Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing you a better day! I walk like frankenstein at 3 wks with only one leg done when not using aides. I find the walker allows me to walk most normal of the cane, crutch, walker choices. Cumbersome for sure but less pain and more activity makes me happy. Hang in there.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Tweefishy thanks for your message. They didn't lend me one of those as they said I was ok on crutches. Trouble with those...you can't carry anything. I too look unusual when walking with no sticks!!

Still I recovered from the initial pain this morning from walking about. Pain relief and icing did the trick and at the moment all seems ok besides a bit of a throb.

have a rest full day/evening. Not sure of the time difference:flwrysmile:
 
I was on crutches for 2 mos before surgery. Look on Amazon for crutches accessories. Velcro bags (for about 10-15$) that hold drinks, phones, meds, books. I got one 'big' square one for book, notepad, phone, meds, and one slimmer to hold a drink. Get the ones with Velcro that folds over the crutch handle otherwise they fall down and trip you, no bueno! I also bought cups with lids and sports bottles. Even a normal travel coffee cup can go in the slim drink holder bag and not spill. For bigger stuff, back pack. Sandwich baggies will be your friend for carrying food! Wasteful sort of but the only way to carry food on crutches. You can always reuse many of the baggies. Telling you, life saver!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh :wow: @Tweefishy I had no idea you could get accessories for crutches. That will be my mission tomorrow. I do have a bum bag to put stuff in but keep forgetting where I have put it. Bit daft considering I should be wearing it thanks for the info X
 
I didn't either!!! Was shopping Amazon for the raised toilet seat for after surgery and the crutch accessories came up as a suggested product. I was so excited to carry things I bought them instantly. You can even get plastic clip on cup holders for the crutches but I stuck with a bag on each crutch designated for different items via size and shape. What a difference it made! Worth every penny but like I said, cheap-ish 10-15$.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Can't sleep will have to get some of that benedryl .

So today is Friday early morning and day 25. I made a decision this morning, well yesterday morning. ... to try not to walk like frankenstein, a penguin or lurch. I think it was jaycey that said sometimes we do that because we walked a bit like that before the op, so learnt behaviour :idea:. I spent a lot if time today trying to remember to walk tall and as normal as I could remember , that was tricky as I had to keep asking people if I was walking in a normal way as I really didn't know what normal was!!

I even did a bit without crutches. Although I am waiting for the after effects of doing this, as I am now feeling a bit of a throb. But I feel good, in the sense that I nearly know how to walk normally:dancy: for short periods of time anyway.

In fact I seem to have muscles in the back of my thigh that forgot they were there, that's where the throb is.

Tomorrow will be a resting sort of day as not wanting to push things too much, too fast, too soon. Especially after doing not a lot for 25 days..

But I feel a light at the end of the tunnel moving a little bit nearer, knowing that there are still lots of things going on inside that are still repairing and will be for some time.

Fingers crossed in the morning, if I get to sleep...I won't be in agony and be in the 'done too much again' club :ice:and be sat on the ice......

See you all tomorrow

Xx
 
Hi Suzette
Its fascinating seeing your recovery. When you are in it, it seems so long but reading it and seeing your op date was 15th June that is really quick. Its brilliant!
 
@copsham thanks although I really am not going to be over doing it. Read too many stories on the forum of doing too much and messing things up. But I seriously didnt think that things could have moved so much away from the horrible week one and 2 to being into week 3 and things changing again.

Just hope things continue. I am also really aware of not doing an injury like your foot or nearly falling over etc.

Hope you are ok xx
 
Benedryl in the uk doesn't contain diphenhydramine! ! But Nytol original or sleepeeze do and those are from boots. Sleepeeze is boots own so its cheaper for the same drug as nytol original

X
 
@Suzette Great job on keeping a slow ,healing recovery. After a year of core , upper body, now i am starting to come back with my leg strength. My mobility is good, my thinking of hips when i move is still there but only at work. So, keep on moving and having no setbacks is the order of the day!
 
Well @copsham I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and not really stressed, will be thinking of you and your foot tomorrow morning.

So good luck and hear from you soon for an update

Lots of love Dawn X x
 
Thanks @Michegon , I was lucky today that I had not suffered from the oops I over did it.
That's a good idea about the core upper body then legs. Both my legs are loads thinner than this time last year and I have seriously lost my bottom!! I have not lost my belly though:heehee:

So a slow build up of muscles for the next year, coming up.

I am desperate to dig the garden too.......but I definitely won't be, but ooh it is a little frustrating.

Another day tomorrow and hopefully a nice one

X
 
@Jaycey hi not sure if I have the right person, but am I right to think that I read somewhere on the forum, thats its normal to have knee ache and the occasional click, weak knee feeling? Both knees feel rather weird today!!
Thanking you x
 
I realized that you have responded to my posts and I had not read your recovery experience.
That was quite a rough start!
So sorry for what you had to go through.
Glad you are doing better now.
 
@Suzette
I had quite bad knee pain after my THR & was advised it was caused by my bad gait pre op.....I used crutches for 6 months which corrected my gait & got rid of my limp....l still have some knee pain however, even after 22 months....but...no hip pain at all!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @lalo oh no worries, you're still early days yet, after your op, I am still catching up with everyone too! Yes it was a bit horrible, If I had read the forum before I went in I would have been aware of asking for the correct pain relief. Instead I go and ask them to take the morphine pump away, as they were constantly concerned with my blood pressure, which then concerned me too.

Still nearly 4 weeks later, and I am not sure where those 4 weeks have gone, things are on the mend and pain is under control and in fact, my left hip doesn't appear to have any pain at all. But my right hip still does, especially if I am not careful, so is still the one causing all the problems. It is getting better though, which is good. I hope your pain us under control?

@Hoppy Nanny, thanks for your reply, I bet that's what mine is too then, I used one stick and occasionally crutches pre op, but also had a habit of walking, or rather shuffling around the office, when at work, I expect that didn't help!!

Fingers crossed it doesn't linger as long as yours has.

Xx
 
Hi @Josephine a bit of advice on the knee ache on what feels like the knee cap/clicking, now in both knees. Is this due to muscle tone being rather lax? So increasing quad muscles etc will help? Not sure how to deal with it
Thank you
 
Phew just given myself the last if the clexane injections. My belly is covered in little bruises and some big ones...I never did quite get the knack!!:snork:
 
Sorry that I can't be of much help here my knee is tight instead of loose.
I think you had orthroscopic surgery on both knees?
I had a total replacement on mine around age 56 (that would be after 3 prior surgeries at ages age 20, 40 and 50)
Mine has improved a lot but it is still very stiff in comparison to what it was before the THR
I have been doing heel slides when I'm sitting and when I'm lying down I turn on a side with pillow between my legs and real gently flex the knee
I don't think you can turn on your side because you have a double THR?
I find that the gentle movement provides some relief
I have recently asked my wife to massage my knee before going to bed and it feels wonderful
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom