Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Legin and @AndyH99 hope you are both ok. I am still in my OMG where has the pain gone in the day, I need to drop the pain meds down now to see where it is at, but am a bit scared to try in case it's still there but is now manageable with the meds...I need to do it though.

The government don't tell you anything, my dad had parkinsons and I assumed he was claiming care allowance, he wasn't. No one had told him and his social worker hadn't either. I was shocked, and this happens to so many people. It's worse now as it's called PIP or something like that. @Legin, have you investigated that, as it covers mobility and you have that foot problem etc that I can't remember the name of , is it CRPS ?

It's great @AndyH99 that you have the knowledge of managing teams and tricky situations etc, but don't forget you now need to look after yourself and your new hips when going back to work, so don't forget to ask for some support for yourself, as you would have shown your collegues. ..

isn't it funny that when we need a helping hand sometimes, we never ask ...
Xx
 
@Suzette I hear you and your guess is right, I do need to take care of myself for a change. I'm doing my damnedest to stay on the straight and narrow this time, it's too important to mess up.

Be careful with your steps in reducing your meds and make allowances for how long some will take to reduce in your system before you reduce further. Many moons ago I tried the quick route following my shoulder remodelling and it wasn't pretty & was also rather painful!

In relation to your next steps in back to work and everything that entails, just remember, you've just successfully negotiated a horrible pre-op stress period, major surgery on both hips and the key first stages of your recovery - as you've managed that how much trouble can a few people, the boss and a couple of work related problems really be! You can handle it, from how you've communicated on the forum I believe you can, but you also know we're still here if you need to rant or vent a bit.

Good luck, sleep as well as you can and have a great recovery day

And

Thank You


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99 thanks and its funny really I telling you to look after yourself with work and then you are reminding me about being careful with reducing the pain meds. I hadnt thought about the build up in the system. I will be careful and gradual.

Its funny with work, I dont like confrontation and I know she, the boss will be confrontational. I have tried, in conversation this week to bring things up casually about tiredness, stamina, pain on sitting etc and she ignores what am saying and changes the subject. When I said about the fact it was 2 major ops she replied with no it wasnt, you cant use that as an excuse.....

Hence the meeting with HR lady being there, as she listens puts things into perspective understands and comes up with a solution that is considerate to all. I can not communicate with the boss on a one to one, as she has tunnel vision and does not listen or attempt to understand the consequences of this op to the body and mind.

Personally I think she needs to start taking HRT to get the mood swings under control !!!......
 
I'm with Andy on be careful on med reduction speak to go about it mine was v helpful re this. Re PIP I have been told I won't get it as I can walk 50m no matter what pain level also I can cook a meal. Its wrong I'm managing now but I know someone who can't drive thru disability but can get a bus where they live there is two buses a day but they list their PIP as they could get a bus to work, buses at 10 and 2pm sheeesh.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Soooo chortling re HRT. Hope meeting goes well I'm sure it will as boss is ignoring all your attempts to communicate. If it continues i would keep most communication in e mail form as then her reply is in writing. I have supported several people thru similar. She is daft as you only get out from employees as a manager what you put in.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Had 3rd deep massage and medical acupuncture today. Ooh she stuck her elbow in my glutes and down my thigh...got a bit of an ache now. Refined the exercises I need to do to get quads and glutes going, and some core exercises for my back, oh and some IT band stretches that wont irritate the back problem I have.

Have one more session to go. Fingers crossed things stay on the up. She advised on how to reduce pain meds carefully. Decided not to take any more of the Zopiclone sleeping meds as they make me feel really sick and very out of it until about 1pm the next day. Been and bought the UK version of benedryl.

So all you hippies out there , have a lovely weekend and keep on healing

xx
 
Please do take it easy with the exercise and massage @Suzette ! You didn't get to where you are now in a week, and you won't recover in a week!

Did you get the Melatonin yet?
 
Yup I have been there for me it was crumbles esp the 26th, its our Christmas day long story. Anyway I did as I usually do got all prep done made breakfast, then half way dishing up apparently I went white and had to sit down. Anyway just wee steps at a time.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks for reminding me guys. Because I was slipping into the over do it mode again, my butt muscles ache today from doing the clenching etc and from the massage stuff. Thigh had the ache too.

So today I am not going to be doing any of the clenching exercises. Although just been to asda and shopped so thats enough I thinks.

No, the melatonin hasnt arrived, I hope it does soon, as I took a 50mg Nytol (benedryl ) and nothing happened. Light off, got in comfy position and 2 hours later I am still awake. Was seriously drowsy this morning though!!

Will try again tonight after behaving myself today

Xx
 
Good luck with that, for some reason my body still doesn't want to let me sleep so there I was last night between 2am and 4am messing around on Bonesmart and Facebook. I so hope that sleep comes again soon.

@Suzette now behave, go sit in that comfy chair, feet up, ice packs in place and have a doze to the Sunday afternoon film. And stop those butt clenches - we can still see you!! Lol

Have a great day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Blimey I could not sit still today, sat down stood up, put film on then stood up again. My glutes are telling me they exist so have not clenched any, just in case you can see me... am now lying down in bed as that stops me getting up again.
 
Lol - so you're probably just about ready to climb the walls then, it might be time for that gentle PT session before sleep time then. Whatever you end up doing sleep well And I hope the insomnia stays away for a change. If it doesn't then enjoy dancing in the garden with the fairies.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I will do some gentle quad ones as my other muscles ache!! I hope you get sleep too ! :tiredwheel::sleep:
 
Hope you slept some. Yup you feel you want to be so active but the muscles say holllllllld on there. I reg did the clam and crab exercises when on the sofa or bed. Both good for glutes and when on tummy lift leg. Oh only if you are allowed those yet.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just came looking for you to see how things are with you. Hope the recovery is heading in the right direction and the sleeping is improving. I am still sleeping on my back with pillows packed around as I find this the most comfortable.Hope to go out like a light tonight as I went back to school today. It went well but feeling very tired.
 
Hi @forestje how was your first day back? Was it hard going? Did your hip behave?

I am in work 10 to 4 this week and today was the first day I didnt start feeling really tired by 2 ish. I managed 5.5 hours sleep last night. I took gabapentin to see if that would help with the pain I keep getting in my right thigh and a nytol. This combination seemed better than the sleeping tablet that made me weird!!

Sitting at work is a bit of a problem. Have tried 3 chairs now and am still getting that burning pain in the thigh. Ended up standing up. Then my desk is too low and theres no way the boss will pay 300 quid for a standing desk. So have ordered a seat wedge to see if that helps.

@Legin I have behaved myself since the weekend and just taken dog for walk and no exercising. Things have calmed down now.

Just need to try and work out what to do about sitting down for a long period on office chair or driving. Had comments made by boss when I said I wasn't happy about driving long distances 3 days running and she said, well assume you have a health reason for that.....now has requested an appraisal / meeting next monday.

@Jaycey @Josephine can you offer any advice in respect of the best seating position. I have ordered a seat pad which isnt a total wedge shape. But I am not sure if a wedge helps or not in fact I am running out of ideas. Driving is an issue as the thigh pain /burn is in my right so is brake and accelerator. My bottom hurts sotting on it too.

This is the same thigh/hip that is actually really painful if I lie on my left side. I am having massage on the right thigh and butt.

Thanking you x
 
I find sitting still difficult due to pain in my coccyx so I use a doughnut cushion someone gave me from Mothercare.Have to say it as been a godsend today.You can also buy a coccyx wedge from Argos. It just takes the pressure off and eases the dull ache.
Hope the meeting goes alright on Monday.Your boss does not sound very sympathetic.
Take care x
 
She isnt. Never thought of argos. Will take a look now. Having no bottom and no bottom muscles is not helping!!

I am so glad your day was a good one

X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom