Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi josephine thanks for the reply. You are awake too!! I am still just walking for exercise. I have definitely felt the energy drain, not helped by the not sleeping well at night. Trying to catch up in the day.
Today has been really draining and all I did was get my hair cut !!

I will concentrate on the hip bits healing and sort the rest out later down the road to recovery.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette Hi. Your body will bounce back once you heal. So many use the, no pain, no gain, attitude and that's fine for some people. When your life force is healing the post-op tissue it needs lots of rest and quality fuel. When you work out you actually create micro-trauma to the worked area sucking that life force away from your surgery. You seem to be doing quite well, so keep on doing what you're doing.
 
Hi Suzette just jumped to your thread which reminds me of some of the difficulties most of us face. What I found hard a few weeks post op is that you are not ill and I know I felt that i had had enough being a bit incapacitated. I also felt a bit of a fraud, making all this fuss. My norm would have been "get a grip" "snap out of it" and such like - which would not help my hip at all. I did learn the meaning of the word patience though. It is a matter of pottering on and with in a little while the developments will start again.

I love swimming and enjoyed hydrotherapy BUT swimming does not come in to it in the hydropool! It was just a matter of very gentle exercises supported by the water under the direction of a physio. It felt good though.

Don't worry about the "atrophy". as you improve, you will start doing more walking, more going up and down stairs and that sort of thing. My muscle tone came back helped by going swimming. It's a shame they demolished your Victorian salt baths!

Reading your thread I felt "don't go back to work" and "tell them you cannot go back until at least mid august" and "just take the pressure of yourself". Even writing all this a little voice in my head is telling me that I am a slob to hold these opinions LOL. Take care and lots of TLC being sent your way!!
 
Oh @copsham thank you for the TLC and for putting into words exactly how I feel..not ill .... A fraud...you and @Michegon have put things back into perspective and I still need to learn 'patience'

My walking with no aides, around the house is great, no pain. Hence the feeling of being a fraud ! The lack of sleep, no appetite and aches and pains in the places not expected and energy drain, is the feeling I now have, and there's me thinking yeah, I have 2 new hips that are working great :egypdance: and now all this other stuff I wasn't totally expecting,:unsure: even though I have read all about it on the forum .

I feel that the only explanation of having sick leave, that is understood by colleagues, are pain levels and walking ability. Everything else that goes with the recovery process, is not understood. My thoughts too, are to accept it the way it is, take the pressure off myself and extend into mid August. The projects that are already lined up for me will have to wait or someone else will have to do them.

Today I will chill and try to catch up with sleep. Thank you all again xx
 
Hi @Suzette
If you look at Isolde 's thread. You can see her process of getting back to work and surmising that she might have gone back to soon. x
 
Hi @copsham I will certainly do that.

Oh yes I have read the thread. Will keep an eye to see if she replies to you. Fingers crossed isolde is ok
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette
Curious, have you tried sitting at a desk and doing any work on a computer ?
I did yesterday, probably for over 4 hrs and butt and back sore
Have done some today being careful to maintain good posture
And get up every hr or so
Not as sore
I'm trying to gage when I might be able do any sustained computer work
 
Hi @lalo , that's something I need to try out, as at the moment just sitting for too long gives me a cramp feeling in my hips. So I need to try a higher chair. Before my op I had to sit on one of those chairs/stools, you kneel on, as I was unable to sit on a normal chair.

Tomorrow I will try that out to see how it goes. Thanks for advice. When are you thinking of getting back to work?
 
@Suzette
I was thinking 8 to 10 weeks before going back to work
and then not full time
I'm fortunate in that I have lots of accumulated sick time
But, this week I got a call from my boss and he asked if I could help out on a part time basis working from home.

Yesterday I spent about 6 hrs sitting and was in pain last night
Did about 3 today and watched posture so far ok
I'm tempted to say find somebody else but boss has been real good and if I can find a good balance (which typically doesn't exist );
It helps me to stay busy because I quit worrying about the whole thr issue .
Gona see if I can delay decision till later this week so I can be accurate on how much time I can do without pain

Since my thr came about as a result of an I jury, I'm not used to being in pain while sitting.
I think that that is my most feared aspect of this surgery and recovery; that from now on Ill have some pain while sitting
It really scares me
 
Hi @lalo I too have accumulated sick time. I was quite shocked to find out I have up to 12 weeks, my aim was to go back at 6 weeks. I can easily walk about at home without aides and with no reminders of my hips, but I do have to remind myself not to twist, or rush things. Once I feel any sort of ache I stop. Most of the aches are now when trying to sleep. Not good. Assume that's from doing too much in the day.

I am more aware now of exhaustion at the same time as insomnia. The energy drain. This is the main concern now for not feeling I can manage work by 6 or even 7 weeks. I will definitely try doing what you have and see how many hours I can sit and also focus. Then maybe work from home for some hours a day , increasing until I can sleep and be alert during the day, rather than the other way round.

I have read quite a few recoveries on the forum and things do get better with the aches and pains and also sitting. So fingers crossed:fingersx: we will be fine x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Jaycey and @Josephine just a little question. I am finding that when I lie on my side, after about 10 min, I have what feels like cramp/burn in the bit at top of outer hip and bum cheek, or sometimes one without the other. I have looked on the forum and can't find anything specific other than piriformis and or bursitis. Sometimes I can't move my leg if it's in the buttock muscle.

Am I doing too much walking (I don't limp) causing the above ..... The cramping does not occur any other time only when lying on my sides.

My Mom would now be telling me '... well stop lying on your side...' But sometimes I am not aware I do that in my sleep until it wakes me up.

Thank you for advising and telling me what I possibly should not be doing :)

An update . Its 2.34 am cant sleep due to both buttocks throbbing whilst lying on back. Tried sides can't do that either. Will ice. Have feeling I did too much walking about today . Occasional sciatic pain but I also have L4 l5 problems /stenosis.
thank s
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette I'm sorry to hear that even lying on your back is painful! That's not fair! What are you supposed to do? Hover?? Levitate???

Can you increase your pain meds at night to help you sleep?
 
It could very well be that you did a bit too much exercising and that's giving you pain. You might try a heating pad at the small of your back. And try a pillow or two under your calves to elevate your lower legs a bit. If you haven't taken anything for the pain, do that as well. It's pretty normal to need something to help you sleep for a while in recovery.
 
Hi @agileHippie and @Jamie thank you everso much for your messages.

I did eventually feel like I was levitating and hovering once I had taken some oromorph! Then woke up less than 2 hours later, and it was light and the birds were tweeting!! Still feel rather groggy, so will try and get a bit more sleep. Once I have had a cup of tea:)

I agree with you both about doing tooo much walking, I think I gave my bottom muscles a wake up call, and went over the top with out realising it.
That was my enthusiasm from having the sun shining here at last :SUNsmile:

Agilehippy , have ordered a fitbit pedometer, so I can keep an eye on what I am doing. Just need to decide how many steps I should allow myself.

I will also increase pain meds from around tea time, before any muscle pain decides to kicks in, as it did last night and take amitriptyline to help with sleep.

Thanking you again for your replies. I will now get off and do a bit more floating:chillpill: with some pillows under my calfs and heat pads.

Xx
 
@Michegon My butt cerainly feels as if it has been kicked. It actually reminds me of the butt ache I had once, after attempting horse riding.
Yes I think I have rediscovered muscles I forgot I had!

Hope you are well :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Insomnia is so bad....I'm walking in my neighborhood at 1230pm. Can't sleep, anxiety is on overdrove, just so many things wrong right now I feel like I'm losing it. Will probably watch TV until it's light out. Ug. Hang in yourself @Suzette!
 
Hi @donor was still awake at 4am woke up at 6...Am finding this part of recovery hard to cope with. In your case you have that awful groin pain and huge anxiety and stress.

I just have throbbing bum muscles from over doing it, but that pain is no where near that groin stab, mines more like a right ' pain in the bottom.........'

I really wish that the surgeons out there would read this recovery forum and find out the real facts and be honest with people.
So when I go for my 6 week check on friday I am taking with me loads of posters for bonesmart and will put them all around the waiting room with the magazines and any where else I can find. People need to have us and bonesmart to help them through the rubbish days.

Am hanging in there with you and be careful out on your walk if you are alone xx @donor x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette It sounds like you have a plan for getting ahead of the pain/insomnia cycle. Good for you! I was doing well last night to go to bed at a sensible hour. Only took be jarred awake by a rather noisy storm at 4am. Sometimes you can't win!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom