TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

I've found lately work is about all I can accomplish, weekends I catch up some of the other household task. I continue to rest as much as possible each day after work. Meals have been super simple or take out. Just being up and about takes a toll and requires a lot of energy. If your just part time now, spend as much time as possible taking it easy yet.
 
I agree, work definitely takes a toll on me. Simple meals or takeout is what we've been doing too. I basically stay as long as I can make it at work and then go home. Both at work and home I still elevate and plenty of ice. Forever always icing. Since I work at my grandsons school he has taken it upon himself to gather daily reports on how stubborn I am or how much I overdid it so he can report it to his grandfather. I spend most of the weekend recovering from the week while trying to gather my strength to do another week. The colder and rainy weather lately is definitely not helping and seems to make my knee feel worse.

I also just found out who the maker of my knee replacement is. You think I would have asked sooner but it never crossed my mind. Anyway it's made by Smith and Nephew if that means anything to anyone here.

Well off to bed, my leg is hurting and I have work in am. Have a good night.
 
Hi all. Hope everyone is doing well. Just came back from my 4 1/2 month check up. Doctor says knee is looking good. Says it's now starting to look like a normal knee again.

I can honestly say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can also say that I can see myself having the second one done down the road, which is not something I thought I would be able to say or even consider. I have my good and bad days but more good. of course I still etc frustrated so I am not where I want to be still.

My bend and flex is great but I'm still having issues with the stairs. It hurts going up and down the stairs which is very frustrating for me. I'm walking alot better but will use cane once I've over used the leg. Dr as well as everyone else keep reminding me it's still only 4 1/2 months so still early (per them).

I am very thankful for my progress. I am also very thankful for all the help and support I have gotten from my family, coworkers, friends and everyone here in the forum. I really don't know what would have done without all of the support and answers to questions and concerns that I had and/or have. I am very grateful that I found this forum.
 
Sounds like you're doing well at 4 months. Stairs come later for some, remember recovery can take up to a year. Are you back to work full time?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, have been back full time for about 2 months now, though I've had dr. notes to work part time hours. I am getting the most stubborn patient award from Dr.
 
Hi, hate to bother everyone but have a question. I have been having a lot of pain (I guess that's how you can describe it). Whenever I lift with knee bent. Stairs are truly both painful as well as a chore. I'm on my feet most of the day, which I can tolerate but this bending while lifting leg I can't tolerate. I am at 5 months now. Is this normal and is there something I can do for it? At this point should I still be icing or do I use heat now?

Thanks in advance
 
Is it lifting straight up or sideways? My leg hurts when I lift my bent leg from the side. Straight up, I'm OK. If I'm lying on my left side and lift my surgical left while bent, it really hurts. If I straighten it out, it doesn't. Is this what you're having?
 
My OS pointed to some areas of my knee and described what happened to it both in terms of damage control and what he did. He told me that some areas would be a little touchy for a whole and why.. in terms of hammering shaving bone etc..

So any twings of pain are reasonable. Rather than ask a public pool you might ask your surgeon
 
I have been having a lot of pain (I guess that's how you can describe it ). whenever I lift with knee bent. stairs are truly both painful as well as a chore. I'm on my feet most of the day, which I can tolerate. but this bending while lifting leg I can't tolerate. I am at 5 months now. is this normal and is there something I can do for it. at this point should I still be icing or do I use heat Now?
I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.
 
Pain is when bent lifting. Example: standing up and lifting my leg while bent or moving it from side to side
 
So what have you been doing lately in terms of activity? Are you doing any exercises?
 
I go to work every 8 hour shifts. secretary in main office of elementary school . I sit then I'm up bending and constantly moving . I have to go up and down stairs twice a day . no regular type of excercising. if you know of one's that may left in appreciate it . walking is okay, my leg gets worn out by end of day but that's expected . it's the bending that I previously mentioned is my problem .

Thanks in advance .
 
I would like to wish a safe and Happy Holidays to everyone here.

At the end of the month I will be on 6 months recovery from my TKR Surgery. I'm walking without a cane, which is great. I still find stairs giving me a problem. It also bothers me lifting my leg up while bent. For the past days I have been experiencing swelling on my upper shin on that leg. I can't explain why this is suddenly happening. I not go to the os until next Tuesday.

If anyone can explain why this may be happening and what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 
I really can't explain why you are having those specific pains currently. You can try to ice those areas to see if it helps. I hope your OS can let you know the reason for your problem. If he doesn't answer your questions for you I would suggest you see another OS who is the revision specialist. He is used to looking at knees that may have problems post TKR.
 
Thank you for the reply. Really hoping it won't mean a revision specialist. Will keep you posted.
 
Your dr appointment is coming at a good time then. Let us know what he says.
 
Went to os today, he says I'm doing good. I need to strengthen my quads more which will help with lifting my leg as well as stairs. Swelling right below knee area is from ligaments being over worked. Apparently that will get better with time as well.
Hoping this all true as I just wanted to be normal, well sorta normal again soon.
 
I know it seems a long time since you had your TKR in June, but remember that it does take a full year for complete recovery. You're back to normal activity, but your knee hasn't finished recovering yet. Almost all the aches and pains will go away, as time passes.
 
Can't wait for that. I guess that's my problem, I'm back to doing almost everything like I did before do when the pain or swelling in not the regular areas start. I worry about what's wrong or what did I do to mess it up.

Thanks for the support and wish everyone a Happy New Year.
 
Just remember slowly but surely on the strengthening. You will still need to pace yourself for a while, but you'll get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom