Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @lalo I haven't had any knee ops etc and I hope I don't have too! I will continue with the exercises you mention. I wonder if your knee going stiff is from the same reason mine ache, from the hip op, and all the pulling about that occurs when we are under.

Fingers crossed they ease up. I have just been able to lie on my sides although not for long.
 
@Suzette I've been occasionally having some knee "clicks" too. My PT said my patella isn't sliding in the groove, probably due to muscles compensating before and after surgery. It feels like something is "catching" or "sticking".
She had me do heel slides like @lalo suggested while lying on my back and it seems to "unhitch" whatever is going on.
 
Hi @DesertHorses that's how it feels. It does feel like they are going off on their own somewhere , which feels weird.
I am now going to be sliding my heels more :)

thank you both x
 
a bit of advice on the knee ache on what feels like the knee cap/clicking, now in both knees. Is this due to muscle tone being rather lax? So increasing quad muscles etc will help? Not sure how to deal with it
Don't deal with it! You're 4 weeks out. Rest is the best cure.
I have been doing heel slides when I'm sitting and when I'm lying down I turn on a side with pillow between my legs and real gently flex the knee
I wonder if your knee going stiff is from the same reason mine ache, from the hip op, and all the pulling about that occurs when we are under. I am now going to be sliding my heels more
Heel slides are not an appropriate exercise for hips. And the way to treat such an issue is with rest and time.
 
Hi thank you very much for the reply. I will continue as before and just use walking about the house as exercise.

Thanks again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to provide bad advice.
After reading Jo's reply I searched the site for recommended THR exercises and sure enough heel slides are not on the list; at least not on the early recovery ones.
 
@Suzette
I am at 10 weeks tomorrow and the aches and pains in my other body parts~ lower back, knees and ankle were /are results of learning to walk without a limp! I am still on a cane because my OS said to lose the cane when I lose the limp! He thinks a few weeks for me but I had 2 surgeries and a bit more complications. Two things that have really helped me~ new well fitting shoes because old shoes have your old walking pattern ~ask someone to video you walking so that you can see for yourself how you are walking and progressing. You are doing great! :egypdance:
 
@Suzette , please don't worry about the aches and pains you are feeling right now. Keep using your walking aides and keep taking your meds. Your body is recovering from major surgery. As Jo says, ease off those exercises. Walking is all hips really need.
 
Hi @Jaycey @Sullivand @lalo thanks for your emails:roseshwr: I will stop worrying about my knees.

Have been to docs and got more pain meds, also antibiotics as wound ends are not healing and are going a bit yucky and popping open. Also still going light headed and dizzy. They are not sure if its the meds lowering bp, so will monitor that, or whether still aneamic. Will be keeping an eye on things ..

Funny though @lalo all the stuff I have from the hospital says to do heal slides too. I did do some last night before jo's message and I did end up with hip throb and had to take a stronger pain killer.

So for now going to continue to practice my walk, heal toe etc i can manage really well in the house without aides and no limp...in the morning. Towards afternoon use aides as feel the limp starting. Use aides when out though.

When at the surgery the GP said none of them there had ever seen or heard of a bilateral hip replacement.

Didnt think it was that uncommon, maybe it is here in Worcestershire . So think they are on a learning curve too.

All in all things are going well compared with the first horrible 2 weeks.

Hope you are all well too

Xx:flwrysmile:

Ps am now going to be going new shoe shopping ..
 
Also still going light headed and dizzy.
I was majorly dizzy and light headed post LTHR. It was the blood thinners but I see you have already finished with those. Take it very easy - you don't want any falls.
When at the surgery the GP said none of them there had ever seen or heard of a bilateral hip replacement.
Hmmmmm, sure they are not as common as THR but not sure why they aren't aware!
 
Hi, thanks jaycey. I also thought that about the GP too, but the staff at the hospital were also questioning me whether I had my facts right and didnt 'just have' (!!?? Just resurfacing? That hurts too...) rather than BTHR. The radiographers wanted to know why I had bilateral, as they never do both, the PT didnt know what to do with me either!!

This was at a Royal orthopeadic hospital too, maybe the staff need to have a staff training day on BTHR from the surgeon !!

I had my last injection last night, so maybe this dizziness will start to go, as I am finding rather weird. It even happens when I am sitting or lying down.

Thanks again xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Josephine and @Jaycey . As this forum is so brilliant and helpful, I really do want to spread the word at the hospital (ROH birmingham ) for fellow THR and TKR people.

I will be telling the surgeon. But do you gave any literature, leaflets or posters available that I could possibly take there?

Thanks x
 
So glad you are getting the support you need from this forum. Here's a link from our Library to a poster you can print off. There is also a thread in our Library about our mission statement. Thanks for spreading the word!
 
Phew just given myself the last if the clexane injections. My belly is covered in little bruises and some big ones...I never did quite get the knack!!:snork:

I have finished mine as well thank goodness. When I was given the bag of a month's supply to take home I asked who was going to do it.Have to admit was not happy when I got the answer! I also look like a pin cushion but at least I did not have to wear the support stockings.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. Will take a look at the mission statememt and poster and get some printed.

I really think that if I had not read through other hippie's experiences and the tips everyone gives each other, and of course, from the great moderators, I really would have been extremely anxious, stressed and depressed.

The worry I had about not improving with in days !!! Not doing enough exercise. Not understanding pain control and keeping one step ahead of the game. I wouldnt have known its perfectly normal to have aches in my knees and various other places, all if this and more, would have driven me insane if I was coping alone.

I am very happy at the progress my hips have made and I do not get too far down in the dumps, when I start having pain again.I just come here and start to read and post and soon the great people I have met are replying with encouragement.

All this because of the superb support Bonesmart offers along with all the great hippies.

Great site and great people. Cheers to you all
xxxxx :cheers:
 
@Suzette , I finally got a chance to read thru your entire thread. You've had quite the adventure, haven't you?
Mine seems milk toast by comparison, lucky me. You are a serious trooper!
Sounds like you're getting better and better in these later days.

You are very right, the support and info from the folks on this site are invaluable and steadying influences. I had that one bad emotional day a week ago, shared it here, got support from several people who 'get it', and then 'up' from there.
I almost feel normal at this point, only a week or two away from functioning near normally, excepting high intensity athletic stuff, which I'll patiently await more deep healing to do. All the normal life stuff is easily doable as of today....BUT, I know that if I have any sort of relapse, this is the place to share it!
 
Hi @Dashinghippie , yes it was a bit vile to start, confused that I wasn't leaping about with hardly any pain!!! I was given the impression quick recovery and less pain, so that what I chose to believe, completely ignoring the fact I had 2 new hips which is major surgery. Whoops. Now I have accepted things the way they are everything feels so much more positive.
I walked the dog around the block for the first time today, with one crutch for my still painful right hip. All :doggie:ok until I had to poop scoop. ..I only just managed to get to it !! Unfortunately bending to get it started the throb and ache off again. Will now have to rest it again!!

But all in all and happy I am out of the worse bit which was the first 2 weeks, and looking forward to getting back to normal and building my muscles up again.:yay:

I am glad you are progressing so well too and wish we had some sun here, although not a 100 degrees, it's been horrible the last week.
x
 
@Suzette please make sure you have the right poster. I just this minute changed it!
It should be a PDF file
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom