Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Suzette
I have been a bit "out of the loop" recently just seeing the tail end of posts. Some thought about your meeting
1. Be sure to use words like temporary set back, my recovery, I am healing, the phase I am in etc, so that it is clear about the passing nature of your situation.
2. Have some clear requests eg being totally office based for a period or only drives of x minutes or whatever helps.
3. If they want to refer you to occupational health do not worry as 99% of the time they are really helpful.
4. If the meeting esp HR are helpful why not ask for a follow up meeting in x weeks time.
Hope I am not stating the obvious to you!

I will be thinking of you Good luck
 
Hi @Suzette , just catching up now I'm a little more human.

Just thinking about your challenges I still stand by original statement & agree with the statements @copsham has made in the last post. There is always a danger of such "interviews" or meetings becoming emotive and often the manager can forget the professional side and slips into a more personal style which is always a challenge, I know as I used to be guilty of such behaviours and they are hard to recognise.

Some key things I'd add
- As per Copsham's point, think about the syntax and semantics of what you are saying, phrases like "what can we best achieve for the team over the recovery period", "where can I add the best benefit to the company/team whilst phasing back into the full role". Positive phraseology is a very key thing, if it helps take a nose at the basics of NLP and the concept of the mental filters people have; once you work them out for a person you have some very powerful tools to assist in your conversations.
- Don't forget to reinforce the fact that you are still only weeks off of major surgery and any impact to your recovery would not only affect you personally but also the team/company for an extended period and it's best for all that the phased recovery supports the reintegration of you into the team so all the experience and knowledge you've built over the 6 years hasn't been lost to the team for a longer period.
- Occu Health and HR are your friends, the large majority of conversations including them when supported by medical fact result in actions beneficial to the employee. In blunt terms, if anything happens to you because they have forced certain actions then it's their heads on the block.

That stuff aside I hope you're enjoying the weekend and your recovery is still going well.

Have a great day & let us know how it goes.

PS - Just a thought, you could always give them a link to the "gruesome" version of the hip operation on Youtube and then talk to them afterwards :yikes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey girl- I tried trigger point therapy yesterday! The idea of being pain free was too good to pass up. I know it'll take more than one time but I do feel a bit differently today. As for the seat cushion, I cut a square out of the memory foam I took off my bed when I bought the thicker 4" one for surgery. Shoved it in a pillowcase and oila! Plus I took 2 thin ice packs to work to alternate throughout the day. Sounds like work is still drama. Me too. Stay strong!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hi again @AndyH99 and @copsham thank you so much for that. I am going to use the phraseology you have mentioned.I have written notes etc today and have tried to be on the positive and having solutions to any 'problems' I have. I have also just found some info on NLP. ..very interesting, I like that sort of thing and will read that in my 'awake but wish I was asleep' period tonight.

Thank you so much again for the tips xxx

I do feel rather positive about things after writing down stuff earlier then reading your message . I feel more focused on an outcome that will be beneficial to all.

Thank you all for your support @copsham @lalo @AndyH99 @Legin @Cynthia777 such a great site a d bunch of people who put things in perspective. .

@nochoice how is your sitting going? Today for me I got up and didn't sit down again all day ... well the sun was shining and the thought of sitting on my butt and the pain that arrives shortly after was just the incentive, not to sit but to stand. I had no pain at all pottering around the garden, no hip pain, no butt pain , no thigh pain . Until I sat down so then the pain arrived so I lay down, but because the sitting had already triggered the pain, I couldn't get rid of it. Had to take 2 tramadol that worked. It really is depressing !

Funny though @Tweefishy I was looking at my memory foam mattress today, which is propped up the wall not being used. It makes me too hot to sleep. I had visions of cutting it up to make cushions and wondered whether I should just do that and send the load I ordered from amazon back....am still thinking I should do that. I do hope the trigger acupuncture helps, I just think now, I will try anything to help things along. I really have no pain walking about or standing. Just this sitting down pain like a big cramp and then I get the sciatic nerve pain down my legs. I really wish I had more padding :snork:

I hope your day at work goes well and is less stressy, but don't over do it. @AndyH99 all I can say is don't go back yet, I wanted so much to get back at 6 weeks, when I got to the weekend before the 6 week mark I got so wound up with worry. I knew I just couldnt do it. Mentally and physically, I was not ready, trouble was I looked fine on the outside..

Hope you all rest well, lots of love to you all xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You make me smile when reading your post lass. Re errrr glutes pain it will improve are you doing any stretches for it, just gentle ones but enough to move them. Oh good luck today, big hugs

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thinking of you - hope all is well. You can do it - I know you will come out of the meeting positively!!

[Bonesmart.org] Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery
 
Hi @Legin , I have discovered from my hockey playing friend, she got as far as England trial team for the Olympics and then lost her place 4 weeks before it started, so I trust her knowledge, especially as she was lying on the floor in the office in contortions showing me what to do... so I have been practising a not so gentle version!! And 1 cushion is going back.....load of rubbish, so ordered another type. Will try the wedge tomorrow.

So sorry this is so late with an update on my meeting, thank you all for your special thoughts sent my way today

I wrote my appraisal form out, I answered all the guidance questions. I bullet pointed it. I put solutions to my problems. I read the NLP stuff. Printed 3 copies out, and off we went....... I got straight to it and was even confident and assertive. I referred to my notes , gave the solutions and erm, the boss said..... nothing.

She did get a little defensive a few times.....then apologised. When discussing medication and driving if it causes pain , she said, well maybe you shouldn't be at work at all then if it's that bad, wasn't totally sure if she wanted me to go off sick ??? I explained that the potential problem was getting me to drive , which possibly will cause pain which will then possibly require strong pain meds....which is not good.

As these are all possibilities , that we do not know what the outcome of driving is, at this moment. We are going to have a phased return to driving, AND instead of driving up to Liverpool / wirral area every day, I am to drive up , stay 3 nights then come home. Bit of a pain staying in hotel for 3 nights, but that is a solution.

I was asked why I was carting around 2 cushions ( the 3rd hasn't arrived yet) . so went into detail about the piriformis muscle , where it attaches to and what happens when they dislocate the hip to saw the head of the femur off and all the stretching and pulling.....that my muscles are inflamed and that bothers the sciatic nerve etc..hockey person agreed....AND ....I was the asked if I wanted a standing desk....:wowspring:

1.5 hours later, a few sarcy comments which I managed to ignore, then got an apology for, I have fully discussed my issues, lack of communication, put 3 procedures in place for the team in general, to help us all out and managed not to cry.

It felt good. I thank you all for giving me the confidence to go for it. I even think some points raised will benefit the whole team too. Ie being sent out to train on aspects of clinical software we dont know....

Tomorrow I research standing desks or something to put on my desk to raise my pc and keyboard.

have a lovely rest everyone xoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - now that is a great update and I'm so so happy to read it, a fantastic effort and it sounds like you really nailed it. Congratulations @Suzette



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can't believe it; once again I just finished posting and there you are with " how are you doing"
So here is an update, last week. I got in a bind at work and ended up having to do significant walking including going up and down 3 flight of stairs. I ended up in a lot of pain. I broke down this weekend and started taking 1, 5 mg oxy and it helped s lot
My replaced knee has been real bad
I told the Therapist and they gave me an excercise which I have been doing and it sort of helped the knee but I have been experiencing sharp pains all the way down to the ankle like sharp electric shocks they run on the inside; minimally pain at the groin and a sharp zap in the ankle. Could this be sciatic ?
So I did notice that the knee pain is better so I have kept doing the exercise regardless. I still walk with a cane sometimes I just think that I'm never going to walk again and then I say well I won't mind walking with s cane if I'm reasonably pain free but hasn't happened either so; we keep trying,
Always pulling for you; you keep our spirits up!
 
Hi @lalo thats funny we keep doing that! I am really sorry your knee is playing up now, its like this never ending journey of new and different aches and pains. Then we spend ages trying to work out why and what causes it, so frustrating. It does sound sciatic though, it feels like a stinging electric and sometimes burning feeling . My back gives me sciatica down the outside of my left leg to my ankle, but now I get sciatic pain down my right leg but this is more down the back of the leg to my ankle. I am hoping this is being caused by the piriformis muscle irritating the sciatic nerve, which runs near, or in some people it runs through the muscle.
I just hope it's not my back causing sciatica in both legs.
Are you still getting the butt pain too? Maybe that horrid feeling is coming from the piriformis?

Maybe you need to discuss this pain with your GP, to see if they can pin point whether your knee is irritating a nerve , your hip irritating a nerve or your piriformis is causing it. Then at least you will know what to focus on.

Wonder if josephine can help with some info.

And if the oxycontin helps then you need to take it. I had to take tramadol last night just to be able to sit down, hadn't taken that for some time, but I needed it and it worked.

Can you have a chat at work about the issues of too much walking, going up stairs, standing , sitting etc. I found it tricky, but today was easier as they were stuck in an office with me and couldn't run off or answer the phone, so had to listen. Next time I am going to request a meeting instead if getting stressed out.

Just thinking, does a tight IT band cause this type of pain you are having? I will see what I can find out.

I hope you rest and if at work please don't go up stairs a lot , maybe you need more time to recover, can you have more time?

Thinking if you and I too hope one day there will be no pain.xx
 
@lalo had a look round Internet about nerve pain , burning stinging etc. It can be caused just by your muscles generally being tight and going into spasm irritating what ever nerve is in the vicinity of the problem muscles. So it could be your muscles in the leg because of your possible new gait, your knee pain and your new hip on top if your walking loads and going up stairs etc

I really would go to a GP just to put your mind at rest. At least if you know your knee and hip are ok then your therapist should be able to help if it's the muscles causing it.

Good luck x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom