TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

Well I'm hoping he'll have answers for me as well. Have to speak with him regarding work as well as speaking with my boss. Will let you know what the results are.
Gonna try and get some rest since it's off to work in am.
 
Thank God the forum is up and running again. I felt so lost without my friends here.
Well I went to the doctor yesterday and today marks 8 weeks for me. Doctor says my extension is very good and my bend is about 110. Says all the swelling and hardness/stiffness is from the scar tissue. Says it will take about 6 months before that has totally settled and stop bothering me. Says I can go back to work as long as I don't overdo and when I feel it's been to much to go home. Gave me a small refill for pain pills.

Well I went to work today and worked 7 hours. Not a lot of walking and elevated as well as iced throughout the day. Now I'm home and icing . Swollen and sore as hell. Playing it all by ear right now. Don't have extreme amount of days off to burn so trying not to use them all.
Keeping fingers crossed it will get better and not bite me in the butt later.
 
Good to hear from you, and good for you, getting the pain pills you need. Sounds like you're watching and listening to what your knee needs.
 
Trying to but it's hard sometimes as it's not as fast as I would like. I know it's still early in the game of recovery and I have to keep reminding myself that fact instead of trying to rush things. I still get down about things on occasion but know that is normal too.
Everyone here has been so supportive and helpful during all of this and I'm so glad the forum is up and running again.
 
110 bend at 8 weeks is very good. You are doing really well, and don't get down on yourself for not healing faster. You are ahead of me and I'm 4 weeks further along than you. We all heal at different speeds. And your speed is fast! And going to work already is amazing! Keep up the good work, but don't overdo. Your knee will rebel, and that's no fun!
 
Rebel seems to be a mild word for how it's rebeling once I get home. Kicking myself butt with soreness, swelling and the zinger pains I get. Trying to fight through it though very hard. My boss, the principal of the school says I am so stubborn, she just doesn't want me getting hurt. My 10 year old granddaughter is coming with me to work tomorrow to make sure I don't overdo it. She's one of my parole officers lol. Gotta love them.

Thank you for the encouraging words and hope your recovery goes well as well.
 
Good to hear from you and so glad the forum is back online. You have a good report and, like others have said, we can't compare ourselves in healing. There are so many factors to take into account. Can't believe you worked 7 hours! I'm still suffering from major fatigue. Be careful and rest when you can.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Bebita your a week behind me and ended up going back to work even sooner than I did. This past Monday was my first 7.5 hr day of sitting and mtgs. Had my leg down all day, it swelled, came home to ice and elevate. Have worked about 3-4 hrs each the past 2 days to just be ready for the start of a new school yr, and coming home to elevating and icing seems to be working pretty well for me, your leg looks great compared to my large scab that I have directly on the top of my knee. Up to a few days ago while doing p/t and exercising it had drainage to it. That seems to have finally stopped, thank god. P/T recommended to get some butterfly strips and pull it shut and put 2-3 across the wound and it seems to be working, it's still getting air where it's allowing it to dry out and scab over. Trying to keep things directly off of it, as anything over it causes a moist environment under it and keeps it's from forming a good scab. I would think yours wouldn't need you to do anything with it, other than to keep it clean from what I can see in the photo's. Would love to be able to rejoin the water aerobics class, but with my knee still healing no chance of that for a while, think it would be really beneficial tho. Hang in there, if your like me right now when I get home I am expecting more out of my husband in the line of help again. ( which I feel ok about if I can get out and put a half to a full day in that's alot of effort on my end.)
 
Well another 7 hours of work today. Definitely taking toll on me. Icing right now. Didn't bring any meds with me so made it rougher.

Still have a very small scab and sometimes it feels like it's wet but can't find any wetness on the area. My husband has checked as well. Zzevi, yeah my husband has been picking up lot of slack but feel bad since he works nights. I just want to enjoy the pool but have to wait. Good luck with you as well and try not to overdo it.
 
Rough day today. Could only do 4 hours of work as my leg is killing me and swollen. I guess knee is really rebeling on me. Thursday will be first day of school. Don't know how I'm going to pull it off. Will try to do my best without overdoing it.
 
Nancy, you know what to do now, ice, elevate, medicate and rest! You'll be better later on and much better tomorrow!
 
I'm sorry your knee is so bad right now. Remember you aren't 8 weeks out of surgery yet, so being active is going to be rough on it. I didn't want to use a ton of sick days, which is one reason I went back to half days. Two weeks of half days was just 5 sick days instead of 10 and it gave me all afternoon to rest, ice and elevate. Would half days be possible for you?
 
I asked my boss about it and will have an answer next week. I think she'll be okay but have to wait and see.
 
Hopefully you can get to be able to have half days off so you can rest your knee feel better.
 
Yes, if you can go back partial days that might help avoid a crash and burn where you wind up having to take off full days in a row.
 
Yeah taking full days off will really stink. Hoping to speak with my boss tomorrow or the next day as they will be in and out of meetings for the next couple of days as they get ready for start of school.

I'm paying for it this weekend and I only worked a total of about 20 hours. Zingers a lot and not to much sleep.
 
What a tough painful week so far. Lots of swelling and zingers 2 days till start of school. Been working between 6-7 hours a day. 10 year old granddaughter has been going with me and helping me with the work. All bosses at meetings so really unable to speak with them.
Husband just picked up doctor note stating only able to work half days for 2-3 weeks as well as refill on pain medication. So nowI have to speak with bosses and give them note and take it from there.
Just don't want it to effect my job.
 
I'm sorry you're caught in this dilemma, @Bebita . I hope your bosses will be accommodating.
Your knee needs that extra time, so it can recover properly. Overworking it now could slow down its recovery.

We usually recommend at least 12 weeks off, and then a Phased return to work
 
Hope everything goes well today and you can speak to administrators.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom