TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

@Bebita I'll be watching to see how you come out, in some ways only going a half day would be nice and to ease into it. Tomorrow (Thurs ) is our first day also, I put in one full day a week ago and a couple days where I was in 3-4 hrs at a time. Excited and scared at the same time, scared it will be to much, but excited to get back into a routine. The nice thing about this week is 2 days of work and the holiday weekend 3 days to recovery and then a 4 day work week. We lost my direct supervisor (teacher ) over me and she hasn't been replaced, I can help and be helpful, but I can't pick up all the slack not right now. So it should be interesting. I would think with a dr. note they will work it all out with you.
 
Oh another thing I did for myself is picked up a box of sport injury ice packets ( the ones that are instant) Put them in my desk drawer at work for when I feel like I am starting to swell up and have time to sit with some ice. They were a bit pricey probably $ 9.99 for a box of 8 at the local Walgreens, that way I don't have to try take one from home and try and keep it frozen.
 
Sorry I haven't written, it's been a rough couple of days. First day of school was yesterday. It was a day of hell. Landed up working 8 hours straight with no lunch instead of half day. Attempted to put ice on leg when I could. To top it off my granddaughter just started the next level up in school which is a different school before going to middle school. Well she was nervous, new school and I'm not longer there with her since I work at elementary school. Well she got on wrong bus home. Husband was at bus stop and no child. So that was a panic as no one knew where she was. The bus she got on finished their route then dropped her off. Of course everyone looking for her no one was there when she was dropped and she was left there alone. Luckily someone who works in our complex and knew her let her in for us. Between that excitement and a full chaos day of work my knee was killing me to not end.
Today I only worked a half day and I'm still feeling yesterday's pain. Hopefully kids come home safely today just resting hopefully. No plans for me.
 
I'm glad your granddaughter is fine...get some rest and feel better soon!!!
 
What a horrible day you had. Thank God your granddaughter is OK! I hope you can get plenty of rest this weekend and Monday.
 
Thank you, we're glad it worked out but was definitely scary. She'll be 10 this month so being left at a stop alone scared her. With times being the way they are it's hard to believe kids can be dropped off with no one there. It's really scary to think about. I know there have been times I've stayed late because kids were there waiting for someone to get them.
 
Oh goodness, what a scary situation. Happy that all was well. Hope you are recovering from that marathon work day. The ice packs are a great idea.
 
@Bebita ditto here on first day, I also came home just wiped out. From start to finish had about a straight 9-10 hrs on my feet, came home had no interest in supper, just tired. Spent the evening on the couch recovering from spending all day up on my leg. Wasn't sure I was up to another full day again today, but as the day went on it got easier, came home not feeling as wiped out. Glad you followed your gut feelings and only put in a half day today. Glad for the holiday weekend to rest up. Wouldn't have been able to do a full first week, 1 full first day almost put me over the top. Here's to a better week next week. Enjoy the holiday weekend, take it easy.
 
It's scary when students are no where they're supposed to be. It always seems to take a few days to get the kinks worked out of bus schedules. My house is around the corner from a private high school and I've been able to hear the buses as they're rounding the bend. So strange to be home and not at school!

Will you be able to work half days and for how long?
 
Doctors note states half days until at least September 20th when I go back to doctor. I'm getting a hard time about it since beginning of school short handed. The secretarial staff that have been there longer pitching a stink about picking up slack yet have no problem dropping it on me. Boss says not to stress we'll work it out. Taking it one day at a time. Husband mad since I have a note.
See what happens on Tuesday when I go back to work. Just don'twant to lose my job. I like it there. I'm a couple of minutes away and my grandson still goes there which works out for emergency etc. Been there about 3 years now. I know clerical can be tenured but notsure how long that takes. Honestly if it wasn't for my insurance plan through school I don't think I'd be able to have had the tkr done.
Everyone have a safe, relaxing, enjoyable weekend.
 
Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. For the most part I stayed home. Wenot to Walmart for a few things. It would have been definitely cheaper to just stay home. Husband and grandkids were with me. When done we all hot loaded up in car and went home, where I then discovered that we never took my cane out of wagon. Needless to say someone made out with a slightly used cane. My husband had to go and purchase a new one.
Other than that we stayed home, which leaves me pondering what I did that has caused my leg to be intensely hurting me. The pain has been so intense that at times it feels like it did towards the beginning. Elevating and ice as well as ibuprofen and my pain pills.
Called doctor for refill and to find out about pain. Nurse called back to let me know i can pick up refill for my medication but unable to get appointment till next Tuesday. Said probably aggrevated it and to rest it. So I took today off from work and may have to take tomorrow off as well if it doesn't feel any better which totally stinks.
It is super sore, swollen and tight with a stabbing pain feeling depending on how I have my leg. If I try to straighten it after its bent oh my God the pain. When swollen it looks like something out of an Eddie Murphy movie the nutty professor the klumps.
Needed to vent
 
I am so sorry to hear about your pain. It doesn't take much to get these knees angry. I'm so glad you were able to get your pills refilled. They are getting mighty stingy with those.
 
When I first went back to work I had a lot of pain and sriffnessuffering and I still do when I work long days. Hopefully your knee is feeling better soon.
 
I found myself down right cranky after a long hot day at work. For the most part it's going ok, although I can see the benefits of a half day, I make it that far and seem tuckered out that last half day. I hear you Bebita as I also work for a school and I'm thankful for decent health care insurance that has allowed me to have my knee replaced. I'm also trying as hard as possible to not be a slacker and try and pull my weight, and for the most part it's going ok, but I am tired when I get home, spend most of the evening recovering from being up and about all day. Hope you feel better and are able to return to work soon, I don't count on doing anything other than getting my time in, Supper may end up being the husband's responsibility for a bit again or it may be take out. Spending the evening chilling out. ( it's been a steamy hot day here in the midwest, with the possibility of flood rains tonight and tomorrow. )
 
Pain is a tad less right now. Going back to work tomorrow. I'm assuming that the pain I'm about to mention has something to do with the scar tissue at least I'm hoping that's the only reason. Let me tell you that pain can be intense and a little scary. I will get this ripping sensation when I bend my knee, not all the time. But it feels like I'm ripping or tearing something apart in the inside. Of course I have to look to make sure it's not the outside.
I am still using my cane when walking. Is this normal? I can do short walks without the can but my husband swears that I will damage my recovering knee more if I don't use the cane. Can't ask doctor anything until Tuesday.
Some days I feel great and want to do a lot and then my temperamental knee turns around and kicks my button. How I can't wait for the normal days to be full-time.
 
I have the same noise getting on and off the floor. The ripping sound is scar tissue, over time it should smooth out, and happen less frequently.
Let us know what your OS says.
If you are limping you need your cane, to promote good gait.
 
Thanks for the reply. So this ripping sensation is normal. I'm 9 weeks today, so this ripping scar tissue and the swelling that accompanies it is not something to be too worried about? Is there anything I can do or speak with my doctor with in regards to it? I just don't want it to control me or affect my life and really don't want anymore surgery on that knee either.
 
Keep up with the cane as it will assist your gait. Otherwise you run the risk of limping by putting uneven pressure on the good leg to compensate. When you feel completely steady you'll be able to give up the cane.
There's no rush.
 
Does anyone know if it's both ok and safe to use a tens machine on your knees. Also someone mentioned to me that obtaining a prescription for steroids may also help with the scar tissue and pain. Has anyone heard or used steroids during your recovery.
As always I appreciate the help.
 
Others have used a tens unit and my pt used one on me. My understanding is cortisone inhibits healing, so I'm not sure that's a good idea. Steroids also may mask pain you're having which may lead to you doing more than is good for a new knee.
 
Back
Top Bottom