TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

Hi Bebita, I also had TKR on June 30th, One night in care suite and home next day.
Very rough at first! But with 2x week therapy and lots of (on my own) home exercises...I am now at 111° bend and 0° Straight...Yeah!
Still have bruising, numbness, stiffness and pain on a daily basis....night time being the worst. I get around with a cane during the day (leaving it in next room often)...at night if I am unsteady, I will use the walker still. I ice after each exercise session and elevate almost always. The tightening behind your knee will disappear as the bruising heals... (probably from the tourniquet applied on the thigh). I am very diligent about doing my exercises and feel that is why I am having good results so far. It may hurt a little at first, but I find it disappears about 5 minutes in. And then things begin to flow. I even have climbed onto my big ball for stretching and yesterday, I went to the gym (between therapy appts.) and used the sit-down eliptical (wonderful machine for the knees!) and treadmill. Trying to iron out whatever they did to my back during surgery, as that hurts more than the knee at times. I only use 1/2 an Oxycodone at night to help me sleep and during the day a few Tylenol and 1 Aspirin ...(Prunes and a warm liquid coffee/ tea work best for constipation). Good luck with your recovery, please feel free to share and compare notes...as we are only one day apart.
 
Kitty thanks for the reply. I was also only in hospital for the one day. I had actually regained feeling in my foot that morning and they released me in afternoon. My bend right now is about 95-98. Straight don't know how to measure that but can do that a bit while sitting in a chair. I do the exercises at home but have not gone to the outside patient pt yet. I basically use the cane though occasionally a little wobbly. Bruised on ankle and behind knee area. Pain is intense at night so sleep is a rare thing. Think the best sleep in had was during the operation. Ice almost always, have to find something comfortable to elevate with as a pillow usually hurts. As I said before tired of being tired. Want my home back in order, feels like a tornado went through it. Glad you are doing so well. Sounds like your doing a lot better than me. Keep it up.
 
Morning hope everyone is doing well today. I'm ok, today is 3 weeks since I received my new knee. It is definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions and pain but I know down the road I'll look back at this experience thankful for having it done as well as all the support that I am getting
 
Hi again Bebita, I am surprised that you have no outside therapy as yet... I started 4th day and go 2x week... that really helps!

I only take my narcotic at night, as it makes me feel sick, tired and depressed if I take it during waking hours. I am only on an aspirin 1x daily for clot prevention.

I am sooo happy that I went to just a small dose at night (along with my regular rx 5 mlgrm. Ambien). Good luck and blessings on your day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again Bebita, I am surprised that you have no outside therapy as yet... I started 4th day and go 2x week... that really helps! Hope you start soon.
@Kitty15 - what works for you may well not work for others. My own surgeon does not allow any PT until at least a month after a knee revision and his patients all do very well. PT in the early stages of recovery is not essential and too much, or over -aggressive, PT can actually slow down recovery.

Similarly, your drug regime may work for you, but it would be better not to suggest it for others.
 
I'm at week 5 weeks and now is when I feel I have a little more energy, I don't require naps anymore unless I over do it. Finding a comfortable position to sleep all night didn't happen for me until 4 nights ago, I still wake up briefly to change positions, it was miserable before that, I tried everything and nothing worked. One night it just happened. I no longer ice or elevate while sleeping, but I do it often during the day. I don't really have pain, it's more tightness and discomfort, I take Tylenol arthritis formula 650 mg during the day, and a Tramadol or one Oxy at night if I'm uncomfortable or in pain.

I still have some days that the knee feels better than others, I still have some swelling...the name of this game is patience, don't over do it, when you do, the knee gets angry and will let you know it, when you are good to it she will be happy, right now it's like a spoiled newborn baby :)
 
Thanks for all the support. I agree that right now my knee does feel like a spoiled newborn not giving much of a break. I think it's the feeling of being confined and not being able to to get sleep or get comfortable which makes me land up tightening and stretching things making it hurt more or feel more swollen are some of the things that are irking me at this moment.
I may ask my dr about the sleeping pills when I go next week.
 
They have been adding new (gentle) moves each time and quite helpful in encouraging my (on my own) at home therapy. Getting stronger and less pain each day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kitty 15 - there are probably almost as many theories about recovery as there are orthopaedic surgeons.

When did you have your surgery, and what makes you think you are ahead of the pack?
 
Thanks for asking Celle...(hope this answers your questions)...Surgery June 30th...It was actually my physiotherapist and surgeon that told me that I am ahead of the majority they see in recovery... 111° bend and 0° straight (as of yesterday). I am pretty much able to get around at will with or without cane ...have no bruising left and only mild swelling...and at this point, I need no help in dressing or doing my daily chores. I will not attempt to drive for at least a week....but otherwise (after reading about many others at this stage) I tend to believe them when they say that I am well ahead of the pack.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know that everyone reacts, heals and recovers at different rates. Envious of your rate of recovering kitty, hell yes, but I know I will get there as well maybe just not as fast. I appreciate the advice and information and in no way want any of this to cause arguments, competition or issues as a result.
I joined this forum to obtain advice and support from all of you who have gone through and experienced the things that I am and are feeling. I am grateful for all of your help.
 
@Bebita I took 2 benadryls at bedtime when I couldn't sleep, they are safe and not addictive, others on this site have used Tylenol PM, but make sure that if you are already taking Tylenol you count the PM ones also, you don't want to take more Tylenol than the allowed amount on a daily basis.
 
Is it normal for the leg to be warm and tender to the touch.
 
My knee was warm for quite a while post surgery. If it hurts more than it has you might want to call your OS and check with him. I found that the greater the swelling I had the warmer the knee was.
 
The entire leg? I know that my leg (calf and thigh) is still a bit swollen and tender and quite stiff... but it is only warm in and around the knee replacement area...(a pretty large area) because that is where most of the damage was done....but I know they did have tourniquets on thigh and calf... so there was lots of bruising and tenderness in that area also for a while. If you are worried it is something new or getting worse, or is on the list of things you were told to watch for... don't hesitate to call your doctor. You are listening to your body Bebita, that is so important!
 
Like you said it's the calf and thigh area. Not too much bruising that I can see. I know a few bruises on calf area and on ankle and think back of knee but that I'm not sure. Supposed to go back to work on Aug 18th, so hoping that will happen. I know plenty of time before that date. Will have to ask Dr about some sort of sleeping pill to take temporarily.
Going to attempt to get some sleep so have a good evening and I'll touch base later
 
Aaaaaarrrggggh! What IS Perocet, Aleve, Tynelol etc? Doesn't anyone know we aren't all from the US? Perhaps telling us what the "generic" active ingredient of the drug would be better?

Sorry just painful. Not got much pain relief, just paracetamol (acetaminophen, for you guys in the US), oxycodone 5mg and gabapentin 300mg.

That's all I can have. [emoji35]. Yeah, I'm moody, I'm painful and menopausal and in this heat without air conditioning.......I feel like the need to kill is rising


Kate
Retired VetNurse
::Op date 20/07/15:: RTKR - awaiting LTKR
::Op date 07/07/2016:: LTKR
 
Aaaaaarrrggggh! What IS Perocet, Aleve, Tynelol etc? Doesn't anyone know we aren't all from the US? Perhaps telling us what the "generic" active ingredient of the drug would be better?
Unfortunately for us Brits, the majority of people on BoneSmart are from the US. Many of those who post don't know the generic names, and I don't think there's any need for them to look them up.
However, you could always Google the drugs, to find alternative names. Or, this is a good site for looking them up: https://www.drugs.com/

Acetaminophen/Paracetamol/Panadol/Tylenol - they are all the same drug.
Percocet- = Oxycodone + Acetaminophen.
Aleve/Naproxen = a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID).

I'm sorry you're feeling so uncomfortable. I hope you're doing plenty of this: rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock. At least the icing might help with the heat.
 
I am sorry that you are in so much discomfort. I caneed surely relate. Also sorry I did not list the medicine as everyone else does. I just naturally write what it how I'm used to. Try to think positive, I know that can be hard. Support is here.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom