think about rather than a date.
 
Well this knee is definitely throwing tantrums. I was trying to stay up during the day so I would be tired at night since I would be so tired but that's not working. I will be asking for a refill on the pain meds.

Just wanted an idea as to time frame of driving and work. I know at times I'm jumping the gun and trying to get ahead of myself with the recovery. Just get impatient. Think I would seriously lose my mind if it wasn't for you guys. When I'm down you guys try to help me see it's a normal part of the recovery. When I need advice, you're more than willing to offer me some.
 
It depends on which knee you had done. I had the right one, and the OS told me six weeks. I waited until almost 7 when I was sure I could do a panic stop. My first day of driving was this past Tuesday and I felt like a new woman! It no need to try and rush it. You can't. Your knee will take as long as it wants.
 
I was lucky that it was my left knee. I started driving at two weeks. You also have to take into consideration that you shouldn't take narcotics when driving. I was still taking one at night to help with sleep. As others have stated you need to be able to quickly be able to stop your car just in case.
 
I was trying to stay up during the day so I would be tired at night since I would be so tired but that's not working.
No, it doesn't work because you're misunderstanding the reason for the sleeplessness. It's due to unmedicated pain, nothing else. And did you forget or miss the bit in the mantra where it says "never stay awake when you can go to sleep!"? That means nap whenever you feel like it or can. Much better to take lots of cat naps during the day. Then you will be better able to cope with a disturbed night.
Just get impatient.
It's a very common problem. It even happened to me!
Think I would seriously lose my mind if it wasn't for you guys. When I'm down you guys try to help me see it's a normal part of the recovery. When I need advice, you're more than willing to offer me some.
That's what we're here for, Bebita. Exactly what we are here for.
 
OMG, I am in pain right now. Went to bathroom and when I went to get up the cart that I went to lean on moved a little and I don't know what exactly caused the pain but it hurt like hell. Very sore, swollen, I just took my meds and my husband just put ice on me . Of course not before he complained about me not waiting for him to make sure I was okay in bathroom. Don't think I caused any serious problems but definitely aggravated it right now. My spoiled knee is not happy and throwing a temper tantrum right now.
 
Everything is very sore, and tender, ice and elevate and make sure to take your meds!!!
 
Yup lots of ice, elevation and take your pain meds as needed. I found that within a day or two everything would calm down for me.
 
Ooooh! Easily done! And a short sharp jerk like that can really stir things up. But I doubt you've done anything to the actual knee. Just rest and next time, try using something stable when you get up, rather than something with wheels!
 
It definitely stirred up things. Hurting more so than usual. Been babying it more since it happened. Husband took wheels off cart right after that.
I will be resting and icng it more today.

Before surgery and all the issues with the knees I was told I have hyper extended knees. Which it was always more comfortable that way for me. Having this surgery those that change that leg to no longer be hyper extended. Left knee is doing a hell of a lot more clicking and popping since surgery on right one. Assuming somewhere down the road in will have to have that one done as well.
 
Your old knee might calm down as the new one starts taking on more and more weight. It is doing double duty right now.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom