Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi the one on Jaycey ' s link was a doc you had to copy and paste onto word. That must be the wrong get one. I will do a search for your new one unless you can give me a link
x
 
:dogwalk:@Suzette
I am laughing about your poop scoop adventure because I went through the same thing! After my doggie decided to poop in the house on about week 3 and no one else was home~ I cried and cried about it because I couldn't reach it~and he was so sorry~ I regrouped and found a scooper with a long handle on it! It works great and I don't have to bend over to pick up! Naturally little doggy has minded his manners since I bought the trusty tool!
 
Hi @Sullivand , I would have cried too!!

So thats it then, a long handled pooper scooper. It was also tricky to scoop as I was holding a crutch and the lead too.

That was something I hadnt planned for either!!
 
My older dog vomited in the house twice in the first two weeks after surgery! I was soooooo happy my parents were still staying with me to help out. Though I doubt they knew that's what they were signing up for!
 
Sorry I shouldn't giggle :heehee: but dogs are sometimes little pests x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well day 31...I feel rubbish. Yesterday I felt great, actually left the house, crutches in tow, usually sticks, but as usual...I had forgotten where I had put them

Had a Subway, covered in salad , chicken and loads of olives, which are horrid tasting but addictive too! I am also easily pleased, hubby wanted to go to pub! Also got some comfy loose fitting wide leg elasticated waist trouser thingies :happydance:

Am now aching. I must be at that 4 week downer stage .

I tried for the first time last night, to sleep with out a pillow under my knees. Now have lower back ache, also my left hip is aching as are the muscles, the left hip/leg never aches. My right hip muscles ache too. It does feels like muscle but its quite a good pain score of about 6. . I did too much again, didn't I:headbang:

I think I slept on my sides too, which I dont normally do, my right side is not good to lie on. So that hasn't helped.

Only managed 4 hours sleep again. This is driving me mad. Will try and get some more now to catch up.

My wound infection is clearing up and the ends of the scar look much better, even the big lumps are going down..although do think some stitch just came out. So I feel thats a good sign really.

Am keeping on top of pain meds but so far this morning, they havent reduced the throb/ache and it is constant. Will now consider next lot of pain relief options.

Never mind, things will move on the up again. Trouble is, I am getting towards the end of the sick note, well it doesn't end until the 31st july, but its creeping up fast, so that will be 7 wks off work. Its stressing me out.
Do I need to make a decision about work yet? Am pretty sure my boss wants to know, but I can't tell her, as I don't know myself :shrug:

Thought I would be back by now...now I don't want to go back, feels too soon especially when on a downer. Yesterday even considered starting some work next week.

I think I am rambling, thats the pain meds but I also feel annoyed with myself too. :bawl:

Think I will have a rest day and keep medicating...with a pillow under my knees....phew Am so tired and miserable...:yawn:

Xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to see you taking a temporary set-back !
I'm at 3.5 weeks and I ice almost all day and part of night
Are you icing ?
It really helps .
You still have about 2 weeks before going back
It may be a bit early but are there any options ?
In any case you don't have to make a decission today
Remember one day at a time
@Suzette
 
Hi @lalo thank you for your message. Guess what, as I thought I was over the worse bit and took it for granted things were not going to throb again. I completely forgot to put my ice packs on. You reminded me. Thanks for that.

Will do it right now .

Your right, i need to just think one day at a time and stop worrying. Funny though I have read quite a few times hippies on here have the 4 week plateau. .think I caused it though.

Lesson learnt!!

Hope you are doing ok. How did you get on at the out patient clinic?
 
@Suzette I called this stage the one month slump! Things progress pretty quickly up to this stage. Then things get frustrating. The heart says go and the body says no! Worry not - recovery is all about finding your limits and trying again another day. What seems impossible one day is very easy another day. Hang in there!
 
It went real good
Met with head therapist/owner
Went over personal history
No plans to do any weight bearing till cleared
All exercises on table
- quad abduction ? ( tighten/ hold/relax)
- leg curl no wt lying down
- leg curl no wt sitting
- squeeze ball between knees on table
Applied some heat pads and the electric stimulation (stem?)

A heck of a lot less than the home therapist was doing
Also, no heel slides
Arguably, I could do these on my own and not incur the cost
But I don't have the desire to convince my Doctor that I don't need PT
 
Hi @Jaycey thanks for your message.you are certainly right there, my heart definitely said yes, my body has really said no! I obviously do need my supervisors around to rein me in, when I am pushing my luck:bignono:

@lalo sounds like you are very happy with the outcome, they sound very good to have listened to what you had to say. At the end of the day, if you dont want to do all of them when at home you don't have to. Don't do what I have just done though :)
 
@Josephine just a little advice on muscle atrophy, when you have a moment, please.
I am on a bit of a downer, which is normal at just 4 weeks post op it seems. Having different pains now from last week and from over doing things other day, resting sorted that out. I am following the only hip exercises needed, which is walking, and which I do around the house without aides, ensuring posture, heel toe etc. Still bit dodgy going up stairs with right leg and outer hip pain. Downstairs is fine. Do not want any of that groin pain some hippies are getting, so chuffed that I have so far avoided that.

Not doing any PT other than bum clenching/pelvic floor. Taking meds regularly.

My concern is now that I am loosing muscles tone in both thighs, bum and now it seems calf muscles. Will this be detrimental to recovery and when should I attempt to try building these up again before they totally disappear. Do have mini exercise bike, but havent used that yet.
Thanking you
 
Hi @Suzette - I know what you mean about the sore areas and then the secondary muscles that might be getting weaker from lack of use (before and after the op).
To tackle that problem, I decided very early (~day 3) to work all of the muscles I could work (pretty hard), as independently of the sore areas as possible. So, essentially what that meant for me was to work everything like I did *not* have an operation, while protecting and resting the top of the thighs and the outer (esp the right) hip muscles, which were very sore and swollen, etc.
That's allowed me to get much stronger than probably is usual, so the 'off' muscles could and can still do much of the work for the several beat up and swollen ones. Drugs (Perc/Trazadone for >4 hrs sleep; and tylenol/naproxen for daytime) were used to minimize pain to allow me to sleep but also to work out with more intensity than the doc or PT guys thought was 'normal'.
The result is that now after day 21, the beat up thighs and hip sides are now starting to loosen up and work for me, and I'm now even starting to work those, even if a little uncomfy here and there.
I have zero idea if that approach would work for anyone else, but it's worked great for me, and most people can't even tell I had 2 hips replaced. At duplicate bridge on day 21, multiple people said, "I thought you were going to have your hips replaced a week or two ago, did you just get better and cancel it?"

Don't know if any of that would help anyone with any ideas, but I hope so...cause it's pretty damned miserable if the recovery is not working well nor quickly. I'm impatient, as I assume many hipsters are.
Sleeping on the back with legs up on pillows gets old *REALLY* fast, at least for me.
Hang in there...it'll come, probably in waves of goodness.
 
Hi @Dashinghippie that is actually very interesting, as I was reading an article earlier today, on groin tendonitis and psoas problems etc and they were trying out exercising the muscles around the area of the psoas, to allow it to rest and heal ...something like that... havent quite remembered the techy words for it...they had not had a THR though but had labral cyst.

Anyway the other muscles that were being worked on, started to support the problem areas until they were sufficiently 'healed' to be bought into the PT, which was some 6 weeks later.

So there is something in what you have described. Not being an exercise 'at the gym' type person, havent got a clue what needs to be done to build up supporting muscles. Am seeing surgeon in a few weeks and I will be enquiring about using the hydrotherapy pool they have at the hospital . ... I fancy a bit of swimming.

We used to have a victorian natural brine baths near to where I live and which were used for years for PT and healing purposes. They closed it down due to it being old and the local authorities decided it wasn't worth saving!! Built houses on top it.

Disgusting. Every one was horrified. They are now thinking of re opening something similar, but it wont be in the style of the original victorian building, but something is better than nothing and to make use of the naturally occuring salt springs we have.

Other than that, I rested up what ever I had managed to irritate the other day, things are loads better and I actually realised, whilst I was in my lounging around position, I was lying on my side!! Phew, will be doing that instead of knees up and on back . Lets see how it goes.

Thanks for your input :) and keep up the healing and bridge playing. I did a girly thing and had my hair done:happydance:looks ok too.

Have a good night or is it day ?x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Jaycey @Jamie please could you change my thread title as I don't feel like a Newby any more !

could it be
Bilateral Anterior 15th June 2015 - my recovery

thanks x
 
My concern is now that I am loosing muscles tone in both thighs, bum and now it seems calf muscles. Will this be detrimental to recovery and when should I attempt to try building these up again before they totally disappear.
It will be detrimental in that it won't be allowing the rest of you to rest and heal. You see, people have this tendency to imagine this surgery to just be about the hip(s) and that the rest of the body is still okay but it's not. A hip replacement affects ALL the body as you will remember from the recovery articles you were left, specifically the Energy drain for THRs. If you over do things, you deplete the amount of energy you have and that can and will, influence the quality of the recovery.
To tackle that problem, I decided very early (~day 3) to work all of the muscles I could work (pretty hard), as independently of the sore areas as possible. So, essentially what that meant for me was to work everything like I did *not* have an operation
You were lucky to get way with that, my friend. Perhaps your young age protected you but for the average hippie, they would have quickly run out of steam and suffered some unhappy consequences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom