TKR At home TKR recovery questions<

Thanks for the supportive advice as wellas your experiences. Have been icing and elevating since I came home. Right now my leg is killing me. Really don't know what to expect for tomorrow. Either way I will continue with icing and elevation.
Hope I didn't go back to work to soon.
 
I find that if I get up and walk around the office,like once an hour my knee does better, but like I said this third week my knee behaved much better!!!
 
Thanks I will have to try that tomorrow. Glad that your knee has been behaving. Hope it continues.
 
My ankle gets quite swollen. More than my knee. I have to elevate frequently whenever I can. In the morning it is fine, but any time spent on my feet can make it swell.
 
My ankle swells a little but will start developing bruises while my knee just blows up like some helium balloon. The swelling never quite disappears when elevating just goes down a bit no matter how much I elevate or ice it.
Experiencing quick sharp shooting pain in kneecap area which is something I have not had before. I guess from being at work for a full time day. Well I hope that's all it is.
 
OMG Bebita, I have been having quick, sharp shooting pains in my kneecap too. They almost make me cry out, they're very painful.i don't know what they are....

Anyone have any ideas?
 
@mamazipp sounds like you're experiencing zingers. I felt quick, shooting pain, (but not terribly painful) that caused my leg to actually move or seem to. Could be your neves healing and reconnecting.
 
Well second day of work. Iced and elevated while at work. By the time I got home leg killing me. As I sit here icing and elevating I am experiencing those zinger shooting pain. Apparently I get these zingers while resting. Glad I'm not the only experiencing this pain though I don't wish it on anyone either.
 
Oh yeah, I'm still getting them, too. And some days are a lot worse than others.
 
I have a question and hoping someone may have an answer for me. As you may know my knee is forever swollen no matter what I do, sometimes more swollen then others. As a result besides my ankle having a bruise that goes in a straight line as if I have some sort of fracture in my ankle. My foot is extremely dry and skin is just flocking off. Really it's the whole leg but mostly the foot. Is this normal or is this darn swelling messing up my circulation and if so what can I do for it.
I go to the doctor on Tuesday but was hoping someone may know something about it. Thanks in advance.
 
Both of my feet peeled about 2 weeks after my surgery. It scared me, but nothing came of it and they quit peeling after a week or so.
 
I will be 8 weeks this week and it has been since surgery.
 
I experienced dry peeling skin on my TKR leg too. Since it was just that leg I thought it might have been related to the surgical scrub used pre op by both me and in the OR. I used a good moisturizer and it eventually stopped.
 
In the first week after surgery, I had tremendous swelling with dark black/blue bruising down the back of my knee ending in a distinct line around my ankle. I figured out that I wasn't elevating high enough or icing long enough. So, I started consistently elevating really high, with my heel above my nose on 3-4 pillows, and icing night and day; within a few days, the massive swelling and bruising dissipated. I'm almost 9 weeks post-op now and I still elevate high and ice whenever I sit down.

Lately, I've been getting really dry skin on my TKR lower leg. My OS will not allow me to get near the scar yet, but I've been using a lotion on my leg called 'Amlactin', that my dermatologist recommended. It contains Alpha-Hydroxy Acid, an ingredient that sluffs off dead skin and moisturizes at the same time. Don't use it on open skin, like after shaving, as it will sting!

Take it easy at school. I am a retired teacher and, in my experience, a school is an environment where it's hard to not get caught up in the busyness and lose sight of the fact that you are still in major healing mode. My OS does not like his patients to go back to work until 12 weeks.
Wishing you happy healing thoughts! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for all of the help. I'm not allowed to put anything on as an extremely small section of incision still has a scab. I will have to look into that product you listed.

School starts on the 1st of September and yes it's already hectic there. Doing my best to not overdo it. It's definitely hard as a swell up more as the day goes on. I elevate ad ice while there but being there definitely taking toll on me. By the time I get home I am sore and stiff.

Happy healing thoughts to all of you.
 
Is it possible for you to work mornings only for awhile?
 
Hoping your OS has answers for you. I do think holding off going to work or going in half days would be the way to go if possible.
 
I also had really dry skin, I used moisturizer everywhere except the knee area.
 
Back
Top Bottom