Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting for any length of time is a challenge for any new hippie. I bought several wedge cushions. A higher one for my desk chair and a wedge and back support cushion for my car (deep bucket seats kill me). You just need to try different options. Can you raise your desk at work using bricks or wood?

Are you working limited hours? You really need to ease into work.
 
Thanks jaycey. I have ordered a osteopath cushion with a bit cut out for the coccyx. And it has ....apparently....bottom support. So will see how that works out then may try a more of a wedge shape.

I started a phased return a few weeks back. 1st week 1 day (7.5 hrs) split, then 2 days (15hrs) split into 3 x 5 hr days, that was last week. This week I am doing 4 days covering 22.5 hrs . So today I sat and stood for about 6 hours.

I am not sure what to do about my hours as I have spread the return over 4 weeks. And boss seems to be getting a little irritated with it.....hence the meeting monday.

And...

My bottom is still aching now!! Even pain relief doesnt ease it. Mmmm ice pack?

I will see what I can do with my desk and also see if I can get a 2nd hand standing adjustable desk.

X
 
May seem a strange option but take a look at a pile ring. Also, from working with a number of disabled sports people over the years they recommended to me a lamb skin covering for any long term cushion in use, the skin with the wool still on can help prevention of pain and sores. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck with getting work going again, but don't let it screw up your recovery


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @AndyH99 thanks for the info. Am sure I have seen those with the lambs wool covering. I think I am going to have to have an amazon night!! But not for ages. I drive myself mad as I have to check the reviews too!!

Hope your aches and pains/4 week slump is easing now x are you sleeping yet?
 
@Suzette sadly not yet, but such is life. I'm keeping up with the snoozes though so not getting too cranky - at least no one is telling me I'm too cranky yet, grumpy yes but not cranky


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Suzette Just had to chime in on the difficulty sitting. Me too! From the first day post op, sitting has been difficult. First the butt pain, then thigh and still groin. And I am retired so thankfully don't have to sit at a desk. But so many things we do involve sitting besides driving or riding in a car, watching tv, eating,etc. I could always understand problems walking, but sitting! Never even thought about it. Now I have to stand or lie down to be comfortable. Wishing you a good night Suzette and a nicer boss. Also that one of those cushions works for you. I can't even count all the money I've spent on drugs and equipment that I thought might help. A few hits and many misses! Bit cranky tonight I'm afraid. :kickedout::tantrum2:
 
Good for you re cutting down on exercises with work etc you are already doing loads. Re err your glutes I had the same, doing the one check balance on chairs. Could you apply some of that ibrufen gel stuff in so going straight to the area of greatest need. Re desk would it be possible to put a coffee table on the desk so you could stand. I really am in awe of you pal as you are a trooper battling thru pain. If your meeting re driving long distances make sure they give outcome in writing as if they are demanding you drive under circumstances that long periods of driving effect your ability to drive and therefore have no insurance. Good luck lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My bottom is still aching now!! Even pain relief doesnt ease it. Mmmm ice pack?
Can you buy instant ice packs and have them at work? Yes, icing regularly will ease this as will the right cushioning.
but don't let it screw up your recovery
I'm with Andy - you need to focus on getting this recovery right. Phased return and easing into full time. You only get one chance at this.
 
I'm with you re amazon review thingmabob I can tell when its supplier or friends of who do review I also google the product. I know I'm das - sad backwards

Legin THR Sep 14
 
hi @nochoice it really is a right pain, literally. I sit down stand up swing my leg about sit down again stand on one leg...just goes on and on! It is also a tricky one to explain, I am beginning to get used to the hip throb and it seems to be going away again quite quickly , but this pain in the butt just doesn't let up. I too find it more comfortable standing or lying.

So @AndyH99 I have now researched all types of rings to sit on, and have one in my amazon wish list !! ready to order if the wedge and the other cushion I have ordered don't help.

This certainly is costing a lot of money....

@Legin yes, I can tell with the reviews too, but I do wish I didn't have to read them all, so I am a das too.... and thank you so much for saying I am a trooper, that's really nice, I feel a bit of a moaner, but its has only been 11 and a bit weeks. The new hips are great, just this right side....could be worse though, could be both sides hurting or could have that horrid CRPS thing you have. Don't know how you cope with that. Can you control the pain?? I will get everything in writing at the meeting too. Am going to discuss it with my HR colleague tomorrow so I can get myself prepared re driving , sitting, standing, pain relief and driving laws and insurance etc. May also take a proper look at the Fit for work government site too.

I never thought about putting a little table on my desk or getting those instant ice packs. I am going to look at those now. The ice packs I have thaw after an hour so those instant ones would be good. Ok just bought some instant ice packs:ice: sorted @Jaycey

thanks for all your support, help and advice xx:flwrysmile:
 
Chortle, re das. Suzzz I'm a great believer in saying as I see, us the method of delivery varies but I'm a simple chap so have to say what I see. I know you will be fine as you are going in to meeting fore armed. Yes the pain thingmabob is controlled by me, breathing, diversion etc and often when I'm tired my skills to do this wane. Much is also about attitude glass half full etc. See I don't see you as a moaner you support many on here, but like any clever person you look for support when needed. Megga hugs to you lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh mega hugs to you @Legin it is mind over matter sometimes with pain and as you say a positive outlook. It must be hard to keep the diversions going when you are tired. How is your job going? Are you able to drive?

Had chat with collegue and now feel more positive about meeting. So am going in with the 'problems' I feel I am encountering but also with some solutions. Will also be discussing the driving long distances that have been booked in my diary and the potential for having to take strong pain killers to enable me to do the drive back....which obviously could be a problem in itself , and with insurance.

I will be trying to explain how, having a bilateral and getting back to work, be it phased, at 8 weeks was actually good going and for the companies benefit, not necessarily mine, especially with little sleep, the right sided muscle, knee cracking and piriformis pain, the energy drain, plus the difficulty I am having sitting for too long because it. I feel this actually needs to be taken into consideration, and I should not keep getting the constant sarcastic comments about my ability to do my job out on site, running seminars and covering an area upto the north of England, on my own, especially when I live in the midlands.

So I got home from work, had a cup of tea....and cut the hedge and the next door neighbours too, I did turn down her request to cut her grass, I mean, she's younger than me!!. That's enough exercise for today I think.

Rest nicely everyone xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Suzette just doing a bit of "catch up". Do take care of strong meds - not meant to drive with them!!!

In relation to your next steps in back to work and everything that entails, just remember, you've just successfully negotiated a horrible pre-op stress period, major surgery on both hips and the key first stages of your recovery - as you've managed that how much trouble can a few people, the boss and a couple of work related problems really be!

I just wanted to quote Andy's comment from a previous post as it is so relevant to your meeting. Just think of us all we will be with you in spirit if not in person. Look after yourself x
 
Sheeesh woman home from work and cutting hedges.......... Really glad you feel better about meeting, they are being unrealistic esp the driving. Ooh i can physically drive but i dont feel where my foot is on the pedals so i wont risk it as well say i hit a pedestrian as foot slips of brake. Have a grand weekend

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @Legin didnt totally realise you couldnt feel your foot either! Blimey thats really naff. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel with this ??

You have a good weekend too x

@copsham hope you are doing well . X

I keep thinking about the quote above. To try and work out why I am bothered so much by the boss and some problems at work, after having the hip op and all it entails....I think its causing me a problem because she just wont acknowledge the journey over the last 10 months and she will not communicate with me. So hopefully monday she will.

I have been there 6 years and the snidey comments just dont feel nice and hurts when its coming from the director. To be honest it makes me feel really uncomfortable, stressy and depressed. Words shouldnt hurt, as the old saying goes, but they do. Maybe I am overly sensitive lately. Which is no good as she dislikes sensitive people who take things to heart .....

Everyone else in the team is great, there are 5 in total in the office, and 4 out in the field. But I am office and field based. So I do both roles.

I will remind myself you are all with me in spirit xxx I will try and not be over sensitive. Ooh thats going to be tricky!!
 
Basically half foot is dead other half is hyper hyper sensitive so a wee knock feels like big daddy stomped it with heels on

Legin THR Sep 14
 
OMG @Legin that's awful , is there any specific medical stuff that can be used to help? Did the acupuncture person get back to you? X
 
Got copy of the OS letter to my GP, this was in respect of my last visit due to the right thigh pain, have raised ESR no mention of any other test results, which doesnt help. My white cell counts were high before, but this wasn't mentioned. A conservative approach and to have rehab by physio, he said..

Think I will pop to GP and ask them to do bloods, as the hospital aren't sending the full results over to the surgery. Am assuming possibly raised ESR if inflammation of muscles or maybe its the arthritis in back, who knows!! My legs are the same length though .....

Am testing out new cushions to see if that helps the butt muscles. I have 3 styles, mmmm not quite sure why I ordered 3
 
I really hope that you manage to get up to normal stuff today without tomorrows meeting thoughts butting in. Ooooops didn't mean the sitting problems.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom