Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Suzette wow you have had a time if it. Seems like everyone who has no clue what a joint replacement is likes to put in their two cents. I am on vacation with my brother- in- law and he told me that hip replacement is no big deal..his daughter's father in law was playing golf in two weeks after his. Sometimes I wish I could well you know. I hope you can find relief. I have bought a wide assortment of pillows for sitting. My favorite is a big thick, tufted pillow used for outdoor furniture. I also sleep with five pillows each night. Whatever gives you relief. I still only sleep about five hours. I know it will work itself out and really send you the best hugs and thoughts. This stuff takes time and is not as easy as everyone thinks. Thank goodness we can vent freely on this site with compassionate folks to support us. Good thoughts and hugs
 
@sunbunny Your comment about everyone having a view made me laugh out loud and almost spill my porridge! From the strength sports world the old joke is amazingly similar - everyone knew someone who could bench press monster amounts of weight in their basement but never went to contests as it wasn't their "thing". I'd love to meet some of these two week recovery people one day, maybe they can bench press as well

@lalo That sounds like a horrible period of time & I hope it hasn't set you back too much. In relation to the nerve pain I read a link from Josephine recently about the different nerve runs and differentiating the pain, I'll dig it out and link it in a mo. Keep the positive vibes going, upwards & onwards !

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This was the picture I was thinking about, not sure now if it helps but I suggest tagging Josephine if you want to pursue

[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
" .... what happens when they dislocate the hip to saw the head of the femur off and all the stretching and pulling.....that my muscles are inflamed and that bothers the sciatic nerve etc..hockey person agreed.... "
I love it, they couldn't argue with that! You giving that description was second best to them watching the you tube video! If nothing else it feels that your boss will be more careful about what she says and does. You really dealt with it well. I wish I had been a fly on the wall for that meeting LOL. But more seriously you have made a marker that you are serious, are not going to be treated badly, can hold your own, but care about doing your best, all in a professional manner.

Hurdle number one dealt with. Now the next!! Look after yourself.
 
Seems like everyone who has no clue what a joint replacement is likes to put in their two cents. I am on vacation with my brother- in- law and he told me that hip replacement is no big deal..his daughter's father in law was playing golf in two weeks after his.
!

It sounds like he needs an enforced watch of the youtube video! Maybe he did play golf but maybe he was taking morphine at the time, maybe he over did it and vowed never again, maybe its an exaggeration! Oh well we have to put up with it. I think it is similar with all injuries but because hips and knee ops are so common they are presumed to be inconsequential!

I have a Lisfranc injury (foot bones and ligaments broken ) and quick healing is 4-5 months and many people longer. I have had comments like "maybe if you ignore it and get on with it (ouch) it will be okay" "when I broke my leg it didn't take that long to heal" 'why don't you see an expert who will be able to heal it quicker"

Oh well you ignore you minor hip op and I will ignore my inconsequential injury. Stop making a fuss about nothing uh? x
 
Hiya Suzz omg you are the girl. You nailed it, well prepared and done in as much of an objective way. Your boss was on v thin ice and I'm sure she knew it if not HR will have passed it on. The whole idea of the now Fit Note is that the employer has to where possible make the work place meet your needs. Also re driving nice one. You are well liked here and I know I wouldn't be the only one worried about you driving. Three nights in Liverpool hey oooooo party time. Nice one lass you deserve the hugs.

Lalo the others have said it right re muscle and nerves, I would ensure GP knows as if it continues you may need medication for it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham thank you for your message, I must say I surprised myself, first time ever I have just said how it was and how to deal with it. Think boss was a bit taken a back. Yes I graphically described the hip op, thought it was about time. I am now prepared for the next hurdle, as there will no doubt be one!!

@sunbunny It is very strange how people think it's a case of 'pulling yourself together and getting on with it...' some people just don't seem to understand that comments like that are REALLY irritating, oh yes a hip replacement is easy, no after effects, pain is gone and there you go, you look fine and can't even tell you have new hips... sorted. @copsham getting better and back to walking about after a broken foot bone, in a place that is rare for a break, required loads of metal work to hold it together is also simple, NOT. Our feet take our body weight on such a small surface area....The bones need to be strong and healed to enable them to move all the time when walking. Recovery has to be slow to get it spot on. I do hope you are managing with your blow up support thingy.

Apparently the tiredness after a major op is probably how you feel after having a cold....I won't say who said that yesterday...

@Legin yeah I think I may have nailed it, I also have a feeling that HR lady may have said something before I arrived at the office. It felt good to get it off my chest , so things can go forward without the sarcasm and comments. Phew.. oh yes I have heard Liverpool is the place to go, although not quite sure what I could do up there on my Todd, but I may well have a look round to see what it's all about.

@AndyH99 I like that diagram, it does explain a lot in respect of the nerves and pain, in relation to where those big nerves run in relation to all the muscles.

I was saying to @lalo that the chiropractor felt that my tingly nerve pain down the right leg is caused by me and my muscles. After I explained what I did Sunday to avoid sitting, ie I managed to stand and walk over 2.5 miles with out even leaving the house, other than going in the garden...and then had to take tramadol when I decided to risk sitting......... because I have weakened muscles in the right leg, because I didn't sit still all day, because I didn't relax and rest these muscles, my hips and my back, and due to my changing gait and new stresses and strains on weakened and tight muscles. ...I triggered the more severe pain when I eventually sat sit still due to the muscles protesting at the extra use, not helped by the lack of glutes, when I sit, I am sitting on the part of the pelvis that the sciatic nerves run through and then which runs near the piriformis.

So I am to lie down more often and give it all a rest, and strengthen my core muscles, glutes and quads and stop IT band and piriformis stretches for now.....then she deep massaged all the hurty bits and made the eyes water...I am still feeling the throb!!

right I need to research an office bed/ chase longue ..... now that really won't go down well :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette laying down helps me too. Do whatever works. Sending good thoughts and hugs across the pond. A lot of my issues were aggravated by my unstable l5 disc and the left hip deteriorating caused my gait to be awful. Which in turn caused the back to act up. A vicious cycle. I think you are experiencing a similar cycle. I really hope something gives so you can get relief. I really believe our body seeks less pain and will compensate to achieve this sometimes in a negative way. hope tomorrow is better!
 
Hiya Suzzz go girl go. That empowered feeling is pretty good isn't it. You so have it right re core muscles. I think all pre opp people need a wee info on core muscles and how it works from top of body to foot, so one area not working right affects the whole straight line core. So as we improve in the operated area we need then to looknat how related muscles were and are affected in this process. I'm really happy for you tho lass as the office both physically and emotionally were a major burden for you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Suzette I am so pleased at the outcome of your meeting! Well done. And no, my sitting has not improved much. I have started to carry a sofa pillow with me in a big plastic bag where ever I go. This enables me to sit about 30-45 minutes at a time in most regular chairs. I just apologize to whoever I'm with when I have to stand. Last weekend I watched an entire movie at the theater standing in the rear aisle and taking walking breaks. I really, really wanted to see that movie! I'm always so glad to get home to lie down and ice.
@sunbunny Isn't it just wonderful how everyone has a marvelous recovery story about a friend. So helpful to ones moral. Not.
 
Hi @sunbunny I think you are right. I too have the l5 problems and had bad sciatica down the left leg, then the left hip went. Am beginning to think the 2 are linked, compensating for the back problems and walking strange , then walking even more strange when the hip started. Now my right leg is the pain, but it's getting there. Am sure the deep , ooh that hurts, massage has helped a lot. now I am am hoping that the nerve blocks I had in my back and which I thought hadn't worked, because the hip pain had also started but we didn't know about the hip at the time !! Time will tell....and I am am now lying down resting....nice

@Legin yes wish I had known, but I do now, so as I am lying down I can practice a few of them to get things started.You just do not realise just how much being out of balance with muscles etc, causes so many problems.

You are right, sort the hip out and start that on the straight and narrow and something else pops up instead. And it's all about balancing it all out, starting from the bit in the middle!! I hope you are ok and that foot isn't really really bad x

@nochoice, well am glad you got to watch that film, such a shame you had to do it standing up. I find those chairs in cinemas uncomfortable at the best of times, and there have been a few films this year I have wanted to see, but haven't risked it. Although I hadn't even thought of standing up, I bet that was hard going though, good job you moved about a bit. It's getting the balance right, although as yet, I don't know what that is, stand up, sit down, it's up down all day. .... but I have some blocks of wood and a shelf and I am charging my electric screw driver up, and I am going to make my own stand up desk tomorrow, in the office....will probably need to get there earlier to do it in my time....she was in a right moody today, again.

Maybe if it works, I will take a photo!!

And an update the day after the core muscle exercises, acupuncture and elbow massage!! Is, my bottom has reminded me it is still there, but my right thigh, isn't too bad, my back aches a bit. I realised how stiff my back had become when doing some ROM exercises to try and loosen it up.

So now I must get on with the , pull the belly button in hold and tilt the pelvis down slighty and hold, then try to add some weight, which is to bring my knee up slowly... right then, here we go ....
 
Chortle, sounds like an IKEA flatpack destruction manual. Foot is fine as long as I don't think about it. Being a simple chap thinking isnt my forte
 
That's excellent @Legin that thinking isn't your forte, just imagine the consequences. ...I was of course joking :snork:, honest x

funny you mention ikea, there are lots of you tube videos using ikea stuff to make a standing desk....that will be the next thing I try , dread to think what it will look like by the time I have created thus master peice ....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What creative people on Bonesmart! When we face difficulties between us we find answers. Right on Suzette!
 
Omg I just types a comment a Dr made about me and thinking well brain and next I read what would happen if I used my brain......... So chortling at the thought of the trouble I could get into. Please I beg you pics of desk makeover have to be posted.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well I know its rough and ready but am quite chuffed with my work if art!! Took me 20 minutes to make it. But it seems to do the trick.. .

Its not fault my desk is a mess...well it is my fault , I will tidy it tomorrow x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery
    20150910_132310_resized_1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 223
Tut I always HV bits left over, the special spare ones. Tree tum teee

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So, @Legin and @Suzette, would you say building core strength would be the most important thing to work on during my PT sessions? I'm starting 3 times a week (was only going 2 times for the last 10 days or so) for the next 8 weeks and want to make sure I'm correctly directing my physical therapist! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom